Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #1

LP gas alarm and power

I am storing our new to us 2008 22FB on a friends land and he called me Sunday and said there was a alarm going off and he had forgot his copy of the key. I ran down there and it was the LP alarm going off but both of my tanks are empty and turned off and there was no smell. Also none of the light or stuff that works off the battery was working. reset the alarm and it was still red not green. Checked fuses and fuse at the battery and none were blown. Hit the button to check battery level and it was 2/3 full. I have a feeling they may have left a light on and drained the battery. Would that cause the alarm to go off and stay red? We are taking it for the weekend for a football game and hoping it will be fine off of shore power. I am taking my battery charger and going to charge it up or does is charge when hooked to power? We have only had it a month and we used it for the weekend three weeks ago and everything worked fine. Any other ideas of what to check if it isn't the battery and do some of ya'll more experienced guys think it will work of plugged in or am I making a mistake taking it and running the risk. My friend currently has the power off to his land so I have no way to check other than bringing to my house and was hoping to just pick it up after work tomorrow and head out of town. Thanks in advance for the help/
Old 09-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #2

The alarm will go off when the battery gets low. It will continue until the battery is dead.
You will need to disconnect the battery when the trailer is not going to used for a while unless you can keep shore power to the trailer. I am considering a marine battery switch- just need to figure out where to mount it.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Jim Manley
You should trickle charge the battery when in storage. If the battery drains to a too low a level it won't recover. I use one that desulphates as well, keeps the battery young. I bought...
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...-_-1206-_-CONF
Jim
Jim Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #4

Thanks, I figured that's what it was but makes me feel better that there probably isn't any other issue. I will have to figure out something to trickle charge it but in the meantime will unhook during storage. Thanks again for the info, our pop up prior to this didn't have a battery.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #5

We remove the battery during storage and hook it up at home to a BatteryMinder 12248 for the winter. I'll also be doing that with my 4 12V Club Car batteries to.
I charge them up for a few days, let them sit idle for a day, then check the charge. Letting them sit for at least 18hrs after charging, then taking a reading gives you the real condition. Be sure not to add water until after the charge, and the idle time.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #6

Yep battery