Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Maiden Voyage...perfect until the end

We took our maiden voyage with the 23MBH this weekend. We went to the actual RV park that the dealer owns and is right next to it. I guess they give everyone 2 nights free when you buy the new trailer. They were all very nice there and it was a real nice park. It had full hookups and they kept it very well manicured. Now for the trip.

Before taking off, on my pre-trip inspection at the house, I was checking the trailer tire pressure. I got to one and it was way low. I saw a nail sticking in it when looking around. So I tried to use my Anderson levelers to get it up high enough to change, but couldn't make it. I borrowed a friends jack, took it off, and took it to the tire shop to be patched. Once fixed we were on our way. Just glad I found it before leaving. This experience also helped me decide to buy a small hydraulic jack and x-bar to keep with me. I just picked them up at Wally World while we were there.

Once we got to the site we started off pretty well. We leveled from side to side with the Anderson's very easily. We then choked the other side also. This is were I made my first mistake. Because the site was level from back to front already, I went ahead and started putting my stabilizer jacks down, instead of unhooking the trailer from the truck. Well when I tried to unhook from the truck ball I had some problems getting the lever to release. I was finally able to use a pry bar to loosen it, but only after pulling up the stabilizer jacks up in the front. Next time, I will unhook after leveling from side to side and choking.

We had a great nights stay and everything inside seemed to be working as advertised. I did notice a cracked piece of wood on the frame of the medicine cabinet, but no big deal. We tried out the shower and I was a little worried because it looked like they needed to caulk around the shower faucet and bottom.Not a big deal, I can do that myself. I am a little worried about the support under the shower. I felt like it was having a little movement. I am a big guy, 6'2 - 290, so I think I will add some support under it. I looked and it does have some support, but probably could use some extra.

Now the bad part. While preparing to leave we started emptying our tanks and everything was going well. I love the black tank clean out. As I am screwing in the sewer hose, I see a drip coming from under the trailer, not too far from he bathroom area. I crawl under and can see where the drip is coming from, a small hole in the black underbelly. I can also see a slight bulge in that area of the underbelly. I push on the bulge and sure enough water starts coming out even faster and around some foam also. At that point I assume my underbelly has a lot of water in it. The water leaking definitely didn't look like black water, which was nice. But could have been gray water. We were hooked up to water, so no water in fresh tank. My guess is there is a leak in the gray tank or some of the plumbing in the underbelly.

The good thing is that we just left the trailer there and they are just going to pick it up in the morning and take it across the street to dealer to be fixed. I hope the whole underbelly is not soaked. Surely they will dry it out and clean everything up. I'll call the owner in the morning to make sure he knows whats going on.
Has anyone else had this kind of problem? I am a newbie, but good thing I noticed the drip.
podunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

You should always unhook from the tow vehicle prior to deploying the stabilizer Jacks. When you raise the front of the trailer to clear the ball on the hitch, you are lowering the rear of the trailer and crushing the rear Jacks.

Also, if you find it difficult to lift the tongue latch, try moving the TV forward just a hair. It will usually take the pressure off the latch.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip on pulling the truck forward. I did notice that when the ball came out the truck moved backwards a little.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #4

We just went through 2 water leaks on our new 265RLSW. First one was like yours - walking around the camp site early one morning with my coffee and noticed water dripping from under the trailer. Slid under and found the drip, cut a small slit in the black fabric and water came running out. Seemed to have a few soap bubbles so assumed it was grey water. Took it in for service and had it fixed. Tech said a screw was put in through a water line. They replaced quite a bit of plumbing under the floor per the repair notes. Not uncommon he said. On next trip out we had another leak. Took it back in again and they found a leaky elbow joint on the water heater. We've made one trip since (this past week) for 5 nights and so far no leak. It's in my driveway now with water connected. I plan to leave it that way for a while longer to make sure.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #5

Regarding the stabilizer jacks and unhitching - I did the same thing on one of our first trips out. We've made about 5 trips so still very new to this and fortunately caught myself before I raised the front more than an inch or so but, it could have been a real mess. I've since made sure I stick to a standard routine - level side to side with tire blocks, chock both wheels (it sucks climbing under the slide out to chock the wheels), unhook the TV, pull it forward out of the way, level front to back with tongue jack, lower corner stabilizer jacks. It really sounds idiot proof and simple when you type it out but when it's late, you're tired and the bugs are out it can be easy to get out of sync or forget. Our last night out I got in a hurry and didn't do a good job of leveling side to side. Not far off but enough to be irritating for one night. Going back and fixing it once your are all set is no fun.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply suzhou. I really didn't check the back stabilizers after the hitch incident, I hope I didn't damage them. How much water damage was done with the leaks? I wish they would just check all the plumbing underneath when they get in there since they have too fix this leak. I know the Dealer can't help this leak, it probably came from Jayco like this and with it all covered up underneath you wouldn't know until you used it for a while. How long did it take to fix it?
Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunker View Post
Thanks for the tip on pulling the truck forward. I did notice that when the ball came out the truck moved backwards a little.
Yesterday morning I found the ball was far forward and the TV needed to come back that quarter inch or so. I put my index finger in front/back of the ball to see if the coupler will lift off cleanly.

Probably should use a stick, but a fingertip at my age, no big deal!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote