Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage

Had the maiden voyage for our new TT! LOVED it......except for the mattress. Everything else was fantastic, along with the weather! Looking forward to the next getaway!
Attached Thumbnails
20170512_165053.jpg  
Gifted to daughter: 1996 Jayco Eagle Pop-up loaded with memories!
Puckfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #2

So awesome. Yes....the mattress pretty much sucks. Our solution (and many others) was to buy a 2 or 4" memory foam topper. That helps a ton for us. Ideally, I'd just buy a real queen mattress (our TT has a full size queen) that is comfy and replace it. That's probably what will happen eventually. But, for $100, the memory foam is a heck of an upgrade.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #3

Thank you!

That is the direction I've already been going in.... :-) Searching Amazon now for cooling foam toppers.
Boy, what an upgrade from popup life!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #4

We are having the same issue! My kiddos have been loving our 2017 264BHW! We slept in it 3/4 of the nights we have had it at our house, we just picked it up last week!

We have the Seeley mattress in it, and it isn't as bad as I anticipated, but still isn't ideal. I am trying to decide if I should trade it out for the super comfy pillow top full size queen mattress that we have downstairs right now, or try a foam topper. We have enough room for the queen but it will take away the "walk around" part and it will make it higher than the night stands.

On the other hand, I'm not loving the idea of spending $$ on a good foam topper and then have it not make a difference. The cheap egg carton type are $30-$40 and a good 2-3 inch one is around $100. Decisions, decisions...

Congratulations on your new camper, let me know what you decide to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MichiganRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRVMom View Post
We are having the same issue! My kiddos have been loving our 2017 264BHW! We slept in it 3/4 of the nights we have had it at our house, we just picked it up last week!

We have the Seeley mattress in it, and it isn't as bad as I anticipated, but still isn't ideal. I am trying to decide if I should trade it out for the super comfy pillow top full size queen mattress that we have downstairs right now, or try a foam topper. We have enough room for the queen but it will take away the "walk around" part and it will make it higher than the night stands.

On the other hand, I'm not loving the idea of spending $$ on a good foam topper and then have it not make a difference. The cheap egg carton type are $30-$40 and a good 2-3 inch one is around $100. Decisions, decisions...

Congratulations on your new camper, let me know what you decide to do!

Spend the $100 ish. There is a huge difference. The egg crate ones won't do much. We used foam toppers on our last two TTs but ended up buying a whole new mattress for the MH since we changed from a short queen to a full size.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #6

Memory foam topper 4" makes a world of difference. If you can't find one let know I'll post the link. (Don't have the info with me at this time) 👍

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #7

Do you think it's worth paying for a good 4 inch memory foam pad or should I just switch to our residential Queen? I don't love losing the walk around but it would be nice to have a little more room (we have a King in our bedroom).

MichiganRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRVMom View Post
Do you think it's worth paying for a good 4 inch memory foam pad or should I just switch to our residential Queen? I don't love losing the walk around but it would be nice to have a little more room (we have a King in our bedroom).

We got the 4" memory foam topper. Works great. VERY comfortable.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #9

I think I'm definitely going to try the 4" topper before a new mattress. We shall see if that is the right move. I would say any move would be positive!
So happy and impressed with everything else, though!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #10

Congrats the 1st trip is always exiting!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 AM   #11

Yep, we have a topper and it work for us, congrats on your TT.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:17 AM   #12

CONGRATULATIONS so fun. We had our first outing a couple of weeks ago. And we had the same issues with the mattress. I found a thread on here about mattresses and one thing they said was look at the Brentwood mattresses on Amazon. We tried the topper route first and paid 125 at BJ's for cooling 2" topper but the wife still was not happy so I went ahead and bought the 7" rv queen Brentwood 7" Gel Infused HD Memory Foam Mattress - 100% Made in USA - CertiPur Foam - 25-Year Warranty, Triple Layer, All-Natural Wool Sleep Surface and Bamboo Cover, RV Short Queen Size 60 x 75 x 7 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00II5MRCI..._6dTgzbNRE03JZ. The mattress has made an incredible difference. They go all the way to 11 inch. So you would need to decide how thick you want. But look up the mattress thread on here. There was a lot of great suggestions. Good luck with your new tt and have many exciting experiences.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
njgsregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:12 AM   #13

Congratulations on your new TT and on completing its maiden voyage. Glad all went well!

People have been complaining about camper mattresses since they were a bear skin on the cave floor. (I remember!) What we have to remember is that (for most of us) our mattress at home sets on a 12" - 16" thick box spring. The mattress in our camper sets on a piece of 1/2" thick plywood. It's never going to be as comfortable as our bed at home!

When I bought my trailer (3 years ago) it came with the notorious Denver Mattress - non pillow-top. At the suggestion of many members, I purchased a 3" memory foam topper for it. First trip out was an 8 day turkey hunting trip. Buy the end of the trip, I Understood why it's called "Memory Foam"! The m.f. (that's memory foam) topper had developed a semi-permanent dip where I slept. Every time I'd try to roll over, I'd roll back into the "dip". At the recommendation of one of the members here (sorry, I don't remember who), I took the topper off the mattress and put it underneath the mattress . . . like a box spring. I also added a 1" "egg carton" foam rubber topper on top of the mattress. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I got the firm but forgiving support of the memory foam underneath, and the cushy-soft comfort of a pillow top. It was much more comfortable than the $1,000 Beauty Rest combo I had at home.

If you're unhappy with the comfort/support you get from your camper's mattress, I'd highly recommend you give the is try for a few nights.

One other thing: keep in mind that adding a topper (either on top or underneath the mattress) will raise the bed height by the thickness of the topper. If you happen to have short legs (like I do), it may make getting into bed a bit of a challenge. You just have to get use to "climbing" into bed, instead of "sitting down" on the bed. It's well worth the additional effort!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #14

Thank you!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Congrats the 1st trip is always exiting!
Go Wings!
Baker1131 is offline   Reply With Quote