Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #21

Fair enough Grumpy, I understand your logic there. I guess it depends on the dealer and the buyer and their expectations. I bought mine from a very large dealer (Keystone Mega RV) and I know they sell several hundred trailers a month. I wouldn't expect them to keep contact with several hundred customers several times per month.

If I bought from a smaller dealer, perhaps I would have those expectations. I'm not sure that the dealer is $1100 responsible for that sort of oversight, but I guess I haven't really thought that deeply about the issue.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #22

4 of 5 of the unavailable upgrades could be added by the dealer. If you can live w/out the double panes, consider negotiating with your dealer to add your options at a deal for you. We did this with our 5er and got the MorRyde pin and slide toppers added at "no cost". A word about toppers, be sure to specify color and style.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltime View Post
Wow ! That would really suck. Forgive me if I missed it, but did anyone give you a reason it's taking that long ? I ordered a 2017 Jayflight 29rks on June 10th and was told 8-10 weeks. I haven't checked with anyone yet for an update, but it's 10 weeks today so I'll maybe shoot my salesman an email tomorrow to see if he can get a delivery date. Not holding my breath for good news after reading this. If I get an answer like you did I'll cancel immediately and start shopping again because I sure don't want a winter delivery. My non refundable down payment was $3500.00 tho

I hope they can figure something out for you.
You may not be in the same boat as I am as the Jayflights are built in a different factory than the Eagles. As for the reasons, my salesman told me that they were full of apologies but by then, I had so much steam coming out of my ears, I really didn't understand the rest of it in regards to why. I think I remember a couple of things like delays and redesign, and maybe something like new factory? I just want to try and find an acceptable solution for both sides without us having to wait another 10 weeks or more.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I've never ordered an RV from the factory. I just find something on the lot and make a deal. However, in the initial paperwork is there not some kind of delivery performance criteria spelled out? I mean what if they decided to delay delivery by 3 or 4 years. There has to be some kind of deadline. I wouldn't think folks would just sign an open ended contract.
Well, so far the only thing that has been signed is a purchase agreement and we have given them a 2000.00 deposit on the order. So if I cancelled, the 2 grand may have to be forfeited. But with these circumstances, and no guarantees that Jayco could yet extend the delivery date, I would hope that the dealership would just refund the money without us having to hire an attorney. But we aren't there yet, so I am trying to stay optimistic that we can come up with a solution.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
I think (for what it's worth) that the dealer should step up and offer you a loaner.

Also, have you talked to Jayco directly? Sometimes communications between the dealer and the factory can become, well, somewhat garbled!
Depending on what they offered as a loaner, that might be acceptable. However, I doubt they would loan us anything comparable to our Eagle, it would have to meet the DW's approval, and then there are a few other things like whether my WDH can handle it, etc. But I have that on the list as a possible solution.

In regards to contacting Jayco, I may do that but I am trying not to step on my salesman's toes just yet and possibly muddle the waters. I have already made a few suggestions to him to discuss with both his management and Jayco that would be an acceptable compromise, so I want to give them a day or so to see what shakes out.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
Call Jayco direct, ask for the CEO Derald Bontrager 574-825-5861

No, you won't get thru to him. However, explain to the VP of marketing (or whatever) your situation and ask him/her to rectify it.

Your primary question is, "can you deliver on the promise?" Jayco states YOUR SATISFACTION IS OUR NUMBER ONE GOAL. Consider his alternatives and make your best choice.

Your salesman has no control over the situation. Yet, if you stop with him or his boss your chances of getting a positive resolution if minimal.
I will give it a couple of days and let things shake out before going that far. I have a complete and total solution in mind that I will post separately here in a sec, and it would be what I would propose to Jayco directly in an attempt to "make this right".
Old 08-20-2016, 04:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
The OP admits that he ordered a somewhat unusual trailer because of his options. If he ordered his in a way that is rarely done, its highly doubtful that the dealer can find another similar one sitting around somewhere.

There is a reason I ordered my Jayco in January... I had a pretty short turn around time. Ordering in the middle of the summer and having a firm deadline by which you can receive it is a recipe for disaster. Prices are higher, demand is higher, the assembly line is busier, transporters are busier. Yes, it SUCKS that it is taking this long and I have empathy for the OP. One on hand its good to see that Jayco's business is doing so well that it takes 4 months to get a trailer, but on the other hand it sucks to have to wait that long.

OP, if you have a good dealer, they might be willing to drop the price some and help you out with your $1100 trip conundrum. I doubt Jayco will do much, they obviously aren't hurting for sales if it takes 4-5 months to get an order made.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. It sounds very frustrating... but I don't see any blame on the dealer.
It is only unusual in the sense that it isn't something that a dealer would necessarily order to sit on the lot. It has a couple of premium options that most wouldn't bother with, like the residential refrigerator, and tankless water heater, which are both new options for the Eagle TT line this year.

As I stated earlier, I had talked with both the dealer AND Jayco about our deadline and BOTH assured us that we should get our trailer in plenty of time. I understand that unexpected things do occur but at the same time, a company or person is only as good as their word and I am hoping that all this praise I hear about how Jayco steps up and makes things right will still be a guiding principal now that Thor owns the company. The part the bothers me the most about all of this is that there was NO communication from Jayco or my dealership in regards to any delays. I don't know when the timeline changed on our trailer, but one would think that any reputable company would reach out to everyone that this type of delay would affect. Had I known even a few weeks earlier, we could have changed our arrival date and just waited. Now it's within 60 days of our arrival date and they won't let us change. We either show up or lose the 1100.00.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But the dealer didn't follow the order to keep the customer notified so he could make other plans if needed. When we ordered our PINNACLE I was called/e-mailed about every 10 days.
I wish I had your salesman/dealer Grumpy!!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
4 of 5 of the unavailable upgrades could be added by the dealer. If you can live w/out the double panes, consider negotiating with your dealer to add your options at a deal for you. We did this with our 5er and got the MorRyde pin and slide toppers added at "no cost". A word about toppers, be sure to specify color and style.
The trailer they already have located has the right color, the table and chairs, the residential refrigerator and the 2nd AC, which are all "mandatory" options according to the DW. As for the other 5, we are still working on figuring that all out.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 AM   #30

After sleeping on this whole thing, I emailed my salesman with yet another possible solution that allows Jayco to step up, saves the dealership the hassle and expense of having to do the other option upgrades, and it would make us happy as clams.

Our original proposal was to:

Have the dealership install the tankless water heater, slide toppers, 2nd awning, and Maxxis tire upgrade on the trailer they found that has pretty much everything else other than the dual pane windows. Keep the price the same (minus the window upgrade cost) and call it good.

The problem I see with that is parts ordering, it still affects our timeline, and we don't get the windows.

So after sleeping on it, here is what I emailed them this morning:

We take the trailer they have already located with the right color, the residential refrigerator, 2nd AC, and table and chairs. The dealership does the tire upgrade NOW and we head for Florida. When we return in the spring, we drop the trailer off at the factory and Jayco finishes ALL of the option upgrades INCLUDING the windows. It's only about a 2 hour drive to the factory from our house so I would have no problems going back down to pick it up when they were done.

That way we end up with the trailer we ordered in the first place, at the price we negotiated, the dealer is not stuck having to eat a bunch of costs, we give Jayco PLENTY of time to get any backordered parts in and ready to install, plenty of time to meet an appointment service window and we still make our reservation in October.

Not sure if Jayco thinks this is acceptable but I think it is a win win for all.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #31
Site Team

Sounds reasonable if everyone agrees. Sometimes sleeping on it makes things clearer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Sounds reasonable if everyone agrees. Sometimes sleeping on it makes things clearer.
I don't think there was a lot of sleeping. I would go to bed and lay awake all night trying to figure out a resolution.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
I don't think there was a lot of sleeping. I would go to bed and lay awake all night trying to figure out a resolution.
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!! Yeah, the sleeping part was a generalization at best. I did nod off a few times but mostly just tossed and turned all night.

But at least now, I think I have come up with what I consider to be a reasonable compromise. I can't imagine the dealership having any issues with my latest proposal since it basically tosses the ball back in Jayco's court, so that leaves it up to Jayco to decide. Guess I am going to find out just how "customer focused" they really are.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #34

Just a generic question about the whole ordering process. The OP says they have a "purchase contract" with the dealer. Not sure what that is exactly but does it not include any language regarding delivery deadlines? I don't see how they could possibly justify retention of your deposit if they are the ones who fail to perform according to the contract.

Again, if a "purchase contract" does not include any kind of performance deadline is it even a real contract?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #35

The Buyers Order / Purchase Agreement for a unit that has to be ordered should not be open ended as far as the delivery date is concerned. If the sale cannot be completed by the date specified, the Agreement will expire, and both parties can agree to extend the date, or the customer can "walk away" with his/her deposit refunded.

One thing I've learned about floor-plans over the last 9 campers is, never get a slide that has anything gas related in it (Stove, oven, fridge, etc.). Those flexing gas connections seem to cause nothing but trouble!

As far as a loaner... If the dealer is willing, who cares what floor-plan it is, it's just temporary, to save your vacation.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
The Buyers Order / Purchase Agreement for a unit that has to be ordered should not be open ended as far as the delivery date is concerned. If the sale cannot be completed by the date specified, the Agreement will expire, and both parties can agree to extend the date, or the customer can "walk away" with his/her deposit refunded.

One thing I've learned about floor-plans over the last 9 campers is, never get a slide that has anything gas related in it (Stove, oven, fridge, etc.). Those flexing gas connections seem to cause nothing but trouble!

As far as a loaner... If the dealer is willing, who cares what floor-plan it is, it's just temporary, to save your vacation.
Well, the one that we signed does not have any stipulation as to a delivery promised date or window and in big bold letters, it states that deposits are non refundable. I would be curious how many RV purchase agreements on ordered trailers actually stipulate a specific delivery window. I would dare to guess that unless it was demanded by the buyer, that most would not just by the nature of the business in general.

I don't want to turn this thread into a legal discussion nor am I an attorney, but I believe I would have a good case in a court of law to get that deposit refunded based solely on verbal agreements (that were witnessed) and the fact that I will incur fiscal loss because of their inability to fulfill their part of the agreement in the time stated in that verbal agreement. I also believe I have given both the dealership and Jayco a reasonable and doable solution to this situation so that all parties come out of this whole. If they turn that down, I think they just give me more ammo.

Regardless, I am trying my best to stay positive that this will all work out and that if it actually came down to cancelling the order, that they would not force me to get an attorney to simply get my deposit back.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #37
Site Team

Taken from the JOF Community Rules:
-----------------------------------------------
Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors, products or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Threads that drift into this area do not stay open so keeping it positive is a good idea.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Just a generic question about the whole ordering process. The OP says they have a "purchase contract" with the dealer. Not sure what that is exactly but does it not include any language regarding delivery deadlines? I don't see how they could possibly justify retention of your deposit if they are the ones who fail to perform according to the contract.

Again, if a "purchase contract" does not include any kind of performance deadline is it even a real contract?
I misstated in that it is a "Purchase Agreement". The purchase agreement basically states the "numbers" in relation to the deal. The price of the trailer, the make/model and what options are to be on the trailer, our trade in value, taxes, deposits, down payments, and amount due on delivery are all listed and itemized. And even though the purchase agreement doesn't spell out in writing a deliver window, we did verbally agree to the latest extension (8-10 weeks from 6-8) and have witnesses that heard them tell us that before we agreed to that extension. Last I knew, verbal agreements are still valid in a court of law, are they not?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Taken from the JOF Community Rules:
Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors, products or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden.

Threads that drift into this area do not stay open so keeping it positive is a good idea.

I apologize if this thread has crossed the line. My intent is to get feedback from others that may have ran into this type of situation and how theirs was resolved. It also may bring up some situation when negotiating with a dealer on what they might want to consider having in their agreements/contracts to try and avoid exactly what I am running into.

I truly don't want it to turn into a legal discussion or a B(*&^ session. But if you feel the need to close it, please do so. and again, please accept my apologies.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #40

Nor did I intend to turn the discussion into the legal area. I was just wondering if delivery date might be a good thing to include should I or others decide to special order an RV from the manufacturer. Doesn't really matter who the manufacturer might be. Although it does the OP no good, that stipulation might be a good way to prevent this kind of disagreement in the future and might be good information for others.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote