Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
Jim

Lippert through the frame electric slide failure

We purchased our 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26 RLS TT in June 2014. This last 2016 Memorial weekend we packed up the camper after a great weekend of camping and almost ready to hook up and the slide would not retract. No warning at all nor any noises or inclination the slide had any issues. I initially diagnosed it was not the motor as it ran normal, no abnormal noises and turned the mechanism like it should. Except their was apparently a mechanical failure of some kind on the opposite end of the trailer at the slide but underneath the under covering where we could not see it. The manual cranking in of the slide did not work. Trying to keep this short... While at the campground we eventually were able to contact a tech at an RV dealer who advised it had to be a mechanical failure and was not something that could be field repaired. He suggested my wife activate the retract button while myself and a few volunteer campers help me push the slide in. We dropped the camper off at Camping World that same day and the next day I made a personal appearance to schedule the repair and to confirm we would be under warranty. Fast forward.. Camping World had my rig for about a month when I finally got word that Jayco would cover the repairs under the expiring factory warranty but since it was the week of July 4th neither Jayco nor Lippert could provide or accept part orders due to factory shutdowns for the holidays. So, it is 4th of July weekend when we should be camping and appears we won't get our rig back for another 30 days minimum. Camping World advised that Lippert has to make an entire slide system as they don't make just the part we need by itself and that will take 2-3 weeks not including shipping and rescheduling into a bay for the repairs (Yes, there are 3 additional failure repairs needed besides the slide that are also covered under the warranty). It is just my wife and I, no pets, no kids, and we don't abuse our trailer. Along with previous warranty work soon after we purchased our camper here are the stats.. We have owned our rig for 2 years... Camping world, after these repairs, will have had it in their possession for warranty work approximately 6 plus months out of those two years. I am grateful Jayco is honoring the repairs under the warranty but my frustration meter has really kicked in to HIGH!
Equalizer 4 10K Hitch System
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Camping World had my rig for about a month when I finally got word that Jayco would cover the repairs under the expiring factory warranty but since it was the week of July 4th neither Jayco nor Lippert could provide or accept part orders due to factory shutdowns for the holidays.
So how is this JAYCO's fault?

Sure sounds like CAMPING WORLD dropped the ball. It doesn't take 30 days to diagnose the problem and get JAYCO to approve repairs. Had they checked it when it was dropped off you'd be camping.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Agree, It's the pits but it sounds like Jayco is stepping up as soon as someone let them know. CW is known around here for dragging their feet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
CW is known around here for dragging their feet.
+1 collected full $$ for new theater seats plus tax, 4-6 week wait. Finally came in just short of 3 months and then wanted more $$. Couple hrs of screwing around & parts manager finally "fixed" the price to show paid in full.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #5

So did it take Jayco 30 days to respond to Camping World or did Camping world drag their feet in making the request for coverage?
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahbob View Post
So did it take Jayco 30 days to respond to Camping World
Doubt it, I had A/C issues on the road and JAYCO authorized mobile repair in less than an hour.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
So how is this JAYCO's fault?

Sure sounds like CAMPING WORLD dropped the ball. It doesn't take 30 days to diagnose the problem and get JAYCO to approve repairs. Had they checked it when it was dropped off you'd be camping.

Admittedly I am venting to a great degree.. Camping World did drop the ball in getting info to Jayco in a timely manner for the warranty approval. However, that does not diminish the several issues I have had with this travel trailer. I have RV'd for many years, am not naive, and realize things do go wrong, break, stop working and need to repaired/replaced. However, for a 2 year old rig the list is just too long so am not letting Jayco off the hook that easy.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 07-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Admittedly I am venting to a great degree.. However, for a 2 year old rig the list is just too long so am not letting Jayco off the hook that easy.
I think a lot depends on what the issues are. If it is do to component failures I think you have to go easy. I've gone through 3 A/C units in 12 months ( Coleman Heat Pumps), but I can't fault JAYCO it was a COLEMAN design flaw. Just like in 07 & 08 NORCOLD fridge doors were failing on SENECAS, again nothing JAYCO caused, but they were quick to replace doors, some even after the 2 yr warranty expired.

Also in both cases my dealer was quick to get a resolution as well.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Agree, It's the pits but it sounds like Jayco is stepping up as soon as someone let them know. CW is known around here for dragging their feet.
Obviously my frustration tilt meter went off the charts in my original post and I'm still kinda there but you are correct.. Not really Jayco's fault it was CW's and the vendors for the mechanical failure I am dealing with. I know the service manager and technician very well at CW and they are very good. The mess up really occurred with the CW service adviser. Only reason I took it to CW is because that is where I bought it and they have a long record of other service on this trailer from the previous warranty work. I plan to have a talk with the technician after the repairs are completed to learn more about what actually occurred with the slide system failure. The better half and i plan to go full time in a different RV in a couple of years and knowledge as they say is power.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 07-15-2016, 05:23 AM   #10
Jim

Update to our warranty repairs. Although I had called CW and left messages had not heard from them to get an update on our repairs. They have had our rig since 5/31. So I walked into the service department yesterday afternoon to have that conversation and was advised the repairs were fully completed 2 days ago ?? No phone call. I did speak with the technician about the slide issues and learned what I needed. the Ram Arm had totally failed and had to be replaced. So, picking up the trailer today and hopefully no further issues with the slide.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 07-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #11

I haven't had the "Pleasure" of dealing with the service department of the Camping World location where we purchased our trailer but if it is anything at all like the buying experience I'm sure it will not be a fun time.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #12

Kind of makes you wonder why anybody even goes to CW at all.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I will never go back...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:

Because it is not just "CW". You'll have the same with many dealers also. When I go into many of these service departments some are in total disarray. Too many chiefs and very few to do the manual labor. Service managers, service advisors etc..... I was in heavy equipment for 30 years. 1 service manager, 1 parts manager per location and he would handle the whole show. It just amazes how these places run and realize profit. And to top it off, if you called for warranty you didn't get a answering machine. They weren't allowed, times have changed....
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Because I wanted to buy a Jayco trailer, and the nearest Jayco dealer that isn't CW is several hundred miles away. And no guarantee that they wouldn't be every bit as terrible to deal with for warranty work. At least there are three CW locations to choose from here (one is shop only, other two are retail + shop).
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #16
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Because it is not just "CW". You'll have the same with many dealers also. When I go into many of these service departments some are in total disarray. Too many chiefs and very few to do the manual labor. Service managers, service advisors etc..... I was in heavy equipment for 30 years. 1 service manager, 1 parts manager per location and he would handle the whole show. It just amazes how these places run and realize profit. And to top it off, if you called for warranty you didn't get a answering machine. They weren't allowed, times have changed....
Excellent point. What I have found holds true regardless of what you are having repaired.. an appliance, your car, your plumber... etc. So, I handpicked the service advisor at our CW who is excellent, knows his stuff, and regardless how busy he is makes you feel as if you are the only customer he has dealt with that day. Secondly, I have developed a relationship with the service manager and a couple of the technicians who I request by name when I take my rig in. My service adviser makes sure they take care of me. The catalyst that made me start this thread was an inexperienced service advisor (because my fav one was on vacation) and her inability to make things happen. When I use any service facility they don't realize it but I am interviewing them.. I ask lots of questions about experience, who I would be working with, and can I meet the technician/mechanic/foreman etc. That's how I work .. relationships trump price every time.
P2 Brake Controller
Full Timer Wanna-be's
Old 07-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #17

Jayco is the only trailder that comeswitha 2 year warranty. I'm glad of that because I use it for the full 2 years that I had mt trailer. Nothing big but still a lot of little stuff that should have been caught before it every left the factory.
Once the dealer gets the RV they have to diagnose the problem before they can contact Jayco for authorization for repair. So they have to write up a work order and you have to wait your turn for a service man to diagnose it. Even if you know the problem they cannot take your word for it.
1 of my problems was a warped pantry door, very obvious but the dealer could not order it until it had an order request by the tech and pictures sent to Jayco.
Here is the gap in the door, very obvious that it needs to be replaced

Then the trim on my slide started falling apart, this stuff is just press wood with wood grain shelf paper on it. Another 4 weeks waiting for Jayco approval.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #18

The entire process is flawed and out of date!!! My trailer has been at the dealer for 3 weeks and as of today nothing has been fixed. Still waiting on approvals and parts per dealer. Called Jayco and per the Jayco customer service department "its taking 2-4 weeks for parts to show up at the dealership once the repairs are approved". I feel like I'm living in the 70's! It shouldn't take 2-4 weeks for parts to arrive at the dealer. I was hoping for one more vacation/weekend prior to school starting. Not looking good!!!
brianhawley66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhawley66 View Post
The entire process is flawed and out of date!!! My trailer has been at the dealer for 3 weeks and as of today nothing has been fixed. Still waiting on approvals and parts per dealer. Called Jayco and per the Jayco customer service department "its taking 2-4 weeks for parts to show up at the dealership once the repairs are approved". I feel like I'm living in the 70's! It shouldn't take 2-4 weeks for parts to arrive at the dealer. I was hoping for one more vacation/weekend prior to school starting. Not looking good!!!
Jayco does this to limit warranty exposure, our unit was in shop from Feb 9 to July 20th. Totally unusable...........
Attached Thumbnails
20160608_163009000_iOS.jpg   20160608_163003000_iOS.jpg  
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #20

Sorry to hear that! I don't want the unit anymore after doing more research and wish we would have went with a cabin in the woods. This is not the camping experience we expected.
brianhawley66 is offline   Reply With Quote