Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Maiden voyage

We are about to take our maiden voyage in our 23mbh. The only question I have so far is how to approach the dumping. I know that I need to drain the black first and then the grey to clean out the hose but I have seen some advice on here about using ice to help break up the clumps. I assume you put the ice in and then drive around some before you dump?

Also I have read about putting a little clean water in you black tank and then drop the deodorizer in. I do not have a window in my bathroom so no way to get water into the toilet. There is a water line at the dump station but it is non potable so I can not hook it to the fresh water in. I do have a clear elbow joint that I can hook a line into that will help flush. Will that put water in the tank or should I just use a couple of one gal containers and put the water in that way.

Any other advice that you can give ?
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #2

Put the ice in after you dump, so it bounces around on your ride home. The little bit of water doesn't affect anything.

You always need to add water when using deodorizer. We usually would do that when we got home. Keeps any smells away.

Enjoy your trip!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #3

Always start with at least 5 gal of water in the bottom of the tank. I usually put it in when we get home using a 5 gal pail. I also fill up the black tank right full before I dump using 5 pail or water containers. This helps you get a good flush and mixes everything up good on the way from your site to the dump. Lots of water is the key to preventing tp mountains.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #4

If you don't have a factory installed black flush port ( garden hose adaptor that sprays the inside of the black tank ) then one of the tank drain adapters with a hose port is a good choice

Drain black tank first, followed by grey. This will flush black waste out of the drain hose.

Before you drain your fresh water tank, or disconnect from city, and after you have drained and flushed out the best you can add a gallon or 2 of fresh water back to the toilet, by holding the flush handle open for a minute to two.

Then throw in the chemicals to help keep odor down.

If you do put Ice in the tank, it will melt and become the water mentioned above.

My .02

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #5

To put fresh water in the black tank I just fill the toilet to the top a couple of times. That will put a little over two gallons in.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

The more water in your black tank before you dump it, the better. Our Eagle has a saniflush that lets me hook a hose into it and flushes the black tank after I've dumped both tanks. I found out that if I leave it on for several minutes, stuff flushes out that I didn't realize was still in there. I close the valve and run the water briefly to get a couple gallons back in the tank the easy way. If you get a hydroflush fitting you can not only see what's coming out of your tanks but you can hook a hose to that and further flush stuff. I keep a couple gallon milk cartons of water in the toilet room to dump in after I've emptied the tank because I don't always use the saniflush . They come in handy on the road to have water to flush with when we need to use the toilet.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote