Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

LT instead of ST tires

Hello all. Probably a million threads on this topic, but I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced their ST205/75R15 trailer tires with a similar sized and load rating LT tire. If so, what size tire did you use and how has it affected handling, if at all? Read so many horror stories regarding ST tires so I am thinking of replacing them with LT before I end up with a horror story of my own. I have had 2 tire failures myself since I started RVing 15 years ago. Do not want a third.
Peter Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 PM   #2

If you go with a quality tire like:

1. Maxxis
2. Goodyear Endurance
3. Carlisle Radial HD

You won't have a horror story to tell.

ST tires are designed for the extra side wall forces that are exhibited on trailer tires. I've seen LTs on trailers, but 90% seem to be ST. Just buy a good quality ST and don't run them longer than 7 years past the DOT date stamped on the tire.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #3

My unit came OEM with 16" LT AT light truck tires.
Baja edition of a SLX

Wearing well.....or at least looks like it.

Survived a 22 mile rough and rocky dirt road not long ago.
New tires/new trailer though.

A rear bent axle on the drivers side did eat one up....new spare mounted.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
Site Team

My Baja edition also came with LT's from the factory.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:03 AM   #5

The Baja's are meant for off road trailering, right? If that is the case, and the manufacturer, Jayco in this case, puts LT's on them from the factory, does that not give lie to all manufacturers position that ST tires are best for a trailer, since they have better, tougher sidewalls, etc, etc.?

If they are best, why put LT's on a trailer designed for going off road a bit? If LT's are best for off road trailers, in this case Baja's, why not put then on any regular trailer where there is a LT size that fits that trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
My unit came OEM with 16" LT AT light truck tires.
Baja edition of a SLX

Wearing well.....or at least looks like it.

Survived a 22 mile rough and rocky dirt road not long ago.
New tires/new trailer though.

A rear bent axle on the drivers side did eat one up....new spare mounted.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:29 AM   #6
Site Team

They used to put them on rv's until they found the cheapest tire was more profit.

If you compare the load carrying capacity at least when I was looking at them, the LT tires were rated for a different lcc if used on a rv by a small amount.

I had a SOB rig that came with LT tires, and I have put them on rigs with no problems.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
The Baja's are meant for off road trailering, right? If that is the case, and the manufacturer, Jayco in this case, puts LT's on them from the factory, does that not give lie to all manufacturers position that ST tires are best for a trailer, since they have better, tougher sidewalls, etc, etc.?

If they are best, why put LT's on a trailer designed for going off road a bit? If LT's are best for off road trailers, in this case Baja's, why not put then on any regular trailer where there is a LT size that fits that trailer?
I don't recall saying that LT tires are the best.....nor what I would recommend that people only buy LT tires for their rigs.

The "offroad" part of a Baja unit is marketing.
The only "offroad" part of those units are the LT "E" rated 10 ply tires and a flipped axle for more ground clearance.

There are no suspension or frame enhancements, nor is there a more "rough road" friendly interior build construction quality, that would lend one to believe...."it can take a beating and keep on going"

I choose the Baja for the fresh water tankage size and 2 30lb propane tanks.
Which are not usually standard OEM for a 24' trailer.

While were at it.....and I don't know offhand, if a LT "E" rated, 10 ply tire, is more rugged in it's construction, than a ST tire, in a common "D" rated OEM tire.

I believe that most folks run a LT "E" rated tires on their 3/4-1 ton tow vehicles for their weight carrying capacity.
That's good enough for me, for my <6000 lb 24' trailer.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #8

After I lost 2 ST tires (abt 6k miles on them) in about 75 miles I replaced with G’year G614’s LT. We’ve towed a touch over 20k miles with them and they’ve been trouble free. I seem to recall a recent post where a G614 owner had over 30k on a set.

The G’year Endurance was introduced just before or after I bought but if replacing tires today I’d give them a strong look. They get good reviews.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #9

IMO, a tire's speed and load ratings are much more important than the ST or LT classification. I'd suggest getting the highest possible speed and load rating, from your favorite manufacturer, in the tire size you need.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
IMO, a tire's speed and load ratings are much more important than the ST or LT classification. I'd suggest getting the highest possible speed and load rating, from your favorite manufacturer, in the tire size you need.
I agree, however when I needed new tires Maxxis was the only ST not made in China IIRC. The Endurance was either too new or not yet available (don’t recall which). So for me it was either Maxxis or the 614’s. The 614 was immediately available, the Maxxis would have taken longer to get my hands on.
The 614 also gave me all the load I needed.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

They used to put them on rv's until they found the cheapest tire was more profit.

I heard that norty...not only tires, but many things, inside and outside... and not solely just Jayco.

Cheap mattress, cheap fasteners, cheap shower pans/surround enclosures, cheap rear bumpers, cheap axles, cheap springs, cheap jackknife sofas......et al.
I am not blowing smoke on this either.....everyone of the above has failed me from being........cheap.

Yet we as the consumer, keep on breaking out the check books...from one unit to another, in search of some quality, that should have been there from the get go.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I agree, however when I needed new tires Maxxis was the only ST not made in China IIRC. The Endurance was either too new or not yet available (don’t recall which). So for me it was either Maxxis or the 614’s. The 614 was immediately available, the Maxxis would have taken longer to get my hands on.
The 614 also gave me all the load I needed.
Sorry, I was replying to the OP's opening post---wasn't questioning your choice in tires. Should have quoted the OP--my bad.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote