Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

Lost my awning

Lost an arm on my carefree Colorado Longitude awning last night because of the rain. Already researched the warranty issue and i know I’m out of luck. Question is where is the best place to get a replacement. Luckily i only lost one arm. Tricky thing is. Carefree says they no longer make the black ones and will offer a pair of Compass arms for over $500. Thoughts on best place to get one? I have not called my dealer yet to see what they can get.
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

We lost our forward arm to a heavy rainfall while we were in Florida. We called the local Carefree dealer in the Tampa market that had mobile service.

They came out a couple of days later - replaced the entire arm assembly, lubed the entire awning, aligned the fabric for about $750 (from memory... ) It took two people with 10-FT ladders to do the work with a custom tool they made that attached to the ladder to hold the fabric tube while the arm was being replaced.

We are still very happy with the work and would do that again.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #3

Sorry to hear, I was lucky enough to get replacement arms under warranty when mine bit the dust. I got caught in a wind & rain event while in Custer state park which had come on so fast that by the time I put the chairs back in & started to retract the awning a gust of wind (Must have been 40-50 mph ) caught the awning & the rain started pouring adding to the weight resulting in bent awning arm which actually snapped. I don't use the awning that much but if it goes again I am removing it permanently. Not worth my trouble replacing it. I have a large umbrella I can use to shade the sun if sit outdoors.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #4

I just lost one about a month ago. I bought the the compass upgrade pair for around 500 shipped... I was a little nervous doing the replacement because i had never worked on it before. I ran the Awning all the way out and propped the roller on a ladder. Pulled the locking pin out took the roller out of the arm. 4 self tapers later and the arm was off. One hole didn't line up I put quad sealant on the holes and bolted everything back on. Total time to do both arms and redo the awning and light wires 1.5 hours. This was much easier than i thought to do the switch. I do still have one good latitude front arm with the motor
Tomsmith07401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsmith07401 View Post
I just lost one about a month ago. I bought the the compass upgrade pair for around 500 shipped... I was a little nervous doing the replacement because i had never worked on it before. I ran the Awning all the way out and propped the roller on a ladder. Pulled the locking pin out took the roller out of the arm. 4 self tapers later and the arm was off. One hole didn't line up I put quad sealant on the holes and bolted everything back on. Total time to do both arms and redo the awning and light wires 1.5 hours. This was much easier than i thought to do the switch. I do still have one good latitude front arm with the motor
Are the compass arms that much better? I found a longitude arm for around $275 new
Old 09-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #6

i can't say that they are that much better, but it seems beefier in the area where mine broke.
Tomsmith07401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #7

I contacted the dealer and they said no warranty due to rain or wind. Figured as much.

Chris
Old 09-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #8

My neighbor’s awning arms were damaged and I found some replacements on eBay.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #9

Hi, I am looking for a front powered longitude arm. I am new to the forum but please let me know if you still have one and how to contact you.
Thanks
Ksuboy is offline   Reply With Quote