Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Manual Slide out Whitehawk 25BHS?? Help!

Hi all. Hopefully you experts can help. I was camping with my family this weekend and my 2016 Whitehawk 25BHS had one of the slide outs malfunction. It was already out and when I went to close it, it wouldn't close! The other slide out and awning all work fine. It seems like maybe the motor on the slide out broke.

I looked in the manual and I could figure out how to access the manual slide out. It doesn't describe in the owners manual where it is and I couldn't find it. I called the place where I bought it but believe it or not they said their service department was closed today and the salesman working today didn't know!

The campground didn't have internet signal or phone service. I went to the gate and the girl was really not helpful. She gave me a list of places they had on their list but ALL of them were closed today being sunday. I had to just leave it there and have to deal with it tomorrow as my kids had to get back. (It was about 1.5 hours from my house).

Can anyone explain where exactly I can find the area to close this manually so I can take it in to be fixed? I'd appreciate detailed instructions. I googled it but I couldn't find it for my model. Just other companies.

I'd greatly appreciate and thank you in advance!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #2

I just spent an EXTREMELY frustrating day as I was literally at the RV Park for almost 9 hours with no show mechanics and finally one having to come from Palm Springs because no one could come out today.

I called Jayco HQ this morning as well as the place where I bought it (Richardson's RV out of Menifee, CA). And they BOTH told me there was a manual crank for the passenger side (near kitchen) slide out. They told me it was UNDERNEATH the RV. I looked all over for it and couldn't find it.

I called several companies to come out and one no showed after waiting 2 hours. Another one had to drive out from the Palm Springs area all the way to Temecula. He spent an hour there trying in vain to find the switch box. He said this pop out does NOT have a manual crank. He said there is a Lippert control box that he needed to reset.

He looked everywhere and he finally found it behind the paneling under the refrigerator. He tried to reset it several times (pushing 6 times and then holding in on 7th push). It didn't work. The warning signaled "high battery" whatever that means. He had never seen it before. We disconnected the battery and waited a few minutes. (I disconnected the battery before he arrived but that didn't do anything as I couldn't find the panel box).

Finally I was able to get my slide on the kitchen side in. I will take it in to see what was causing it but just horribly frustrated that Jayco didn't put the location of this box in their owner's manual and even the "expert" that I called to Jayco Headquarters gave the wrong information on the phone.

I wanted to provide this information for those that are looking that have this problem. Look at the s-shaped zig zag tracks. If your RV has this then you can't manually crank it in.

Also, the owner's manual had manual crank instructions for the other side but Jayco must have screwed up as they had a SMOOTH round bar instead of the ability to use the lowering jack or wrench. I guess a crescent wrench might work but I'm not sure. I found it really strange their owner's manual is so off. I'd avoid buying a Jayco in the future!

There is NO reason why Jayco when you give them your model # shouldn't be able to give you correct and proper information.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #3

They donít put specific info in the owners manual because the manuals are somewhat generic and are used for multiple models. I would have expected to see a manual specific to that slide out.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I just spent an EXTREMELY frustrating day as I was literally at the RV Park for almost 9 hours with no show mechanics ...snip

Finally I was able to get my slide on the kitchen side in. I will take it in to see what was causing it but just horribly frustrated that Jayco didn't put the location of this box in their owner's manual and even the "expert" that I called to Jayco Headquarters gave the wrong information on the phone.

I wanted to provide this information for those that are looking that have this problem. Look at the s-shaped zig zag tracks. If your RV has this then you can't manually crank it in.
I hear you and understand your frustration.

Please let us know what you, or the service technician, did to get your slide in. Potentially that could save a member from the extremely frustrating day you went through.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #5

earlyretirement, your kitchen slide is a SCHWINTEK slide system. It does not have a way to manually "crank" the slide in or out. There is a procedure to follow that will allow you to push the slide in. Do a search on YouTube for this type of slide system. There a vids on how to do it.
The othere slide mechanism you have has a motoe located under the underbelly material. On my Jayco fifth wheel, there is a piece of underbelly that can be removed to access the slide motor. On one end of the motor there is a hexagonal piece that a ratchet/socket or power drill/socket can be attached to and close the slide.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I hear you and understand your frustration.

Please let us know what you, or the service technician, did to get your slide in. Potentially that could save a member from the extremely frustrating day you went through.

Oh, I thought I explained it in my post. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The procedure to manually reset the slide for the kitchen pop out in the Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS is to look under the refrigerator. I didn't even see screws there or know you could access that. The technician that came out didn't see it either but he called his friend that works a lot with Jayco's and he told him that it has to be on that wall. (Jayco told me it was underneath the RV). He said that it's either in the cabinets, under the sink, or in that wall somewhere.

I posted a photo of the electronically reset switch. You can read the instructions on the photo. There is a reset button that you have to push with a pen. You push it 6 times and then on the 7th time you hold it in. Again, the first few times he did this it didn't work. Only when we unplugged the 12 v. battery did it work after we tried it again.

So if this happens to you and you have this model (or one like it try that procedure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
earlyretirement, your kitchen slide is a SCHWINTEK slide system. It does not have a way to manually "crank" the slide in or out. There is a procedure to follow that will allow you to push the slide in. Do a search on YouTube for this type of slide system. There a vids on how to do it.
The othere slide mechanism you have has a motoe located under the underbelly material. On my Jayco fifth wheel, there is a piece of underbelly that can be removed to access the slide motor. On one end of the motor there is a hexagonal piece that a ratchet/socket or power drill/socket can be attached to and close the slide.
Yes, exactly triplebvalp. THIS is what the Jayco "expert" should have told me when I called their Headquarters. It wasn't some operator that gave me instructions. They told me they would connect me an "expert" that deals with my model. She told me there is a hand crank for the kitchen slide out as well as well as the living room slide out. This was INCORRECT information.

Hey, I totally get that owner's manuals can't include everything but at a minimum they should have included this in the manual. And definitely when you call Jayco they should be trusted to give the correct information.

Look also where I posted the photo of the crank for the other side. In the photo you can see that there is NO hexagonal piece. It's smooth and round so I'm not sure if that is a mistake. The owner's manual also said what you are saying that it should be hexagonal to work with the landing gear manual crank provided with Jayco.

Also, to note, the mechanic that came out said that if that reset procedure didn't work then the last resort was he would have to disconnect the motor and then we would have to manually push it in. He said it was a major pain. So keep in mind if you have a SCHWINTEK system and the motor breaks then that reset procedure won't work.

Hopefully this helps future owners.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:

Look also where I posted the photo of the crank for the other side. In the photo you can see that there is NO hexagonal piece. It's smooth and round so I'm not sure if that is a mistake. The owner's manual also said what you are saying that it should be hexagonal to work with the landing gear manual crank provided with Jayco.

The hexagonal piece is on the motor. So, you need to find the motor.
Reese M5 20K
Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
The hexagonal piece is on the motor. So, you need to find the motor.
Do you happen to know where the motor is? I removed some paneling on the bottom and didnít see it.
earlyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

Earlyretirement, sorry to hear about this frustrating episode but thanks for posting it and the information that might help someone else avoid a very frustrating day.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Do you happen to know where the motor is? I removed some paneling on the bottom and didnít see it.

Not on your Whitehawk. On my Jayco Fifth Wheel, there is an access panel in the underbelly material that is located in front of the pull out stairs.
Reese M5 20K
Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #11

Greetings! I have the same year and model of Jayco and experienced a similar, though not exact, problem. When pulling the trailer out of winter storage (indoor, no battery or power attached), I hooked up the battery and started testing light, slide operation, etc. The kitchen slid out (Schwintek) motors were seriously out of sync. Motor one would operate for several revolutions, about three inches of movement and then motor two would begin to operate. Of course this caused the slide out to get cocked and jam causing both motors to stop. I found that if I reversed the slide out just a bit that motor one would start first and if I got off the switch BEFORE motor two engaged it became ‘less cocked’ and I was able to extend the slide out another few inches. By repeating this sequence I was able to ‘inch’ the slide out fully (once the ‘motor one’ side was fully out the ‘motor two’ side ‘caught up’ after a few more switch cycles. With the slide fully extended I was able to access the motor sync controller as shown in the OP’s picture above. I punched the reset six times and held on the seventh until the LED started flashing per instructions. When I went to the switch to retract the slide I still had the problem of motor one engaging before motor two. I discovered that you needed to reset the controller with the six plus hold the seventh process but needed to operate the slide control switch on the control panel BEFORE THE LED STOPS FLASHING. You only have maybe 10-15 seconds. The motors have been in perfect sync ever since. I do make a habit of extending or retracting fully without interruption AND holding the switch on for 8 to 10 seconds after to motors stop which is supposed to be the process to re-sync the motors without having to access the controller. I will take this as a lesson to post this type of information in the future to perhaps save someone frustration as our gracious OP has done.
Brian D-J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual slide out