Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
Member
 
Lakehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 70
LP Gas Issues

Howdy Campers,

Just took the JayFlight 264BHW to the lake for its maiden voyage of the season and had a little issue with no propane. First, I check the tanks to make sure they are full (which they were), checked to see if there were any auto shutoff valves from the CO sensor or other valve somewhere. Nothing there to be of concern. So that leaves the LP regulator, after gently tapping on it, it releases the gas to the lines.

All in all, it turned out to be a faulty regulator, even though I tapped it and it came on, I thought it would be a good idea to change it out. After taking the old one off along with the pigtail hoses for the tanks, doped them up with propane grade pipe sealant and tightened them up. Hooked up, turned on the gas and checked for leaks. Everything is working great now.

I did do some research here and as always, find a wealth of helpful information, Thanks to all that contribute. Time to do my part.

Some may ask, why didn't I just take it in under warranty? It would cost more $$ to drag the TT 120 miles than just go ahead and replace a $50 part and be done with it. (Could have got it much cheaper online but need it immediately)

The original regulator that came with the TT was a cheap Chinese made piece of garbage. I replaced it with a Marshall MEGR-253. Note: it will take a larger screws and require drilling a new hole in the exist mounting bracket.
__________________

__________________
-----------------------------------------------
2015 JayFlight SLX 264BHW

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SmokerBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehound View Post
Howdy Campers,

Just took the JayFlight 264BHW to the lake for its maiden voyage of the season and had a little issue with no propane. First, I check the tanks to make sure they are full (which they were), checked to see if there were any auto shutoff valves from the CO sensor or other valve somewhere. Nothing there to be of concern. So that leaves the LP regulator, after gently tapping on it, it releases the gas to the lines.

All in all, it turned out to be a faulty regulator, even though I tapped it and it came on, I thought it would be a good idea to change it out. After taking the old one off along with the pigtail hoses for the tanks, doped them up with propane grade pipe sealant and tightened them up. Hooked up, turned on the gas and checked for leaks. Everything is working great now.

I did do some research here and as always, find a wealth of helpful information, Thanks to all that contribute. Time to do my part.

Some may ask, why didn't I just take it in under warranty? It would cost more $$ to drag the TT 120 miles than just go ahead and replace a $50 part and be done with it. (Could have got it much cheaper online but need it immediately)

The original regulator that came with the TT was a cheap Chinese made piece of garbage. I replaced it with a Marshall MEGR-253. Note: it will take a larger screws and require drilling a new hole in the exist mounting bracket.
If you still have the old, defective part, try calling Jayco customer service and explain what you had to do to fix your trailer. They just might send you a check for the parts you had to purchase. Worth a try, anyway. Money is money.
__________________

__________________
Bill
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Jay Flight 26BH
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
Member
 
Lakehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 70
Thanks. I tossed the old part but definitely worth a try.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
2015 JayFlight SLX 264BHW

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Another thing that can befuddle newbies:


There is a safety built into the tank valves. The design is that it will close if the high-pressure hose breaks. However, if the system hasn't been used in a while (a few weeks or more) and the lines have de-pressurized, opening the tank valve too fast will cause high-pressure gas to rush out and trip the safety.


Always remember to crack the valve and listen for the hiss as things pressurize s...l...o...w...l...y!
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Another thing that can befuddle newbies:


There is a safety built into the tank valves. The design is that it will close if the high-pressure hose breaks. However, if the system hasn't been used in a while (a few weeks or more) and the lines have de-pressurized, opening the tank valve too fast will cause high-pressure gas to rush out and trip the safety.


Always remember to crack the valve and listen for the hiss as things pressurize s...l...o...w...l...y!
I thought the safety valve was in the connector on the pig-tail. I think it was a guy at a propane shop that told me that.
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Member
 
Lakehound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Another thing that can befuddle newbies:


There is a safety built into the tank valves. The design is that it will close if the high-pressure hose breaks. However, if the system hasn't been used in a while (a few weeks or more) and the lines have de-pressurized, opening the tank valve too fast will cause high-pressure gas to rush out and trip the safety.


Always remember to crack the valve and listen for the hiss as things pressurize s...l...o...w...l...y!

Right on! I did forget to mention that I did turn the gas on slowly. Also, it had been siting since October. I hope this helps someone else down the road.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
2015 JayFlight SLX 264BHW

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I thought the safety valve was in the connector on the pig-tail. I think it was a guy at a propane shop that told me that.
Wherever the thing is... It is a safety item that can be tripped easily and nothing gets cooked until it is reset.
__________________

__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.