Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2020, 05:39 AM   #1

Mattress - Making it more comfortable

The title says it all. The mattress Jayco put in our camper is lousy. Without buying an upgraded mattress, what do you recommend I do to make the mattress more comfortable? My lower back appreciates your insight.
jmwsr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #2

Add a memory foam mattress topper.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwsr47 View Post
The title says it all. The mattress Jayco put in our camper is lousy. Without buying an upgraded mattress, what do you recommend I do to make the mattress more comfortable? My lower back appreciates your insight.

A My Pillow 3" mattress topper.......never had a bad nights sleep since!

https://www.mypillow.com/newtopperspecial.html
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:01 AM   #4

Many people here have used memory foam toppers. We tried one but it just didn't do it for us. We bought a new mattress from amazon. Not top of the line but not garbage either. Made a world of difference for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #5

Memory foam topper for us too. Makes a big improvement.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
Tad

Zinus mattress. Great reviews. Super inexpensive. Amazon
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #7

Our mattress in the TT was so lousy that a mattress topper only made it a little less lousy. We camp seasonally and the mattress has permanent indentations in the mattress where we both sleep. Even after 7 months of not camping, the mattress didn't rebound. We've flipped the mattress and rotated it, but nothing help. It truly is the cheapest piece of foam I think I've encountered.

We replaced ours with a inexpensive memory foam mattress from Amazon, much better.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #8

Throw the old one away and get something like this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-10-...?selected=true

Inexpensive, and as comfortable for us.
jeffmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #9

We ran a 4" memory foam topper on our OEM mattress in the trailer for a couple years and it was fine. Eventually the base mattress began to deteriorate and we replaced with a Zinus, which is super nice. We even added a small topper to the Zinus, and now it sleeps AWESOME.

I actually moved that setup from my TT to the MH when we purchased it. I didn't even feel the new mattress in the MH. I had them move the OEM mattress from the Greyhawk directly into the travel trailer on pickup day during the walk-thru. My salesman came while we were doing our PDI and asked where was the mattress for the TT I was trading, I pointed to the master bedroom in the MH and said "back there, brand spanking new and still in plastic!" I had removed my Zinus and left it at the house to be moved into the MH when we got it home that first day.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #10

Since you rejected a new mattress the only option is adding a topper. But eventually the topper is only as good as what it sits on top of. I really wish the brand name mattress companies would quit selling custom ultra-crap level mattresses to the RV industry. Basically new buyers fall for the advertising and think they are getting a quality mattress because it's a Sealy or such.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #11

Unfortunately, the only real solution is a whole new mattress. A topper is lipstick on a pig IMO.. The original crappy Jayco mattress will just continue to degrade under the topper.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #12

Check out Montana mattress company. We bought ours there and are very happy with it.
windywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Many people here have used memory foam toppers. We tried one but it just didn't do it for us. We bought a new mattress from amazon. Not top of the line but not garbage either. Made a world of difference for us.

We bought a Brentwood homes 11" mattress. ZERO regrets. We love it.. We're starting out 5th season with it.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
Site Team

We purchased a sleep number bed for our rig. The brand new original mattress is rolled up in plastic awaiting the day we sell the rig. The sleep number comes with us!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Unfortunately, the only real solution is a whole new mattress. A topper is lipstick on a pig IMO.. The original crappy Jayco mattress will just continue to degrade under the topper.
+1

A topper over OEM like what we and others did (and we knew this going in) was a stop-gap. And it worked fine in that capacity for a while.

Just know that it is what it is; eventually you'll end up replacing the whole thing. So, the decision is yours to spend on a thick topper now AND a new mattress later, or just rip off the band-aid and replace it all now.

In our case, we spent like $120 on the topper from Wal-Mart (basically an emergency purchase and I wasn't willing to wait for the Amazon delivery), then something like $250 on the mattress almost 2 years later, then something like $70 yet later on another (thinner at 2") topper. We REALLY like the support of the Zinus (10"), but wanted a little more "plush" on top, so we picked up a 2" topper after about a year running just the mattress.

I ended up cutting up the original 4" topper and putting it in my son's bunk in the TT. Made it really nice back there for him. So we got even more use out of it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #16

Not sure what kind it was but my wife bought a mattress topper that works great. It's not foam an it goes on like a bed sheet meaning it wraps the mattress
Old 05-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #17

I've done the topper with foam and I'm now ready for a real mattress. I have an X17Z so the mattress has to fold in half when traveling. Anybody done the same or have suggestions
jbergsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I feel the same way and laugh every time someone says topper, makes me wonder what kind of crappy mattress they sleep on at home. The only way to get a good nights sleep in a TT is toss the original mattress and buy a new one.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #19
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I feel the same way and laugh every time someone says topper, makes me wonder what kind of crappy mattress they sleep on at home. The only way to get a good nights sleep in a TT is toss the original mattress and buy a new one.
Kind of a broad statement consider all that is out there. We had a great mattress in the Heartland and I was highly disappointed with the POS that the Greyhawk has in it. We have a very high dollar Sleep number at home and I like it but did not want to put something like that in a RV that we use a total of maybe 60-90 days a year.

I searched around and settled on this:

I thought if it did not work we were not out much. Well, we both are very happy with it and for awhile found, if we did not force ourselves out of bed in the morning we would sleep hours longer than we needed or wanted. It has filled the bill.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #20

Sorry...another vote for memory foam topper 3 years ago. We bought ours from Costco...figured we could return it if we didn't like it! We still have it and love it!