Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Looking under 5,000 UVW

I have a Jayco Jay Flight G2 23 FB. We have a jeep Grand Cherokee but the towing limit is 5,000 lbs. So we are looking at other light weight trailers with a slide out, around 4500 lbs would be nice. We found a Jayco Jay Feather 254 that we liked but we realized it didn't have a couch. Any one have any suggestions on something we might consider to look at. The Jeep is only 1 year old so I really don't want to sell it and get another vehicle so I can tow more weight.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

I found the Jay Feather to be about the nicest lightweight trailer that we looked at. They just seemed a bit more solid than the competition when we bought ours. We also looked at Surveyors and they were lighter for the same sized trailer so something like that may be the way to go. Aerolites were also very light, but I seemed to hear about a lot of delamination and frame issues when I was researching. The Grey Wolf trailers were also fairly light if I remember but not quite "ultra" lightweight.

Good luck!
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #3

you are pushing your jeep rite to the limit if it's rated for 5000 lbs and you want an rv at 4500 lbs. The unloaded weight for the 254 is 4200 lb + .you should be looking at Gross Vehicle Weight. I think the 254 is at 6500 lbs Be careful getting an RV that is to much for your tv is very dangerous