Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #1

LP line for BBQ

Hey guys,

OK I did a search and I didn't see anything that helped me. So HELP ME please!!

We did our first camping trip this weekend in our 184BH Baja. I knew that I needed to plumb a hose to hook up my BBQ with ouitside. On Saturday morning (you all are getting the long story!!!) my wife was cooking banana pancakes and my two boys and myself were outside eating them when I noticed a glob of black spray foam on the bottom of my trailer right under the vent for my fridge. Peak my curiosity, so I went to check it out. It's the foam to fill in where the gas line goes up to the fridge. BUT (there is always a but) where that line came from was a brass fitting that had two outlets to it. One was going up to the fridge and the other was plugged.

Now, being a Newbie, is there an accessory place where I can get a hose with a quick connect that will go right into that brass fitting for my outdoor grill?

If need be, I will take a pic when I get home. Just in case I am not making any sense.

Another thing, I told my dealership where I got my trailer that I want to do this and they quoted me about $250 to do this. Are you kidding, there is hardly any labor, just unscrew the plug and screw in a hose and mount the quick disconnect. I am going to save myself about $230 hopefully!!!
chewey46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

Stealers..huh dealers often over charge for simple little jobs!

Take a picture and go to a specialized BBQ store they should be able to help you out
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

Short answer is yes you can. That junction block is either 3/8 FPT or 1/4 FPT. You can shut off the gas at the tank and pull the plug to confirm. Then you will need to plumb in a quick connect valve and a 1/4 quick connect hose to complete the connection to your grill.

What kind of grill do you have? Camco makes a 10Ft quick connect propane hose that I just picked up for connecting my camp chef to the quick connect fitting on my trailer.

The parts alone are about $40-$75 depending on how much you need. The quick connect parts are about $30.00 of that then you have hose fittings. A propane dealer can sell you what you need as can most RV supply stores.

Pics and grill type will help us guide you in the right direction. One key thing is that you must hook the grill up after the regulator on the grill now or you will double regulate the gas resulting in poor heating abilities.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #4

Propane dealer.... BRILLIANT!! Seems the couple of RV parts stores I have talked to referred me to their service department.

I have a Weber Q 2200.

So finding out the size of the plug will tell me what connection I need, that's for the info!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Short answer is yes you can. That junction block is either 3/8 FPT or 1/4 FPT. You can shut off the gas at the tank and pull the plug to confirm. Then you will need to plumb in a quick connect valve and a 1/4 quick connect hose to complete the connection to your grill.

What kind of grill do you have? Camco makes a 10Ft quick connect propane hose that I just picked up for connecting my camp chef to the quick connect fitting on my trailer.

The parts alone are about $40-$75 depending on how much you need. The quick connect parts are about $30.00 of that then you have hose fittings. A propane dealer can sell you what you need as can most RV supply stores.

Pics and grill type will help us guide you in the right direction. One key thing is that you must hook the grill up after the regulator on the grill now or you will double regulate the gas resulting in poor heating abilities.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #5

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...+quick+connect

Read post#7

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

Agreed, the propane dealer can help. I had a propane dealer make us a 20' hose with quick disconnect so we could put the Q wherever we like. I also had a T made. I often have our Camp Chef stove and our RVQ simultaneously connected and set up.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Site Team

Just remember it is low pressure[already regulated] and will not work properly with some devices that require unregulated propane or have. Built in regulator w/o some mods.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #8

I removed the regulator from my Weber Q200 in order to run the BBQ off my TT's low pressure propane line. I had to get an adapter in order to hook the factory BBQ inlet valve up to the quick connect gas hose I purchased at a TT shop. I connected two 15' hoses and a 5' hose to my BBQ. I wanted that length so I could BBQ away from the TT under an easy up canaopy. I also modified a one burner stove to run off the TT low pressure line. The one burner was great while in Maine cooking lobsters and we use it also to boil large pots of water for pasta or corn on the cob. I could not find a propane shop that would make me the hose lengths I needed, they told me liability insurance policies prevent them for making custom lines, so I had to buy factory ones and couplers from hardware stores. Make sure to use the yellow propane rated teflon tape for any threaded connection.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #9

My trailer came with the factory quick connect. I have a Weber Q200. I purchased these to connect my weber to the qc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took the quick connect nipple off of the camco control valve and replace the regulator on the grill with the nipple. Make sure to us LP tape on your fittings to prevent leaks. Might have been more expensive to order the control valve than get the nipple from propane dealer but I read on another forum that it was a direct swap and I wanted to take the guess work out of it.

Hope this helps
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #10

I went to a shop that repairs does propane work, that also recertifies propane tanks, they made me 3 hoses, with the connections I wanted.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #11

Great options everyone!! Thank you!!!

I especially like the Amazon.com links..... Thank you, great company and really really really good people work there, I know I work with them!!!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #12

Guess I'm lucky, Camping World (candy) store 50 miles down the road. Great selection of parts and pieces to connect just about anything to a grill pipe/quick connect safely.
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #13

I have a Camping World down in Tacoma which is about 35-40 miles from my place. So I finally got out and snapped pics of the little junction box. Finally as in it finally stopped raining!!
Attached Thumbnails
LP1.jpg   LP2.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor View Post
My trailer came with the factory quick connect. I have a Weber Q200. I purchased these to connect my weber to the qc.

I took the quick connect nipple off of the camco control valve and replace the regulator on the grill with the nipple. Make sure to us LP tape on your fittings to prevent leaks. Might have been more expensive to order the control valve than get the nipple from propane dealer but I read on another forum that it was a direct swap and I wanted to take the guess work out of it.

Hope this helps
will that hose work with the jayco BBQ that comes with the trailers? i want a longer hose so im not always glued to the back of my trailer cooking
2006 Ford F150 5.4, (SOLD Oct 2014)
2014 Jayco Jayflight 26BH (SOLD Feb 2014)
carey965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey965 View Post
will that hose work with the jayco BBQ that comes with the trailers? i want a longer hose so im not always glued to the back of my trailer cooking
I do not have the Jayco BBQ so I can't give you an accurate answer. I would assume that it would but that would just be a guess. I'm sure someone here can provide a better answer.
jtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #16

If you have the RVQ grill with the 1/4" quick connect fitting and the short 30" supplied hose you can buy the Camco 10ft propane hose on Amazon to extend your range. This has a 1/4" male quick connect fitting as well as the female quick connect valve on the other end which is the same as supplied only longer.

Chewey from the picture it looks like 3/8 MPT will plug into that block. The quick connect valves are Female so you will need a nipple to add the valve there. You do not want the hose permanently attached to the trailer while towing. You will then need to purchase the Camco hose and a 1/4" MPT quick connect fitting to attach to your grill. You might need some fittings depending on what your grill has for pipe sizing. Removal of the Regulator is required for best performance.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote