Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Long term stay for a college kid

Hey guys/gals,.

I'm new to the RV world but I've done some research. I'm separating from the military and going to school on my GI bill. I'll have a part time job and will be able to afford something around 20k but preferably less.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a unit that's just big enough for a guy and his dog. But spacious enough for long term stay and able to be pulled by a Silverado 1500?

You guys are the experts and I will appreciate any help and information

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Brinkmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

You really will need to decide what kind of a floor plan and features you would like. You have 2 dealerships near you, Affinity RV, and Little Dealer in Prescott Valley. Take a look at what units and designs may appeal to you. They will tell you that the TT are not built to be lived in full time or it will void the warranty but people are doing it all the time.

You should be able to find something that would work for you within your budget.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Maromeo gave you the best advice. Nobody can tell you what you will be comfortable with. Go look at a few that appeal to you and then come back and ask some specific questions. And THANK YOU for your service...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

I would definitely look at a local dealers used inventory. Something 3 or 4 years old. Some of them look almost new. I think people get them and dont use them as much as they thought so they get rid of them. If you plan on staying in one place for awhile I would get a trailer bigger than you think you need. What seems cozy at first will start to close in on you after awhile. Maybe rear entertainment area with center kitchen and front bedroom.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

Sounds like a plan. Thank you for the tips!

Old 10-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #6

Welcome to the JOF. I separated from service 50 years ago. Rented a room in a house near school. Didn't have a dog at that time though.

Be sure your floor plan includes enough space for your dog, which you will probably want to leave in a crate, when you are away from the trailer. My dog is #100 black Lab and requires a large crate.

A slide out adds a lot of floor space to a trailer. Also given where you live be sure to get an insulation package and a 15K air conditioner.

Good luck with your civilian life!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #7

Brinkmank Thanks for your service and good luck with college!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

Thanks everyone! Fingers crossed.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #9

Thanks for your service, glad to see my tax dollars going to good use for once!!!

I'm going to give you some odd advice for a Jayco forum... don't buy a Jayco for this purpose. If you are staying in the trailer for long term, you want a trailer that is built for that purpose.

Depending upon where you are going to school you might need to worry about a true 4 season camper. You will most certainly want an extended living designed trailer too. Most travel trailers are meant for occasional use... not full time use.

Your $20K budget likely won't buy you a new extended living trailer, but you should be able to find one that is a couple years old. The furniture, upholstery, appliances, etc are designed for the type of use that you will have.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #10

Thanks for your service! I went to Riddle in Prescott, and it can get cold up there. You definitely want to get something with good insulation.

Former pilot to the rich and famous. Current domestic engineer, head chef, head laundry officer, head dog walker, and pilot volunteer. Lover of tacos and soccer
beechjetpilot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #11

Travel Trailer

If you. never camped in a travel trailer I would suggest renting or possibly borrowing one first. Figure out all the systems and their abilities to support extended stays. Black and grey water tank issues, hot water or lack of, refrigerator, air conditioner issues, etc....

Actually I think it is a great idea, just try to make sure it is gonna work for you before spending 20 grand!

I would try to find a good used Airstream that my truck could tow and go for it!
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #12

B-man,

Have you figured out where you are going to put the camper? If you don't have a safe neighborhood or cool campground that allows extended stay near campus, the room rental or apartment close to campus may make college life a bit easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doboy Dawg View Post
I would try to find a good used Airstream that my truck could tow and go for it!
Every time I see the Airstream campers on television RV channels I can't figure out the big draw. Are they that well built that it makes up for the cramped, narrow floor plans and high price?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #13
Site Team

They are some of the most expensive tt's you will look at.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #14

The longest I've stayed in one was about three months when I was younger and smaller and needed less space. But I found a campground with full hookups within walking distance of the school. But I did find a cheaper place to rent. I'll keep looking but won't rush anything. Im motivated to get a trailer so I'm putting money towards something that's mine and not just borrowing it to someone.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:17 AM   #15

Have you checked out your GI Bill? Will it pay for housing if your living in a camper? Something to check out before you pull the trigger.

tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #16

I lived in a little 23 foot TT for a couple of years while I was still on active duty as a young lad. It was only slightly smaller than a barracks room yet had more amenities and comforts. Once I parked it at a long term site (on base no less) with full hook ups, I got a couple jack stands and raised it so that the tires were about an inch off the ground, then heat taped the main water hose, and the sewer hose and skirted the whole thing. Then I rented a very large stand up propane tank (which usually lasted me 4 months).
I look back on those times very fondly. I got very used to having everything I needed in life within a small space. It gave me a lot of discipline to realize what was truly a need versus a nice to have 'want". Best of all, unlike an apartment, it was all mine. When I changed duty stations, it was easy to pack out and move.
Then I screwed everything up and met a girl...
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjclarke696 View Post
Have you checked out your GI Bill? Will it pay for housing if your living in a camper? Something to check out before you pull the trigger.

Same question... post 9/11 GI Bill has a basic housing allowance built in. Would be pretty cool if they would let you buy a camper with that, might change your options a lot.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #18

Firstly, thank you for your service. Welcome to JOF from a brother in arms.

Post 9/11 GI Bill pays the E5 single rate for housing (based on the school's zip code) direct to the veteran. I transferred my 9/11 bennys to my youngest daughter to go to Baylor University. Without it, she would have been forced to go to State school like UT, A&M, or (Heaven forbid!) Texas Tech!

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #19

I just recent bought a 08 TT that was lived in four days out of seven for the past eight years. Though the trailer was owned by an older gentleman that was very clean and a non smoker, TTs are not really designed to be lived in. Within the last two years the previous owner replaced the fridge and the AC. The motor on the awning was replaced as well as the awning itself. I purchased the TT with a crack in the shower tub. It was an easy replacement but it too had suffered from use it was never designed for.

I do like the idea of not throwing your money away. Having something when you are done with your education seems quite wise. But, be prepared for issues. No TT is designed for steady use.

Best of luck no matter what you decide and if you go the TT route... try to buy a floor plan that has a bit of living space vs a booth and a couch/bed. You will want it.
And, as others have said, thank you for your service!
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #20

You can find a lot of high end used trailers in Az for less than your budget. If you will be spending several years in the trailer you most likely wont need to move it so being half ton towable may not be real important. In Az slides and two air conditioners can be important.

Good luck on your decision.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote