Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2022, 04:01 PM   #1

Looking for a light weight Queen size mattress recommendation

Our 2019 24RBS mattress was not comfortable as others have detailed. I replaced it with a 10" thick Queen size mattress. This made lifting the platform and mattress too heavy when accessing the storage compartment below. Has anyone found a thin (5.5" or less), light weight mattress that is reasonably comfortable for an occasional short camping trip? Thanks
Lafayettemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:22 PM   #2

We found a nice replacement at Mattress Firm if you have one close by.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayettemo View Post
Our 2019 24RBS mattress was not comfortable as others have detailed. I replaced it with a 10" thick Queen size mattress. This made lifting the platform and mattress too heavy when accessing the storage compartment below. Has anyone found a thin (5.5" or less), light weight mattress that is reasonably comfortable for an occasional short camping trip? Thanks
If you want to keep the 10" queen mattress it's possible to replace the gas springs under the bed platform with heavier springs. Not sure you want to do that, maybe use your old mattress with a foam memory topper?

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:07 PM   #4

I'm not sure that there is a lightweight queen... I got a 10" foam, replaced the struts as Yooper suggested.
Lifting mattress to get in storage is easy now....
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:27 PM   #5

Here is what we did. Replaced our mattress with a Zinus 8 inch foam from Amazon. So much better than the original. Added new gas struts to help lift the bed platform, but it was still too heavy for my wife to lift after her shoulder surgery. Then I found a YouTube video on a electric bed lift. Simple installation, removed the gas struts, and now with the push of a button the problem was solved.

Bed Lift: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Switch: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094PP9SDF...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And the video that inspired me to do the job!
Electric bed lift:

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:30 PM   #6

Whatever you do, don’t replace the struts with heavier duty struts. We put an Alls Well mattress in our 28RL and the original struts couldn’t lift the bed so we installed heavy duty struts for heavy queen size mattresses. Took 3 years but the frame broke while trying to lower the bed after accessing the storage. Once I got in there after the trip it became obvious the under-frame was made like crap with small pieces of particle board and wood, and all attached with staples. I just spent the last 3 days gutting the entire under-frame and building a completely new one from real wood, wood glue and 3” securing screws.

The under-frame on the average Jaco are not designed for a heavier mattress. If you go electric and the Mattress is quite a bit heavier than the original the frame will still separate and break at some point, as it will heavier duty struts.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:14 PM   #7

Light weight queen mattress

My wife found a “short queen” (RV mattress) on Wayfair. As I recall there were at least 3 variations. We went with the 8” hybrid (foam and spring combo). The standard lift springs work and we find it very comfortable.
Jims_fmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
Whatever you do, don’t replace the struts with heavier duty struts. We put an Alls Well mattress in our 28RL and the original struts couldn’t lift the bed so we installed heavy duty struts for heavy queen size mattresses. Took 3 years but the frame broke while trying to lower the bed after accessing the storage. Once I got in there after the trip it became obvious the under-frame was made like crap with small pieces of particle board and wood, and all attached with staples. I just spent the last 3 days gutting the entire under-frame and building a completely new one from real wood, wood glue and 3” securing screws.

The under-frame on the average Jaco are not designed for a heavier mattress. If you go electric and the Mattress is quite a bit heavier than the original the frame will still separate and break at some point, as it will heavier duty struts.
-----
But, on the other hand, won't you sleep better for the three years, then a few days beefing it up, then several more years of better sleep?

I beefed up my frame while switching out mattresses nine years ago. No problem.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:59 AM   #9

Well in our case I had to gut the entire under frame and rebuild from scratch which took about 2 days and about $200 in material. I also went from 120 lb. Struts to 80 lb struts, but yes the alls well mattress has been much more comfortable.