Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #101

RV sales have been blooming the last couple years! I'm not surprised to see the manufacturing dates slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #102
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
If you can get what you want.
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need

The Stones.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #103

Read the RV Travel Newsletter of 8/27/16 and you might get an idea why there is a slippage in your build date. Seems are there is a labor pool shortge in the Elkhart, IN area.
Folks are having trouble passing a drug test and some don't like to come to work at 6AM or on Mondays. As they say in Japan, rocks of ruck!!! If you are lucky, life will go on!!!
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
Read the RV Travel Newsletter of 8/27/16 and you might get an idea why there is a slippage in your build date. Seems are there is a labor pool shortge in the Elkhart, IN area.
Folks are having trouble passing a drug test and some don't like to come to work at 6AM or on Mondays. As they say in Japan, rocks of ruck!!! If you are lucky, life will go on!!!
Could you post a link to that newsletter?
I would like to read the letter.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Biggest lesson I learned from this thread is to order the trailer 6 months in advance to when you'll need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I were to order again, I will order at the very beginning of the model year to try and ensure mine gets built during the first rotation instead of a subsequent one. After we submitted our order, they told us that we missed the cutoff for our model by just a week. But who knew it would be 5 months before they got around to running that model again. Everyone told us it wouldn't be this long, but here we are.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
...or buy out of dealer stock!

Murff
We did that with out current trailer and have been kicking ourselves in the behind ever since. That is why we ordered exactly what we wanted this go around. Those compromises are now costing us quite a lot, and in more ways than one.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #107

Quote:
Thanks for the read.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
Could you post a link to that newsletter?
I would like to read the letter.
Here ya go.

RV Travel Newsletter, Aug. 27-Sept. 2 – RV Travel
Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #109

Quote:
This morning, your comment prompted me to poke around a little more in regards to this. I ended up reading comments from current/former workers on sites like glassdoor that state that Jayco's drug testing has some issues as well because at least a few reviews say they have drug addicts and alcoholics currently working on the lines as well.

If true (and I state that knowing that you can't believe everything you read on the interwebs), that might also explain the perceived dropoff in Jayco quality control as well as blatant mistakes such as things wired/connected wrong or not at all for starters.

So sounds like it might just be a "perfect storm" going on down there in Indiana and who knows what the outcomes will be. I am trying to hold on to any optimism I have left that we will get ours before the first of the year.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #110

They don't build them like the used to...
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #111

I went to Jaycos website after reading that Rv Travel Newsletter to see what type of job listing they have. I was surprised to only see 10-12 listings, most were office type work and only a few for line work, and it also didn't list how many line positions were available. One also has to pass a drug and alcohol test, I have heard of drug testing but never alcohol testing. No wonder they can't get or keep workers if one can't have a beer after work. I think the RV industry is going to be in trouble trying to find a workforce unless they move factories to other states like the auto companies do, or at least to other parts of IN which will still keep suppliers close and add to the available workforce.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #112

They pride themselves, or at least they used to, on having a large Amish workforce... the more modern Amish do not drink, some of the more old school ones do, but they make their own hooch. Maybe they are trying to keep their Amish workforce large?

If so, they should build a factory in Pennsylvania.

Or... It's pretty common now for any industry that is directly involved with rolling stock that falls under department of transportation regs to include some form of alcohol screening. In my experience, it's usually limited to a pre-employment check, and the right to retest after accident though and not a random test. Booze stays in your system too long to pass those. Can't imagine losing a 15/hour job because I rolled my butt into work a little hung over. That's just a typical monday.

I guess they won't be moving to Colorado anytime soon. Most of us would fail all their tests.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFlightJoe View Post
Go find another dealer
How would starting over from the beginning with a new dealer help get the trailer manufactured and delivered sooner?
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
How would starting over from the beginning with a new dealer help get the trailer manufactured and delivered sooner?
I wondered that as well.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #115

Well, after 18 weeks it appears our trials and tribulations are finally coming to an end. Or are they?

A day short of 18 weeks since we placed our order, our 330RSTS finally came off the line yesterday.

Of course being that our trailer was built on a Friday, the pessimistic side of me is drudging up all kinds of new horrors that I might be looking at when we leave for Florida in just over a week from now.

I plan on spending a LOT of time with the PDI checklist mentioned on this site (thanks very much). The "adventure" begins again!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #116
Lost in the Woods

Congrats,

Well things are being done on ours getting close ,I would try to pull the plug unless it's to late,, start at front slowly work back fill and dump tanks what axles and tires frame supports, floor check for screws and hollow spots,ask to look behind storage bay walls does the furniture work then do it again,one question for you on using your short bed any problems who's hitch thanks and good luck
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #117

Go over thoroughly. Go to this site RV Inspection Checklist, it will give you a comprehensive list of all things needed to be checked for the RV. I would even have them spray water in the roof, windows and to of the slide as well. Good luck, I hope Jayco does right by you they have by me for 23+ years.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by My garage View Post
Well things are being done on ours getting close ,I would try to pull the plug unless it's to late,, start at front slowly work back fill and dump tanks what axles and tires frame supports, floor check for screws and hollow spots,ask to look behind storage bay walls does the furniture work then do it again,one question for you on using your short bed any problems who's hitch thanks and good luck
There's no way I am "pulling the plug" at this point. It's just after everything we went thru already in just getting this far, I need a few things to go right before that "little horny guy" stops with all the grumbling!

As for the short bed, since it's a TT, I don't have any problems at all. I did upgrade the receiver on my 3/4 ton truck with a Reese 20,000/2,000# and have a new Blue Ox BXW2003 hitch to tow it with.

Let the games begin!
Old 10-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #119

I hope all goes well for you at the PDI!
Old 10-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFlightJoe View Post
Go over thoroughly. Go to this site RV Inspection Checklist, it will give you a comprehensive list of all things needed to be checked for the RV. I would even have them spray water in the roof, windows and to of the slide as well. Good luck, I hope Jayco does right by you they have by me for 23+ years.
Got copies already on clipboards and ready to go and already sent a copy to the salesman! Although he assured me quite a few times, about how good THEIR PDI process was, they have agreed to pull the trailer to the side of the repair facility and hook up water and power after our initial walkthrough so I can do the checklist myself. Plan to spend most of the day there. Like the spray test idea! Thanks for the suggestion!