Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Low point drain valve question

Hello Everyone, does anyone know how the lowpoint drain valves on a 322fks open? They rotate left and right 180 degrees, but nothing comes out of them. I read on this site that some of the valves you have to pull up to open? These are white plastic and look like they are meant to turn left and right to open. I just do not want to break them. This is our first RV and this is all new to us. Thanks in advance for any help!
J&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Mine have to be pulled up to open as well. These are inside the trailer. The one on the fresh water tank drain turns left and right, however and is outside the trailer, under the tank.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #3

The valves I have are on the outside to the left of the entry door. I do not believe there are any valves inside, just the 2 on the end of the drain lines.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Site Team

There are both types. I find that if mounted horizontally they are twist, if going down they pull up slightly till you hear a snap.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

All of my inside the RV drains pull up. Mine are located under kitchen sink and under the sink in the bath. Outside drains turn 180 degrees to open.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #6

Open a tap inside... that will let air into the system and the water drain out the bottom..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #7

The one I have inside you pull up. The valve on the fresh water tank turns from the left to the right, when facing the valve. The 2 that come through the floor near the water heater also twist. I don't remember if they twist clockwise or counterclockwise to open and close. Opening a faucet or two inside the trailer (or the outside shower) allow the water to drain faster.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Hi Everyone, Thanks to all of you for the replies. I contacted Jayco and they said I needed to pull the valves up instead of left to right. I hope to be able to get to the trailer over the weekend since it is 2.5 hrs away from home and will give that a try. I really think if they do need to be pilled up they should be marked that way. Looking at them you would think you only need to turn them left to right? Thanks again and best wishes for a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving to all of this forums members.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paflyfisher View Post
All of my inside the RV drains pull up. Mine are located under kitchen sink and under the sink in the bath. Outside drains turn 180 degrees to open.
X2 on opening inside faucets. It allows "venting" so the water will flow. Our first trip out with our White Hawk, the sensors said the fresh water tank was empty, but when I opened the low point drain for the tank, water started draining, and it was s-l-o-w! The plumbing system drained easily with open faucets. BTW: Our valves had to be turned 180 degrees left to right. Thought they were quarter turn inline, but until I turned them fully to the right, no water drainage. Do need to install a drain valve for the water heater though. Seems like removing/reinserting that plug would be a bit of a pain, not to mention risking damage to the fitting.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #10

I have had mine on the bottom get stopped up with dirt or bugs or whatever. Had to stick a wire up one once to get it to flow. Mine are just left and right turns with a valve...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #11

Many comments appear to leave a point of confusion. Low point drains and fresh water tank drains are completely separate and are not related in any way. The Low point drains are strictly to drain the plumbing. As others have pointed out, you need to open a hot and cold water faucet to allow air to enter the system and facilitate draining. Draining the fresh water tank(s) are done with a separate valve(s).

In most cases, not all, the low point drains are the push/pull type valves and are usually located inside the trailer or in one of the storage compartments. The fresh water tank drain valve(s) are usually the turn type and located outside the trailer.

It's a shame the owner manuals for each unit are not more specific about these issues.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Many comments appear to leave a point of confusion. Low point drains and fresh water tank drains are completely separate and are not related in any way. The Low point drains are strictly to drain the plumbing. As others have pointed out, you need to open a hot and cold water faucet to allow air to enter the system and facilitate draining. Draining the fresh water tank(s) are done with a separate valve(s).

In most cases, not all, the low point drains are the push/pull type valves and are usually located inside the trailer or in one of the storage compartments. The fresh water tank drain valve(s) are usually the turn type and located outside the trailer.

It's a shame the owner manuals for each unit are not more specific about these issues.

Nevertheless, the drain for my fresh water tank has a label above it, "low point drain", as do the two that drain the plumbing. It may not actually be a low point drain, but that`s why I mentioned it.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #13

I'm guilty - never heard of a plumbing drain I guess - only the fresh water tank on the bottom of both my trailers.

That would be useful for me to have since I use the blow out method for winterizing in my POPUP. I could just drain the water out perhaps everywhere.

My 2005 and 2008 trailers may have something Im not aware of... Will take a look see...

Thanks for the info...

Roy Ken.
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #14

Lee, it so happens that my fresh water drains are also labeled "Low Point Drain". I would challenge that as poor labeling since it has nothing to do with the plumbing system low point. My guess would be that Jayco employees, which probably don't use these trailers, either don't know the difference or did not have access to "Fresh Water Drain" decals.

As I previously stated, it would help tremendously if Jayco would provide a layout sheet with each unit specific to that unit showing the valve locations, the function and the method of operation (push-pull and turn). It seems MANY users are left in a haze about these valves.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Lee, it so happens that my fresh water drains are also labeled "Low Point Drain". I would challenge that as poor labeling since it has nothing to do with the plumbing system low point. My guess would be that Jayco employees, which probably don't use these trailers, either don't know the difference or did not have access to "Fresh Water Drain" decals.

As I previously stated, it would help tremendously if Jayco would provide a layout sheet with each unit specific to that unit showing the valve locations, the function and the method of operation (push-pull and turn). It seems MANY users are left in a haze about these valves.
Yes the manuals are very general in nature, covering many floorplans and models in some cases. In my manual for instance, there is no mention of where the slide motor override is located. I had to investigate and hunt that down myself. And it was not that easy to find, under the couch and under the slide motor gear which was hard to see. Luckily found it one day when I was bored and the TT was here in my yard, and NOT in a stressful situation where the slide would not retract.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Lee, it so happens that my fresh water drains are also labeled "Low Point Drain". I would challenge that as poor labeling since it has nothing to do with the plumbing system low point.
To me the fresh water tank is part of the plumbing system. As much a part of the plumbing system as the cold water heater. My camper also has the low point drain label on the outside of the trailer above the fresh water tank drain. It is the low point to drain the fresh water tank. I have the pull type valve inside the trailer and twist type outside of the trailer, near the fresh water tank, and near the cold water heater. There are 2 outside twist valves near the cold water heater. One is on the cold line and the other is on the hot water line. I wonder if the pull type valves are on the inside of the trailer and the twist type on the outside of the trailer???

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
There are 2 outside twist valves near the cold water heater.
Q. What is a cold water heater?
A. A hot water heater that's not turned on.
A. A hot water heater in an alternate universe.
A. A refrigerator.
A. A heater that only heats cold water, since hot water doesn't need heating.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #18

Just wanted to post an update. Went out to the camper today and thanks to all for the info! It turns out the valves on the outside have to be pulled to be opened (as some of you suggested), not turned. I have to admit felt pretty dumb once I was able to open them. Why they use 2 different valves makes no sense to me? Just wanted to say thanks again and now at least I will not be worried about the valves freezing! Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.