Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2024, 08:09 PM   #1

Lithium Battery to Replace 6V Golf Cart Battery

My 2022 Jay Flight SLX 8 242BHSW came with 2 batteries the sales guy described as golf cart batteries. They are GC110 Deep Cycle batteries. After just 2 years of use, they won't hold a charge so need to be replaced.

These batteries are inside 2 plastic clamshell holders attached to the tongue between the camper and the propane tanks.

I was thinking of replacing them with lithium batteries as I should get a better usage life out of them. Does anyone know a lithium battery that has similar physical dimensions to the existing batteries?
steigw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:08 PM   #2

I can't give you a specific battery recommendation, but be aware that by just substituting lithium for a flooded lead/acid may require an additional "step" to ensure your system can fully charge lithium batteries.

Your onboard converter MAY have a switch that will allow full charging of lithium batteries. If you have a converter manual or can Google one for your specific converter it may tell you if it can be lithium-compatible. In my older (2014) rig I had to replace the original converter to one that was lithium-compatible.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steigw View Post
My 2022 Jay Flight SLX 8 242BHSW came with 2 batteries the sales guy described as golf cart batteries. They are GC110 Deep Cycle batteries. After just 2 years of use, they won't hold a charge so need to be replaced.

These batteries are inside 2 plastic clamshell holders attached to the tongue between the camper and the propane tanks.

I was thinking of replacing them with lithium batteries as I should get a better usage life out of them. Does anyone know a lithium battery that has similar physical dimensions to the existing batteries?
Looking at this, these are a GC2 battery size which is slightly bigger and taller than a traditional Group 24 12v battery. You would need to check the sizes, however, there is a Lithium Group 24 battery that is 100ah that would definitely fit. The Mini's would most likely also. You would have to wire them in parallel rather than in series like your current battery is wired.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I can't give you a specific battery recommendation, but be aware that by just substituting lithium for a flooded lead/acid may require an additional "step" to ensure your system can fully charge lithium batteries.

Your onboard converter MAY have a switch that will allow full charging of lithium batteries. If you have a converter manual or can Google one for your specific converter it may tell you if it can be lithium-compatible. In my older (2014) rig I had to replace the original converter to one that was lithium-compatible.
I'm fortunate in that my controller does support lithium. I have an option to change battery type to lifePO4. The controller is a gpelectric.com GP-PWM-30-SQ 12 volt 30amp controller.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Looking at this, these are a GC2 battery size which is slightly bigger and taller than a traditional Group 24 12v battery. You would need to check the sizes, however, there is a Lithium Group 24 battery that is 100ah that would definitely fit. The Mini's would most likely also. You would have to wire them in parallel rather than in series like your current battery is wired.
Wow; this is good to know. Thanks for this info. What do you think of this battery?https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...904010ad0&th=1
Old 05-18-2024, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:

I have a 2022 Jay Feather. I swapped my group 24 lead acid for a like sized 100ah lithium.

My converter has a tiny toggle switch that you can change from LA (lead acid) to LI (lithium) I bought a group 24 SIZED lithium battery that fit the standard tongue battery box on my camper.

Check your converter make & model, to search for lithium compatibility.

Here's the thread (WITH PHOTOS) where I asked questions, then ultimately found the toggle switch on my converter panel. There's a photo I found in a search and a photo of my actual converter panel. I hate the ad placement box on this website because it can interfere with viewing photos. On my computer, the photo of my actual converter box had the website ad right over the area where the toggle switch is located.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...es-106586.html
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Wow; this is good to know. Thanks for this info. What do you think of this battery?https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...904010ad0&th=1
Some people in other groups are happy with the Power Queen line. Check out Will Prose's YouTube channel, he may tear one apart and give his opinion.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:44 AM   #8

Quote:
I watched a lot of battery tear down videos. LiTime appeared to be a good budget battery with a decent build quality. I ended up buying a LiTime 100ah group 24 sized battery. It has BMS but no bluetooth or warmers. I don't need all that. I don't cold camp and take my batteries off the tongue for indoor storage in the winter. It goes on sale every so often. I got mine for $259.

Right now it is offered at $254.99
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 6.44.03 AM.jpg  
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
I watched a lot of battery tear down videos. LiTime appeared to be a good budget battery with a decent build quality. I ended up buying a LiTime 100ah group 24 sized battery. It has BMS but no bluetooth or warmers. I don't need all that. I don't cold camp and take my batteries off the tongue for indoor storage in the winter. It goes on sale every so often. I got mine for $259.

Right now it is offered at $254.99
Thanks for the info. I live in the boise ID area and it does get cold and snowy here. Would I need to remove Lithium batteries and store them inside during the winter?

My current set up is 2 group 24 batteries each in their own plastic clamshell. Is there a different setup where I could turn batteries sideways and line up 3 or maybe 4 of them in a single plastic clamshell?
Old 05-20-2024, 05:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I live in the boise ID area and it does get cold and snowy here. Would I need to remove Lithium batteries and store them inside during the winter?

My current set up is 2 group 24 batteries each in their own plastic clamshell. Is there a different setup where I could turn batteries sideways and line up 3 or maybe 4 of them in a single plastic clamshell?
If you do not cold camp and park your camper for winter and you don't have access or a way to trickle charge the batteries on the tongue, then yes, take them off the tongue and bring inside.

I don't cold camp, so taking my lithium off the tongue (or any battery for that matter) is what I choose to do. I keep them on trickle charge for the winter, inside. I have access to my camper at my home. I can change via shore power, but still choose to take the batteries off the tongue, for the best chance at a long life.

You can assemble a battery bank any way you'd ike, if it fits the space. Remember though, batteries are heavy, even lithium when you're talking about multiples, so you need to watch your tongue weight.

You could buy a long tongue box and assemble your battery bank inside that or you could move your batteries inside the camper, to a convenient space under a bed or dinette seat, etc. This idea is good for those who camp in winter as it keeps the batteries warm and protected.

I'm a light camper, so two on the tongue is all I need and it's easy to take them off and bring them inside during my off-season.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:34 AM   #11

I'd need to change how the batteries are wired from parallel to serial. Do you know how that is done?
Old 05-22-2024, 11:25 AM   #12

There are a bunch of different battery box options. I'm assuming you have two plastic boxes that each battery is in. You can replace those easily with larger boxes that will fit LiFePO4 batteries that are sometimes awkward sizes. You can even go extreme like I did with a 300 Ah battery and custom fabricated storage box.

Regarding wiring, your GC batteries are 6V so they are wired in series to make 12V. The lithium are already 12V (or higher and you don't want that). If you get a single battery you just match up positive and negative to camper wires. If you get multiple, you need short wires to connect positive to positive and negative to negative before connecting camper wiring to one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6532.jpg   IMG_6533.jpg  
fountaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
Some people in other groups are happy with the Power Queen line. Check out Will Prose's YouTube channel, he may tear one apart and give his opinion.

Here is a teardown on hobotech. He is sponsored but honest

https://youtu.be/T9txs-zkUtg?si=zgObDTt-Fne2pQaj

I bought this one and it’s working well on our first trip
br1anw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:19 AM   #14

Note: Regarding. Lithiums. For maximum life and duty cycles:

You should never park lithium batteries for any storage time at full charge. You should not trickle charge a lithium in storage. It doesn't need it in storage. You should leave lithium batteries around 50% charge for long term storage. Lithium self discharge is far less than lead acid. You should make sure you have a battery shut off switch. Lithiums do not like trickle discharge.

All this info is usually on a good lithium battery web site. It's in the owners manual... At least in mine.
LiTime, Enjoybot are 2 Chinese companies that have good reputations for quality products. I bought a 200amp Enjoybot lithium almost 2 years ago. I moved it inside under the dinette close to the power center. My WFCO 8955 did not have lithium capability. i bought a new main board(cheap). Found out later it wasn't needed. Lithium batteries have their longest life cycles if their SOC stays between 80% and 20%. A standard charger will charge the lithium to only about 80% ! Which is good. The only reason a lithium charger i is needed is to balance the cells a couple of times a year.That requires the higher voltage a lithium charger will do.
Yes, the charge profile for lithium is different. A standard WFCO charger will drop out of bulk charge after 4 hours by default. So you would need to reset the bulk charge for a lithium. (Turn off breaker and turn back on.) So from that standpoint, the lithium charger is better.

Regardless, read up on storage temps for lithium. Your battery should be able to stay outside in storage in normal winter temps. Most lithiums can be used down to zero, but not charged at that temp unless set up for cold weather temp protection with a heater pad. Most standard lithiums cannot be charged below 32 degrees. Again, please read up on the manufacturer's website for all this info.

I have been following lithiums now for 2.5 years and still finding new info! I'm not an expert but the above I've learned by reading and following lithium posts. Hope this helps. There is a lot of misinformation, mostly old thoughts on lithium, out there. The latest batteries being built are far better than those of 2 or 3 years ago. The BMS ( battery management system) in them are far better. Many more come standard with could weather protection now.

David
P.S. I went from a single 12 volt lead acid, to 2 6 volt GC2 batteries which worked great ...to my 200 amp lithium. I can now go 5 days boondocking without charging. I converted all 16 of my interior light bulbs to led. My porch light is now led as well. We conserve but aren't stingy.

Sorry for the long post....
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:25 AM   #15

My set up

2 pictures of my set up. I left the 2 wires going to the tongue that the lead acid batteries used to go to the power center. Rewired power center so the 2 battery charging wires now go to the lithium battery instead. The tongue wires can now be used to add a portable solar suitcase for charging. Or as an emergency 12 power supply to power my 12 volt Viair tire inflator.

Bottom picture wiring isn't complete. But will give you an idea.
Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20230923_090919122.jpg   20221008_111542.jpg  
Old 05-31-2024, 10:25 PM   #16

I purchased 2 Power Queen 12.8V 100Ah batteries and wired them in parallel. The batteries came charged about 50% and they are reporting (via the batteries BMS) that it will take over 50 hours to charge them. They are charging with 1A / 13.3V / 13.9W. Does this seem correct? I mean 50 hours? And I have the trailer plugged into a 120V shore power. I don't have a 30amp connection at home. It is surprising to me to see such a long charge time.
Old 05-31-2024, 11:10 PM   #17

Why are you charging at only 1amp?
What is the potential output of your charging system?
Old 05-31-2024, 11:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
Why are you charging at only 1amp?
What is the potential output of your charging system?
I have a gpelectric.com GP-PWM-30-SQ 12 volt 30amp controller. All I can do is select battery type which I set to lithium. I don’t know how to change the amperage.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:39 AM   #19

That charger is a solar controller. It's charges batteries using solar panel.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
That charger is a solar controller. It's charges batteries using solar panel.
I have a 2022 Jay Flight SLX 8 242BHSW Rocky Mountain Edition. It has a single solar panel on the roof with the gp-pwm-30-sq solar controller. It came with 2 6V golf cart batteries wired in serial so we'd get 12V. Batteries died after 2 years and so I upgraded to the 2 Power Queen 12V 100Ah Bluetooth LiFePO4 Battery, Group 24 Deep Cycle Batteries. These are wired in parallel.

The battery BMS was asleep as the owners manual said it would be and I couldn't get a reading on them. So I just put them in last night and it was dark enough when I finished the solar controller wouldn't allow me to change the settings from WET to LifePo, so I plugged the camper in. That did wake the BMS up so I could see the settings of the battery and could change the controller to LifePo settings.

Is there some sort of switch in the camper itself that would change how it charges them when plugged in to shore power? This morning the battery BMS is shut down again and I haven't gone out to figure out why I can't get any readings on them.

But it sounds like the charging at this point is by passing the solar charger and should be the camper itself.

Tags
batteries, golf cart batteries, lithium