Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Low-point drain valve fix?

After each trip, I typically open the valves for the hot and cold low-point drains to avoid water sitting in the lines. Then I close them before hooking to city fill. A couple of times now Iíve found one of the valves seems to pop open, allowing constant dripping onto the waste valve cap. Looks like my sewer line is leaking! Pushing down on the low-point valve under the bathroom sink fixes it. The little valves seem cheap and are hard to snap open and closed. Obviously they donít work well and I fear theyíll get worse. Has anyone put a second valve on the ends of the blue and red lines under the trailer? There seems to be room. Is there a particular kind to fit in the pex? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
91CF7A17-B634-446F-AB0E-17D812E3B6EB.jpg  

😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Those valves come apart very easily. Slide the metal clip out sideways, and lift the T handle up and out of the valve body. There's a small o-ring on it that you can examine for damage. Mine were getting stickey, and didn't 'click' down like they used to. The O-rings just needed a little plumbers grease on them to get them working like new again. If they're buggered up, you can replace them easily.

JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #3

First few times, I just disassembled my valvles as described above, and they would stop leaking for a few trips. Then I used plumbers grease on the o-rings, and they have not leaked in 3+ years.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Those valves come apart very easily. Slide the metal clip out sideways, and lift the T handle up and out of the valve body. There's a small o-ring on it that you can examine for damage. Mine were getting stickey, and didn't 'click' down like they used to. The O-rings just needed a little plumbers grease on them to get them working like new again. If they're buggered up, you can replace them easily.
Thanks for the tip! The only problem I see is getting at the valves, let alone pulling clips off and pulling them apart. They are in a sunken overflow pan of some sort, under a maze of pex lines. Hard enough to reach just to open and shut. Thatís why I thought it might be easier just to leave them open and put new ones on the ends outside.
Attached Thumbnails
22B0EA78-FF94-460B-9D83-98F8ACF5845D.jpg  
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Those are buried in there. Mine were in one of those plastic pans, but not that low. The clips do come out easily, but you've got to be able to put them back in too.

Since plumbers grease is only gelled silicone, maybe, with the valve up, try to spray some 100% silicone on the stem, and try to get some down to the O-rings. It may help for a while. Otherwise you'll need a midget plumber with tiny fingers.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Those are buried in there. Mine were in one of those plastic pans, but not that low. The clips do come out easily, but you've got to be able to put them back in too.

Since plumbers grease is only gelled silicone, maybe, with the valve up, try to spray some 100% silicone on the stem, and try to get some down to the O-rings. It may help for a while. Otherwise you'll need a midget plumber with tiny fingers.
Thanks JFlight. A midget Iím not (6 foot 6) and no tiny fingers. But Iíll try silicone spray there first.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
Site Team

snip... "Iíll try silicone spray there first.[/QUOTE]

Let us know if that helps. There may come a day when I can't get down to fix ours!
Old 09-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #8

One of mine started doing that about a year after I bought my trailer. I just went to Home Depot and picked up a couple of "Shark Bite" brand 1/2" straight shut-off valves. They're designed to be used on 1/2" copper, PEX, or CPVC. You just push them right onto the lines and VWOLLAH! Now, I leave the ones under the bathroom sink open all the time, and just give the "Shark Bite" valves a 1/4 turn to open them up for draining the lines. I also installed the "Shark Bite" shut-offs under my kitchen and bathroom sinks AND on the water line to the toilet.

In addition, I put shut-offs on the fresh water tank overflow vents. On those, I inserted a 3/8" hose barb x 1/2" pipe thread adapter and a hose clamp on the overflow tube, then treaded on a 1/2" shut-off onto the adapter. I leave them open while filling the tanks until the water starts coming out of them. Then I shut them to prevent them from siphoning off 1/3 of the tank's water. I reopen them after my next shower to allow air to enter as I use up the water supply.

Sure makes maintenance a whole lot easier!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
Site Team

You could just purchase a couple of 1/2 inch PEX sharkbite valves and slip them on underneath.

I might cut a inch or so off to keep it from hanging to low.
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
One of mine started doing that about a year after I bought my trailer. I just went to Home Depot and picked up a couple of "Shark Bite" brand 1/2" straight shut-off valves. They're designed to be used on 1/2" copper, PEX, or CPVC. You just push them right onto the lines and VWOLLAH! Now, I leave the ones under the bathroom sink open all the time, and just give the "Shark Bite" valves a 1/4 turn to open them up for draining the lines. I also installed the "Shark Bite" shut-offs under my kitchen and bathroom sinks AND on the water line to the toilet.

In addition, I put shut-offs on the fresh water tank overflow vents. On those, I inserted a 3/8" hose barb x 1/2" pipe thread adapter and a hose clamp on the overflow tube, then treaded on a 1/2" shut-off onto the adapter. I leave them open while filling the tanks until the water starts coming out of them. Then I shut them to prevent them from siphoning off 1/3 of the tank's water. I reopen them after my next shower to allow air to enter as I use up the water supply.

Sure makes maintenance a whole lot easier!
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
You could just purchase a couple of 1/2 inch PEX sharkbite valves and slip them on underneath.

I might cut a inch or so off to keep it from hanging to low.
Thanks guys! I thought I had read about someone installing such shut offs on the outside! Sounds like the way to go, even if I can lube the valves inside. Never hurts to have a failsafe.