Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #1

Mice - 1st time in 22 years!

I picked up my 22FB today from storage. I am always diligent in checking for any holes, and sealing up all the openings - fridge, water heater, furnace etc with plastic prior to storing, and putting dryer sheets in the trailer.

I have been doing this for 22 years, and have never had mice until this year.

I knew they had to get in somewhere. I have had this 22FB for five years so I guess up to now I've been lucky.

I checked all underneath and all around and couldn't see any holes.

The mouse poop was mostly under the sink and in the drawers, so I figured they got in there somehow.

There is a panel to the left of the door under the sink, held on with 3 screws. It is a partition to the area where the power box is. I removed the panel, and lo and behold - Jayco had drilled an at least 4" diameter hole right through the floor for the fresh water fill, leaving plenty of space for our little friends to just scamper right in.

What are they thinking when they leave holes this size unfilled and hidden???

Needless to say, the hole is now sealed, along with a few other little gaps along the back where the city water etc come in.

So, maybe you all want to take off a few of those panels and check.

-2013 F150 4x2 SuperCab 3.5EB
-2011 Jay Flight 22FB (SOLD)
Upuaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

It's not uncommon for camper manufacturers, not just Jayco, to drill holes to run pipes, electric wires, etc way bigger than needed. Consider yourself lucky the mice didn't find the big hole 21 years ago.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

Well, that was a great find. It looks like a major access point for all kinds of critters to enter. It's comparable to a major interstate on ramp! Thanks for the tip.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Team

That's exactly what I found in our 19RD during the PDI back in 2012. The "guy" said it wasn't any problem, since Jayco squirted some spray foam on top of the FW tank where the hole was. I asked him to seal it up with some of that super duper black tape they use on the fabric underneath. He did that, and no critters. That was one of four very minor issues that we found. All of them fixed before we left with it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote