Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #1

lube for ball, coupler...

What do you guys use to lube the hitch ball and trailer coupler?

I was using the same grease I used to lube wheel bearings but was worried about the coupler collecting dirt

Also, is there a degreaser I could use on the coupler to clean it out some?

What lube do you use on the stabilizer threaded rods, again where dirt collection is an issue
Old 06-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

I used a little smear of grease or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the ball and white lithium spray on the coupling mechanism. I would periodically clean it all using brake or intake (carb) spray cleaner. Someone posted a while ago that "in the old days" using a sheet or two of waxed paper over the ball for lube was common. I've tried it an didn't see any problems but I prefer a "real" lubricant.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I used a little smear of grease or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the ball and white lithium spray on the coupling mechanism. I would periodically clean it all using brake or intake (carb) spray cleaner. Someone posted a while ago that "in the old days" using a sheet or two of waxed paper over the ball for lube was common. I've tried it an didn't see any problems but I prefer a "real" lubricant.
I see little bits of compressed wax paper collecting over time..would prefer spray on lubricant for sure
Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
What do you guys use to lube the hitch ball and trailer coupler?
The normal wheel bearing grease is more that adequate for the task.

I was using the same grease I used to lube wheel bearings but was worried about the coupler collecting dirt
Use it sparingly. Just a very thin film.

Also, is there a degreaser I could use on the coupler to clean it out some? Heat and vibration will do that quite well, thank you.

What lube do you use on the stabilizer threaded rods, again where dirt collection is an issue
Because I weld, brake cleaner is banned from my shop! (Google phosgene gas). A rag with a little mineral spirits or paint thinner will remove oil and grease quite effectively.

So grease the stabilizers freely, the gear-like joints as well as the threaded rod. When the grease becomes dried out, clean the parts with solvent & rag. Then re-grease.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

Clean it with brake clean. Never have put anything on the ball though.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

I lube with bearing grease about every 1500 miles. To clean, I just grab a shop rag, and wipe down the inside the coupler a few times and the ball. Then apply new grease only to the ball. I probably have only cleaned the coupler twice in 4 seasons with this unit. The coupler is not like wheel bearings, so a little dirt and grim is not going to shorten its life.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

I have an old can of white lithium grease that I lube the ball, the pivot points of the weight dist. arms, and the two little balls the anti-sway bar attaches to.
I wipe everything clean when I'm unhook the TT, except for the coupler. I've never wiped that out.

If the hitch parts have been laying around for a while since last used, I'll give them a quick wipedown to remove any dust before greasing her up again.

The nice thing about the lithium grease is that it's not as sticky as wheel bearing grease, but still does OK as a wipe-on lube.

I tried lubing the stabilizer screws with WD-40, but then the stabilizers wouldn't stay up. I'd crank them up to where they should be, and the weight of the TT frame caused them to spin back down on their own. I now just make sure the screws are clean. I'll oil the the stabilizer pivot points sometimes.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Before hitching up at home, I give the ball a quick wipe, and a small coat of the grease the dealer gave us with the Equalizer hitch. Enough in the tube to last many years. I think someone makes special hitch ball lube, (Reese maybe?) but I don't know what's special about it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #9

I use the Reese "special" hitch ball lube and it quiets down my Equalizer Hitch. I suppose most lubes would also.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote