Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #1

Mattress replacement suggestions for queen bed

It has been a while since I have made my last post and I know there have been a number of posts about replacing the horrific beds in RV's...the fact is they shouldn't even call those things beds. Anyway, I digress. Right now we are using the mattress that came with our trailer but added a 2" topper from Costco a few years ago.

I am curious to know if people have replaced their queen mattresses with beds that are the exact same dimensions, or if people have gone with the longer mattresses? I know that our trailer has a short queen in it but I am not aware of many short queen options out there that are super comfortable.

What can you suggest? Many thanks in advance.

p.s. With living in Canada I may not be able to pursue mattress options (companies) that are outside the country but it doesn't hurt to look.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #2

If you browse Amazon you'll find many mattresses available in 'standard' sizes AND in RV queen.

A few folks have taken an electric carving knife to their foam mattresses to shorten it. A few others went with the standard size and live with the inconvenience of the extra length.

We're tired of our mattress topper, too. Our TT bed takes a standard size queen mattress and I am shopping for a mattress for it. While searching, one of the things I've tried to determine was did people find a given mattress in a RV comfortable. Why? Because those are likely to be on a solid platform like ours, not a box spring.

I don't know the challenges you face buying a mattress in Canada. But, if you look, you'll find that 'short queen' mattresses are quite common and except for the length are made the same as standard length mattresses.

Happy shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #3

We went with the Zinus 8" from Amazon.ca. Worked out great. Have it lots of time to expand and off gas. Came in a couple of days.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #4

3rd happy season with our Zinus 10" innerspring from Amazon, short queen. Still very comfortable, nice and firm.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #5

This is what we did
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-10-...?selected=true

Comfortable and inexpensive, and added almost no weight
jeffmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #6

X2 on the Zinus 10 inch, not a lot of money, fits fine.

A bit heavy to lift the bed even with bed lifters. Thinking about a 12 volt bed lifter as a mod like some have done.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #7

newrvguy68. We replaced our mattress with a Lucid 10". Works well for us and was reasonably priced with no off odor. I my research I found comparisons
for comfort for side, back and stomach sleepers. These comparisons may help your decision. Good luck.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmcpa View Post
This is what we did
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-10-...?selected=true

Comfortable and inexpensive, and added almost no weight

If you fill it with helium, it will add even less weight
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #9

as far as dimensions make sure if you go standard that you have clearance at the foot. We don't. Changing the plywood would be no problem but longer means we cannot exit the sides.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #10

We bought a Lucid 10" foam short (rv) queen for $299. Very comfortable. We kept it when we traded our TT in. Not using it but still got it, lol.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #11

Oldmanaz-the lucid 10" we purchased sits on a platform. I have read that foam matresses should not be used on a boxspring. No experience just read it a couple of years ago.

Big Al
Old 06-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #12

Oldmanaz - we purchased a 10" Lucid 2 years ago. It sits on a plywood platform. Works well for us so far for about 60 nights. Also read 2 years ago that ours is not made to sit on a box spring or it will be just like a matress/boxspring set. Defeats the purpose.

Big Al
Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #13

Sorry for the double post. Forgot about the delay.

Big Al
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 AM   #14

My wife bought a 3 or 4 inch feather bed mattress topper that we’ve enjoyed for years. It might be 15 now. If I ever decide to replace the mattress I will buy a sleep number.
https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/c/rv-beds-mattresses
ShawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #15

Replacement mattress

We had room at the foot of the bed, so we extended the frame using regular plywood so that it would accommodate a 60 x 80 queen. We purchased a sleep number about four years ago and have been very happy with it. The only thing is if you travel a lot you have to readjust the Settings every time you move the camper due to changes in altitude
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #16

we recently replaced ours with an Aspen from https://wildernessrvmattress.com/. We had to special order the size since the X213 has a weird sized platform. We got it right before vacation, and except for reducing the head room in our rear slide, we've been really happy with it.
rmnpcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #17

I replaced the original mattress in my 5th wheel with a select comfort. They make one that will fit fine.
Red Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #18

I have a 35un so the bed is on a rear slide - but the oem mattress is a short queen. And the oem mattress is a piece of junk. I bought a new foam queen full size mattress from Casper mattresses online and i had two blocks of foam made that fit under the foot of the mattress where it overhangs past the plywood platform.
Works fine and when i bring the slide in I just pull the end of the mattress up a bit and then push it down once the slide is in fully.
At 6’2” sleeping on a short queen is just ridiculous and worse crazy uncomfortable.

I took the oem mattress - that is touted by Jayco as a fancy pillow top and I cut it up to put in the trash bin and it is just cheap foam inside - not memory foam - just super cheap crappy white low density foam .

The weight does not seem to any difference on driving ability.

Junk that oem mattress asap. And jayco - in a 36’ rv you need to add the few inches to put a full size queen in the coach.
Jeff k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrvguy68 View Post
It has been a while since I have made my last post and I know there have been a number of posts about replacing the horrific beds in RV's...the fact is they shouldn't even call those things beds. Anyway, I digress. Right now we are using the mattress that came with our trailer but added a 2" topper from Costco a few years ago.

I am curious to know if people have replaced their queen mattresses with beds that are the exact same dimensions, or if people have gone with the longer mattresses? I know that our trailer has a short queen in it but I am not aware of many short queen options out there that are super comfortable.

What can you suggest? Many thanks in advance.

p.s. With living in Canada I may not be able to pursue mattress options (companies) that are outside the country but it doesn't hurt to look.
We have a Hummingbird 17RK. We take extended trips so we replaced the stock mattress with this one from Amazon. It is very comfortable. Maybe the best mattress we own. We did get the 10 inch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BuckeyeHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #20
75H

Before last year's big trip we purchased a foam topper that has since yellowed and been tossed.

For this year's trip, we replaced the MH mattress with a Classic gel memory foam 8" RV queen, which was also referred to in places as a short queen. Would have gone with the 10" version, however access to closet doors and a drawer (slide in) was a factor as even the topper interfered with these due to height.

We've been sleeping on it two weeks and I'd buy it again except I'd probably go with the 10". Cost for the 8" was a couple hundred dollars.

Things learned. 1. Don't plan on getting the gel memory back in the box if you want to send it back. 2. A couple weeks into the trip, price on Amazon dropped by 20+ dollars and the only remedy they offered by phone was to send it back & repurchase (kinda dumb and see #1). Also looks to be on backorder now. 3. The gel memory is quite a bit heavier than the stock mattress, but not a factor for us as we don't regularly raise the platform. 4. The original bedspread has curved ends where the gel memory is square, again not a factor.

At first, I was concerned because the gel memory measured 1" longer in length than our stock mattress, however there appears to be no disqualifying conflict on bringing the bedroom slide in. It came with a cover which is nice and we did not experience any of the conditions mentioned in some negative reviews.

IMHO it is a keeper and definity more comfortable than what came with the MH. Good luck!
75H is offline   Reply With Quote