Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2017, 03:42 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Love those Jayflights!

Jayflight #6 arrived in my driveway Wednesday...our dealer delivered it to us , so havn't had much of a chance to check it over. Quite familier with floorplan, having owned a 27BH some years back. Some would question why two people in their mid 50's , with kids in their early 20's would go back to a bunkhouse! First off, it's the Jayflight, not the SLX. Since it's a '17, there was hardly a difference in price between this one and a 2018 SLX. Here in Canada, trailer prices fluctuate due to the Canadian Dollar vs US Dollar. My dealer had 4 on clearance, at a great price, and they were very fair on my trade. We really liked the 212QBW, but there were times during the night when my DW would nearly push me out of bed,and i would get up and try sleeping on the jack knife sofa. Ya,good luck on that, unless u're a midget. So, do i get creative and rework the sofa and dinette, or do we opt to replace the trailer. We went for door #2! We wanted the 284BHS, which was only a few thousand more, but it would take up the driveway, and there would be no way to take the Stang out of the garage without having to move the trailer, so we went with the shorter 26BH. So, regarding the bunks ....perfect, on the nights where she feels like she needs the entire bed to herself, i can drag myself over to the lower bunk, or even the couch if i prefer, which is a nice sized couch, unlike the mini-sofa in the 212QBW. So, our plan is to use the top bunk for storage ..... a great place to store totes and clothes. The one thing this one is missing is a wardrobe, so i am going to take the unused shower and put a rod across to hang clothes, since the bathroom only gets used for #1,no #2ing! As for the trailer itself, like i said, havn't had a chance to really go over it, though i did do a good clean-up on Wednesday night. These RV cleaning people would never make it in a New Car Dealership. What i can see so far is, there are quite a few differences between the Jayflight and the Jayflight SLX, but would i spend the extra if i had too, i'm not sure. There are just a lot of small things between the two, but at the end of the day, construction wise, both the same ..... same cabinets etc. Just a lot of nice touches one offers over the other. Bigger fridge, enclosed cabinets over the bed, under counter lighting and above the sink lighting, a skylight in the kitchen, which is an option ......and lets not forget the porcelain toilet So, with weather in high 40's low 50's this weekend, i can get her waxed, and check it over better. The only question i have to ask .... who decided to waste 2 pieces of plastic on those standard sink covers? I don't remember them being that thin before .... what a waste, will be making a nice wood one .....guess they make a great template!
Old 11-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new Jay Flight!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
Site Team

Anyone married more than 15 min understands the value of having an alternative sleeping option. I've also found the need to use one of the bunks on occasion........

Anyway, congratulations on the new Jayco. I hope that it brings many years of good memories.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #4

Congratulations! You guys will love it!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
. . . . . . I hope that it brings many years of good memories.
Me too, but Jay's clearly got the Jayco Fever. I give this one 2-3 years tops. I cannot wait to see what he goes for next! I would be right there with him, keeping a fresh Jayco on the drive, but DW and I have to tighten up heading down the retirement home stretch. He sure keeps me inspired and tempted as well.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Me too, but Jay's clearly got the Jayco Fever. I give this one 2-3 years tops. I cannot wait to see what he goes for next! He keeps me inspired!
Lol.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #7

Congratulations!
Will be getting our 2nd Jay Flight next week. Moving from 29BHS G2 to a 34RSBS. Both in our late 50's, kids are grown w their kids, we need room for things like Pack n Play, Cribs etc....
Kids and grandkids are always visiting grandma and grandpa. God willing, looking forward to an awesome camping season with the family. 3 grandchildren under four w a fourth on the way, due Dec 31st. Grandpa looking forward to many hikes and campfires w the grandchildren, maybe even a little Muskie fishing!
Enjoy that new Bunkhouse, nothing like a good nights sleep while camping!
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
Me too, but Jay's clearly got the Jayco Fever. I give this one 2-3 years tops. I cannot wait to see what he goes for next! I would be right there with him, keeping a fresh Jayco on the drive, but DW and I have to tighten up heading down the retirement home stretch. He sure keeps me inspired and tempted as well.

LOL ..... We're right with u on the retirement thing! Keep in mind, some of the Jaycos i owned i purchased in the US ( live close to Detroit/Windsor border), would bring them back over, clean them up nicely, use them for a year or two, than sell it ..... never lost money on them, thanks to Canadian used RV prices ..... but i only looked @ Jaycos, especially the Jayfight, well built best bang for your buck trailers! Also, working in a Chevrolet Dealership, having the right tow vehicle has never been an issue for me
Old 11-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #9

Talking Jayflight

Started waxing it yesterday.... was late arriving home from work, so was only able to get door side done .....thanks in part to my brother-in-law stopping by to check out the new Jayflight ( he just sold his 15 year old Jayco Qwest 5th wheel and bought a 2017 Starcraft Ar-one Maxx 5th wheel from General RV in Detroit), plus, the temps dropped rapidly as the afternoon dragged on.... hopefully get it done today. We had a few beers and went around it, comparing their new Starcraft to my new Jayco. Even though same company, both do some things different. ... the one thing is the color of the cabinets, Starcraft went with a greyish color in '17, where Jayco has the dark rick color, and we were both in agreement the dark wood in the Jayco is much nicer. Both have really nice exterior colors, especially for being aluminum, plus our Jayfight has the aluminum wheels over his steel wheels on the Maxx, and we also like the Skylight in kitchen. Also a first for us is two outlets on the exterior of the trailer, one on each side of the door!
Heres a good one, his Maxx never came with a ladder, where the one he saw in a video General RV had on their website did. First off, i had to inform him the one in the video was not the one he was buying ( bought it on-line, sight unseen), it was a 25, not a 27foot like the his new one. So when he went to get it, and he was doing the walkaroud, he must have said something about not having a ladder .... and the guy told him, if there is no ladder, you should not walk on the roof. I tried to explain to him there is no difference on roof construction between a Maxx with or with out a ladder .... he still doesn't get it!
Old 11-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #10

"and the guy told him, if there is no ladder, you should not walk on the roof. "
That must be the same salesman that when asked why there was no spare tire mounted on the bumper he replied " if there is no spare tire then you shouldn't get a flat"
Couldn't resist.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #11

We do to.

Congrats on the new Jayflight. We Love ours too. I personally think the interior design on the newer Jayflights is one of the best of any RV in it's class. Those funny quips about salesmen explaining and missing accessories are hilarious.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #12

We have the same trailer and use it as a couple's trailer. We took out the top bunk, and put Home Depot wire shelving up on the back wall for clothes, etc..

It's the wife's bed now (hey, she has the big bedroom at home), and it also serves as a great sort of extra hang-out and read room/den during the day.

We bought the trailer with the intent of doing this mod on it.

Hope you enjoy your new 26BH.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #13

Congratulations on your new purchase. We have bunks in our unit and really like them, because of the extra beds if needed (i.e. taking the grand kids along) or they provide for excellent storage when camping.