Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
You DO have to remember to check the valve color indicators to check if a tank is empty.
This is what is not working on my valve.... it stays Green when the tanks are full or empty. Use (1) at a time.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #22

Usually in the mornings I can see a sweat line on the tanks showing where the propane levels is at...

I too only run one at a time... When one runs out of propane and switches over then I go fill the empty one...

I got my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer in early 2009 so I guess my two tanks on that trailer will need to be inspected and recertified this year... I think there is a ten year time span here for the propane tanks... I guess they are probably already over the date being a 2008 model... I have been sitting at home here for past couple of years after my battery bank finally failed on me...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #23

I've been using your method for years, never had a problem.
LarryB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #24

Mopeka. On my iPone with their app.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #25

I only use one at a time. Once I had both valves open and the second tank leaked empty and then I was in deep dodo with the DW.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #26

Mopeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHstuckinGA View Post
Mopeka. On my iPone with their app.
Same only with an Android.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #27

tanks,,,

My Airstream that I stupidly let my wife talk me into selling used to have LP tank quantity on the little status panel, pretty darn acurate too.

Now I use the thump method, and always use 1 tank at a time. The Airstream used to auto select, sigh. The Jayco does auto nothing.

Ya gotta luv it.
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #28

The picture you posted shows the tank on the left as being empty (assuming the valve is open). If you switch the dial to point to the other tank it should turn green (assuming it has propane in it. The switch will automatically transfer to the tank that has propane in it if one tank runs out but the dial will not move. You must turn it manually to the full tank for the gauge to turn green again. Then disconnect the empty tank and go fill it up.

If I need to check the level of a tank I will disconnect it and shake the tank. You can tell, roughly, what is left. Getting a cheap luggage scale is a good idea though and you can weigh the tank.

I also leave both tank valves open and always use the tank on the right. I check the auto switch every couple of days and if it has switched over (turned red) I know my right tank is empty and that I need to fill it. I will then put the full tank on the left side and continue to use the partially empty tank on the right side. This way I always know that I have at least one full tank.

I used to only open one valve until I had to get up in the middle of a very cold night and open the other valve. Don't want to do that again.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Old 04-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsleet View Post
check this out on amazon mopeka tank check dual. Other posts about these also. Easy setup with smart phone app.
This is what I used before I added the SeaLevel system with propane sender, it works well but seemed to eat batteries for me.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Guaranteed it will run out in the middle of the night and then the wife will be mad because she has no hot water and is freezing to death with no furnace.

Me, I leave both on all the time and check the switch-over indicator from time to time.
Keep doing that.....and you are going to be really pissed when both run out!
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #31
Joy

I use the Dometic LP Gas checker...very easy and I find it to be pretty accurate. Also using one tank at a time so they are never both empty.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #32

There is a gauge you can get on amazon. Unscrew the line from the tank and screw the gauge in. Takes about a minute.
camper Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayettemo View Post
Do you remove the tank and take it in to Tractor Supply? Or take the trailer and all?

You take the tanks only. Many places don't have the space to accomodate a trailer at their fill stations unless they fill motorhomes with built intanks.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper Rick View Post
There is a gauge you can get on amazon. Unscrew the line from the tank and screw the gauge in. Takes about a minute.
Mopeka tank check, two sensors on the bottom of each tank, with the app, you check it on your phone. I paid about $75 for the two sensors on Amazon. Or you can get the tank gauges that screw on for about $12 but Mopeka tank check so much easier and more accurate.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #35

I use Dometic LPGC10 LP Gas Checker. It is more expensive than I think it should be, but does seem to be accurate.
Ethosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #36

I use the following equipment on my 2 x 40 lb tanks in my fifth wheel. Work great! Use app for iphone or similar connecting through bluetooth. (Tank Check) The magnets are strong and have been trouble free for over a year so far.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0.../dp/B01C5RQJHS
Horizons28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #37

[QUOTE]I use the good old fashioned method of pouring a little boiling water over the side of the tank. Pour it, and immediately run your finger down the side of the of the tank. Warm where there's no propane, and cool where there is.[QUOTE]

I used this technique this morning, but instead of my finger I used an infrared temperature gun. The liquid interface in the tank was immediately obvious. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also marked each of the two tanks with a Wet Erase marker so I can monitor the LP usage.
cwilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #38

This is our first year with twin 30# tanks. Fill em both, open one side, and when it runs out, flip the lever over to the other. Keep track of how many days it took for the one tank to run out, and continue to keep track so you can figure out the avg. amount of time.

One 30# tank lasted an avg. of about 15 days running straight, so we knew that it would be empty around then. If it was cold, we would flip the lever during the day when we knew it was getting close to running out. Within the next several days, we would remove the empty tank and fill it, and repeat the process.

Pros: no cost, and usually no worries. Our indicator was when the refrigerator light changed from green to red when the propane ran out.

Cons: once in awhile we would get the midnight empty tank indicator, and if it was cold, I would brave the cold and flip the lever.
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #39

We purchased 2 gauges from Camping world when they were on sale. They screw into the tank before you attach the hose(s) Camco also sells these type of gauges as well.

How do you know if you are low in LP gas.?
I have attached a picture of what my setup looks like.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Best Regards
Eric[/QUOTE]
Old 04-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjay View Post
Cons: once in awhile we would get the midnight empty tank indicator, and if it was cold, I would brave the cold and flip the lever.

You don't have an automatic propane changeover valve on your trailer? That is the biggest advantage to leaving BOTH tanks turned on because when one runs empty it will automatically switch over to the full tank. Then you can manually switch the lever to the full tank and the indicator will go from red to green...or clear in some cases. I never get out of a warm bed to switch my propane tanks.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote