Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #1

Major Jayco Fail!!! What would you do?

When we ordered our 2017 Jayco Eagle 330RSTS in mid June, we were somewhat apprehensive about doing so because it was imperative that we have the trailer delivered, and any issues fixed before a departure date of Mid October or we stood to lose an $1100.00+ credit that was generated because our current POS Coachmen literally fell apart on us and we had to cut our stay short last winter. But after talking with both the salesman and the Jayco rep personally, we were told it should only be 6-8 weeks and making our departure date would be no problem. So we submitted the order.

A few weeks afterwards, we were updated and told that things were pushed back a bit due to the number of orders received and the window was now 8-10 weeks but should be closer to 8. Knowing that we could still have a couple of months, between getting our trailer and making the reservation, we let the order stand.

Fast forward 6 weeks from our last contact with either entity (last Friday) and we were starting to get antsy so I zipped off an email to the salesman asking for an update. He called the next day and said he was just calling to make sure we were all on the same page in preparation for our trailers arrival. I asked if he had actually heard a date yet, and he said no but he would contact Jayco. As the days went by this past week with no call back, I started to get that sinking feeling that something was up and my suspicions were not unfounded.

Our salesman called back today and told us that Jayco is now telling him that our trailer won't be built until the END OF OCTOBER!!! WTH!!!!! That means we would be looking at more than DOUBLE their latest build estimate and no one thought to give us a call??? I admit our trailer is "unique" in regards to our options (fairly loaded) but we are talking 5 months here. Am I wrong to be just a little ticked off by this, especially when we are 9 weeks into a 10 week window and had heard nothing until I pushed to get an update? And even if I wanted to try at this point, it is too late to change our arrival date with our reservation in October.

Here is a list of our options:

Meadow Interior
Table and Chairs
2nd AC
Residential Refrigerator
2nd awning
Tankless water heater
Dual Pane windows
Maxxis Tire upgrade
Slide toppers.

Our salesman told us he has been knocking himself out trying to locate another trailer on another lot somewhere that is as close to possible to this one but sadly he hasn't done so well. He did find one with the first 4 options on the list but lacking the last 5.

It is too late for us to change our reservations dates in October so although I wanted to just blow my top at the guy, I tried to think of an acceptable compromise.

My first thought was that with the exception of the dual pane windows, (which I don't think could be installed at the dealership and would probably take forever to get them ordered and delivered, or COULD THEY) the other 4 options should be able to be ordered and installed fairly quickly at the dealership. So I asked the salesman to contact Jayco and see if between the two of them, they can find a way to step up and authorize the dealership to install those "options" (minus the windows) to get the trailer they found as close as possible to what we ordered AT THE PRICE WE ORDERED minus the 1500.00 for the windows. We really wanted the windows because we had a lot of condensation issues this past winter in our current trailer, especially when the DW was cooking inside during bad weather, but I suppose I could get them to install a vent in the kitchen area or some other work around to help mitigate that somewhat.

My only other options are to just cancel the order and keep our trailer we have for this winter to keep from losing the 1100.00 deposit, but that means I have to spend another winter in a POS that neither of us feel safe towing or staying in. The last option is to just wait for the trailer we ordered and lose the 1100.00 dollar deposit.

What would you do? Can you think of any other possible options we could consider?

Old 08-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunate situation. Could you stay in your current unit until the new one comes in and then make the trip back home to pick it up or is that not practical with distance, etc?

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Unfortunate situation. Could you stay in your current unit until the new one comes in and then make the trip back home to pick it up or is that not practical with distance, etc?
That would be my same question. As far as the windows go, you could invest in a good dehumidifier??
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

There is a reason why you ordered the camper you did. I would use the old one for one more trip. You will be happier in the long run.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Not practical for a few reasons.

3000+ mile round trip.
No confidence it would make it that far again in one piece given it's history.
Still has unresolved issues that include a yet to be found power short which makes us feel it is unsafe.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
That would be my same question. As far as the windows go, you could invest in a good dehumidifier??
Possible, or a ceiling exhaust fan in the living area to help move the air around better. Actually was already on my "to do" list.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

Maybe the dealer could lend you a trailer for your trip in October?
I have a really tiny camper and mine has a vent over the stove that has an exhaust fan that vents outside. I also usually open the kitchen window just a bit.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

I think I would cancel, Jayco is certainly culpable but you bought the unit from a dealership that just gave you a glimpse of their customer service.

I'm assuming the trip is a winter snow bird trip, if so I would then take your trip with the existing trailer and look for a new one but when you are where ever your are going.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
There is a reason why you ordered the camper you did. I would use the old one for one more trip. You will be happier in the long run.
Yes there were, but after only one year of ownership, those reasons are no where near enough to convince us to spend another night let alone another month in it when we just don't feel safe. I would rather eat lose our deposit than spend one more night in our current trailer.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

loss

I'd make the dealer or Jayco eat the $1100.00

sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote