Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

Low Bridges & GPS

Ready for our three-month RV trip in our White Hawke Jayco 11 ft. high at the AC. We have been on four trips so far and feel we are ready to go on our big trip to the NE up to the New England area. Then I read a thread about Low Bridges, which is something that never crossed my mind. We have a regular GPS that we have used for years. **Questions ** One, are low bridges that big of a problem for Travel Trailers. Two if we encounter a low bridge of 12 feet for us, are there detours before the bridge to get you around them? Three if low bridges are a problem for RVers, then which brand GPS is economical, but reliable?

Thanks!
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

I just came back from NE and I didn't run into any issue with low bridges. One thing I did before I left though is upgraded my GPS from a standard Garmin to the Rand McNally 7710. I've read mixed reviews on the GPS but my own personal experience is it's great. I really used the features... like "what's coming up at exit xyz" or features like "propane prohibited on this route, choose alternate?". Overall, I have to say I am extremely pleased with it.

A friend of mine told me a story. He has a Montana Big Sky that's around 14' high. He checked with the local storage lot that he rented a spot from confirming that he'd have no problems with the height of the unit. On the trip home from picking up the brand new unit from the dealer, he backed into the covered slot and tore off his air conditioner!

ARGH!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

I have towed all over the northeast and as long as you are on main roads you will not have a problem with low bridges. In Acadia NP there are a few low bridges and they are well marked before you get there.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #4

I am 13" 2" exactly when hitched and on level ground so I run a profile for 13'4". I went with the garmin Dezl 560 which allows me to program in my heights and select my RV profile. It did try to route me around a bridge on an interstate that was marked 12'9" but that was on the far right lane where the bridge's lowest point was. There's a national directory by state for low point bridges if you google "low bridge clearences". There are listed by state then route # for easy reference.

Here in NE there are parkways which are banned to trucks, trailers and commercial vehicles. I would be more concered with knowing your road especially if coming through the NY area.

If you want to save a few bucks just buy the 2013 motor carriers atlas which provides highlighted truck routes and low points by state mentioned above in it and run your route through your older GPS. Plan the route ahead of time though and compare it to the GPS which could save some headaches.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote