Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Little blue inline water filter

I did not read the box on these filters, about 2" dia. about 10" long. Can you use these time after time? or are they one and done?

if you can use time after time, how do you know how long to use them? and is there concern about them drying out, or will the water become moldy after a while

thanks, any input is welcome
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Those (Camco?) filters are good for one season, then throw it away. We camp about 5 or six times a year (about 30 days or so) and put a new one on first time out, and toss it after the last one.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Those (Camco?) filters are good for one season, then throw it away. We camp about 5 or six times a year (about 30 days or so) and put a new one on first time out, and toss it after the last one.
Same.

I buy the 2-pack every other season.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #4

I use the same water filter and get a new one each season. In between trips I keep it in the fridge.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I use the same water filter and get a new one each season. In between trips I keep it in the fridge.
X2
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

They can be used until you notice the water pressure dropping, depending on how clean the incoming water is. I cap mine between uses, and flush it really well before hooking it back up to the incoming water supply... You never know what's "growing" inside between uses...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:02 PM   #7

I always worry the filters will start to mildew so I use one for each camping trip. If I move locations over a two week period, I keep the same filter, but if I take one trip in March and then another trip in June, I use a different filter. It gets expensive, but it makes me feel better.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #8

Camco uses something called KDF media to prevent the growth of mildew and bacteria allowing it to go all season. I always flush well before connecting each time. We’ve never had a problem, knock on wood.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Camco uses something called KDF media to prevent the growth of mildew and bacteria allowing it to go all season. I always flush well before connecting each time. We’ve never had a problem, knock on wood.
X2.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Same here but we camp about 50 to 60 nights a year. New one every season.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
I did not read the box on these filters, about 2" dia. about 10" long. Can you use these time after time? or are they one and done?

if you can use time after time, how do you know how long to use them? and is there concern about them drying out, or will the water become moldy after a while

thanks, any input is welcome
One more VERY important tidbit. Hook up a hose to the new filter, but NOT to the TT, and turn the water on. You'll see a lot of black water come out. It's the loose (charcoal?) media flushing out. Flush until the water's clear and then hook it to the TT. If you don't, all the black stuff ends up in your plumbing. I'd rather not say how I know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
Same here but we camp about 50 to 60 nights a year. New one every season.
You folks are having WAY too much fun out there!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #12

Yeah, forgot to mention that I flush the line before I hook it up. Between the filter sitting in my storage compartment, and the hose sitting in the same compartment between uses, even though I screw the hose ends together and cap the filter, you never know. Best to flush it a bit before you hook up.

And here's something I learned last time out: flush the spigot too. Last CG we stayed at on the way home, I just so happened to turn on the spigot before I had my regulator/hose/filter screwed on and a bit of brown water came out. Glad I ran it before I hooked up! And now I'll flush EVERY spigot before I hook up!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

And here's something I learned last time out: flush the spigot too. Last CG we stayed at on the way home, I just so happened to turn on the spigot before I had my regulator/hose/filter screwed on and a bit of brown water came out. Glad I ran it before I hooked up! And now I'll flush EVERY spigot before I hook up!
Ha... been there, done that...

We rented a 23 footer last Fall as a trial before we bought this rig. We stayed in a KOA, and being new to the motorhome world, didn't know about flushing the hose bib. Hooked up water, lifted the handle, and tons of muddy water filled the rig..... oops...

So now, I ALWAYS flush the hose bib before hooking up, and even wipe down the threads as the water is flushing. THEN, I hook up the pressure reducer, blue filter and hose, and turn on the hose bib again and flush all that really good. Then, it gets finally connected to the rig.....

Zero problems following that procedure!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
?..So now, I ALWAYS flush the hose bib before hooking up, and even wipe down the threads as the water is flushing...
X2. Our last trip I watched the neighboring camper holding his sewer hose up to the FW hose bib and rinse it thoroughly. Ugh. You never know what the camper before you did...
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #15

We change it once a year. I left out the internal RV filter Last tank cleaning and just use the Camco in-line. We don’t ever drink or mouth rinse with the tank or park water, I don’t think I should double filter if not drinking. Unless someone thinks differently I’d like to hear a few comments?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
We change it once a year. I left out the internal RV filter Last tank cleaning and just use the Camco in-line. We don’t ever drink or mouth rinse with the tank or park water, I don’t think I should double filter if not drinking. Unless someone thinks differently I’d like to hear a few comments?
I left the inside filter out too, and just use the blue inline filter.

But, why not drink the tank water or the water coming through the blue filter? I fill my tank with the same water I use at home to drink, make coffee, brush my teeth, cook, etc. Sounds strange not to drink it in the rig.

The blue filter has a carbon filter in it, which does a good job of filtering. There are a ton of other things you put in your mouth during the day that are a lot more dangerous than the water from the campground.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #17

I use both filters.

In the spring I make sure I sanitize the entire fresh water system to include refrigerator ice maker and fresh water hose. After the system is sanitized I install a new whole house water filter element. When we a prepping for a trip I will fill my water tank to 25 percent (25 gallons). When connecting to campground water I bleed and sanitize the spigot connect my regulator and in line blue filter.

I change the whole house filter 2 times per year and the blue inline about every third trip.

Overkill - maybe, but nobodies gotten sick and I do plan on starting.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #18

I don’t drink my tank water because I live in south florida, my water smells and taste horrible! And that’s usually what’s in my tank! Also we don’t trust CG water either !
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
They can be used until you notice the water pressure dropping, depending on how clean the incoming water is. I cap mine between uses, and flush it really well before hooking it back up to the incoming water supply... You never know what's "growing" inside between uses...

I watch water pressure but will also replace after about 8 weeks camping. I'm still learning so I will keep stretching it out until I notice a difference in water pressure. I have noticed quite a difference in water quality in campgrounds. When I'm not using it I will cap it and put it in the frig.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #20

Agree with others it’s good for one season! If you have not used your new filter, be sure to connect to source & flush it before connecting to your rv hose! Lots of black water at first.
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote