Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

Looking to buy a TT....

I am looking to get a camper (TT) by next season, possibly the end of this season if I find a good deal. I have 2 small kids (4 & 6) and a wife to consider. I am 6'6" interior height and main bed length are big considerations. Other things I have on my want/need list are:

Need - Air conditioning, Furnace, Refrigerator, Freezer, Bathroom, Interior Height >= 78", Main bed >= 78"
Want - Outside Shower, TV antenna, CD/DVD/MP3/Radio, bunk beds

I really like the layout (and the price) of the Starcraft AR one 16BH but the interior height is a deal-breaker. So far I am leaning toward the Starcraft Launch 18BH. It seems to have what we need, but there closest Launch in my area is 450 miles away. Anyone have thoughts/experience on this model?

I also found a Jayco 16V that seems to be a similar layout but shorter. As a result main bed is 6" narrower (if my dealers info is correct) and it doesn't have the extra couch. It does seem to be nicer though.

I was really interested in a 2010 Jay Flight 19BH that a local dealer had on their website until I found out the double bed is only 76" and that it had been sold.

Are there any other models that are similar?

My TV is a 2001 F150 Ext Cab 4X4 Off-Road. I am guessing I will need to have a transmission cooler installed (maybe some other stuff) if I tow anything other than an ultralite.
hellerbrewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #2

I should also add that I am trying to stay around 20 feet and avoid any slide-outs or pop-outs.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

Good luck with the bed. Going to be very hard to find anything bigger than a RV Queen in the trailers you are looking at. RV Queen = 60"x75" opposed to a full queen at 60"x80". I'm 6'2" with a wife and 2 kids. We went with 26bh, little longer than you want, but I too was concerned about over all length and didn't want slides. I did however want the kids to have dedicated beds and not have to covert the couch or dinette every night/morning.

Good luck and enjoy the search.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

Yeah, the starcraft 18BH has a dinette that turns into a 54 x 80 bed. My thinking is that most of the time we would just leave it made into a bed as we would do most of cooking and eating outside anyway. If the weather gets bad we can take the bedding off and make it back into a dinette. The more I think about it, the better this option seems. Especially given that most queen beds will be shorter and this would give me the length I need.

Does anyone have any recommendations to make the beds more comfortable? I was thinking a memory foam mattress pad might be helpful.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

Don't forget to look at other brands also. With all the problems our Jayco has had, at our recommendation, our son bought another brand.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #6

We added memory foam to all beds to help with sleeping. We used to convert the table each night to a bed, got to be a big pain real fast.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellerbrewing View Post
I am 6'6" interior height and main bed length are big considerations.
O.k., so there is at least one benefit of being 5'6" .

Seriously, all the best with your search. My wife and I discovered just about any selection of TT comes with some compromise.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #8

Good luck on the search... Being 6'6, you might not find an ultralight with enough headroom. I'm 6'1 and was pushing it in several. The Jay Flights seem to have a bit more headroom, probably a 5th wheel would be best though. The lower areas usually have a lot of headroom and the front, although shorter, often only has your bedroom. I'm not sure about bed length... RV queens in all the trailers we looked at and my feet already hang off! You might have to look for a while for one you're comfortable in.
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote