Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

LP tanks: how much LP remaining ?

This a complete newbie type question: I have a 2016 Jayco White Hawk (RBOK)

How do you know if you are low in LP gas.?
I have attached a picture of what my setup looks like.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Best Regards
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-0787.jpg  
2016whitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

I use a Truma gauge that you press against the tank in various places. Green is propane, red is none. It uses a type of ultra sound. So far, very accurate and quick.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #3

I use the good old fashioned method of pouring a little boiling water over the side of the tank. Pour it, and immediately run your finger down the side of the of the tank. Warm where there's no propane, and cool where there is.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

We use very little propane so I dont worry about it. Since you have dual tanks always use the same tank until its empty and switch to the other tank, refill the empty tank at a Tractor Supply when you can, dont do those exchanges at the box stores they charge way to much
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
We use very little propane so I dont worry about it. Since you have dual tanks always use the same tank until its empty and switch to the other tank, refill the empty tank at a Tractor Supply when you can, dont do those exchanges at the box stores they charge way to much
x2- only turn on one tank at a time. When it runs out switch over and refill the empty one. That way you always have a full tank when needed.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
x2- only turn on one tank at a time. When it runs out switch over and refill the empty one. That way you always have a full tank when needed.

Guaranteed it will run out in the middle of the night and then the wife will be mad because she has no hot water and is freezing to death with no furnace.

Me, I leave both on all the time and check the switch-over indicator from time to time.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Guaranteed it will run out in the middle of the night and then the wife will be mad because she has no hot water and is freezing to death with no furnace.

Me, I leave both on all the time and check the switch-over indicator from time to time.
Those indicators are useless. Two days ago at 5:30AM-ish I heard the furnace kick on and shutting off about a minute later... got up, went out, opened the front panel, turned off the tank valve, the green bar was still showing, flipped the lever to the other tank, green bar was still showing.... let there be heat!!!

So much for the green bar. Need to move my LP tank level sensor to the top of my priority list. Wife slept through the entire switch over.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #8

Do you remove the tank and take it in to Tractor Supply? Or take the trailer and all?
Lafayettemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

If all the other methods don't help try weighing the tanks.

There is an empty and full weight stamped into the tanks. Put them one at a time and you can get a accurate amount of LP in pounds.

TW or tare weight is the empty weight. If a 20 pound tank than full is Tare (17 or so average) plus 20 pounds.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Those indicators are useless. Two days ago at 5:30AM-ish I heard the furnace kick on and shutting off about a minute later... got up, went out, opened the front panel, turned off the tank valve, the green bar was still showing, flipped the lever to the other tank, green bar was still showing.... let there be heat!!!

So much for the green bar. Need to move my LP tank level sensor to the top of my priority list. Wife slept through the entire switch over.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Don
Was your problem with the OEM regulator?

Our original regulator did the same thing once and I don't want a replay. I've got a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 ordered to replace my original one.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayettemo View Post
Do you remove the tank and take it in to Tractor Supply? Or take the trailer and all?
Definitely remove the tank and take it in! Just takes a few minutes. We have a gas station less than two miles away that fills propane. Same if camping — many RV parks have propane or find a nearby station.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #12

check this out on amazon mopeka tank check dual. Other posts about these also. Easy setup with smart phone app.
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I use a Truma gauge that you press against the tank in various places. Green is propane, red is none. It uses a type of ultra sound. So far, very accurate and quick.
I’ve got one of these too. Works well.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #14

When we were in Illinois one place charged by the tank. The price was set at "X dollars." If your tank was half full you still paid "X dollars" if your tank was empty still the same price. I think in OK they charged by the weight of the tank. Weighed the tank, filled it weighed it again and you paid for the fuel that way. Here in OR and in CA we pay for propane by the gallon like you do gas and diesel. I am not sure about WA and other states.

The most tank exchanges do not fill the tanks up all the way. The one tank I checked was 1 1/2 gallons short of being full. I traded the tanks at one place and just for giggles I went and topped it off at a station. The only reason I used the exchange was the old tank was out of date to fill. (12 years I think)

My point is watch the way your tanks are priced to refill them. If I drive around our little town, I can find a .30 to .40 cents difference on the price of a gallon of propane.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Don
Was your problem with the OEM regulator?

Our original regulator did the same thing once and I don't want a replay. I've got a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 ordered to replace my original one.

Yes, it is the OEM valve.

I started working on an electronic LP tank scale for the TT last summer that will display on the Tv/wall display with the other sensors. It will have alerts (cell phone) to let us know how much is left and about how long we have left on each tank. When it hits a few pounds left the wall display will start flashing.

Due to scheduling issues (DW's priorities) I did not finish it. Below is the scale (for one of the tanks). The disk on the left has the 4 sensors. The wood strips are temporary spacers, the disk on the right sits on top of the disk with the sensors. Preliminary tests (software) are working GREAT! I need to work in a temperature algorithm into the program to compensate for outside temperature/weight differences.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC -LP Tank Weight Scale.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #16

Wow! Very impressive! I’m envious — I just thump on mine
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #17

On our Whitehawk (2017) I always leave both tanks open. I learned the hard way when I followed the advice to only keep one tank open and in 28 degree whether I had to go and open the second tank. A number of the suggestions above will work for you. What I have learned to do is after 2 or 3 days camping I use the hot water method and if it isn't conclusive I disconnect and lift up the tank. We've been out 3 weeks and have never run out of propane in both tanks using this method. I did purchase one of the gauges that you screw into the tank (about $7.00) and the first time I used it is showed propane 1/2 full when the tank was empty.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:06 AM   #18

I use Mopeka tank check which are great but you need spacers below the tank. My 2016 Jayco 5th wheel had open space below the tank but they were very hard to remove for filling. Mopeka sends you spacers that are very cheap. I made my own. Prior to that I just used a tank scale that you can buy at any rv store. The problem with the large tanks they are heavy when full.
To answer your question, In AZ if you have a removable tank they have to put the tank on the ground before filling. At Tractor supply & Loves you pay by the gal.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:54 AM   #19

This is what I do also. Leave one open and one closed.
Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #20

I've been RV'ing for almost 20 years. I've always had two tanks, and an automatic switchover valve. I leave both tanks open. Always when one tank is empty, the control has switched to the other tank. This prevents getting up in the middle of the night to turn a valve on. You DO have to remember to check the valve color indicators to check if a tank is empty. As it works out, if both tanks are empty you don't have any propane.

That is how an automatic switch over valve is supposed to work and can work; if mine quits working, I'll replace it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote