Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #1

Mice

I know this has been discussed previously but I'm short on time This weekend we were prepping our rig for a week long trip at Fort Wilderness when we discovered mouse droppings, mostly under the kitchen sink cabinet. I'm only aware of one previous rodent incident when the trailer was on shore power and I had neglected to secure the cord access door.
Besides traps, my plan is to use Great Stuff in any thru-floor fittings that I can see which include two below the sink. I don't know if they are are staying in the trailer or making food runs from the adjacent shop when it's parked under shelter at home.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
TAK14Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #2

The little buggers will dig through the great stuff. Stuffing some steel wool in any openings will stop them. The steel wool hurts to try and dig through, so they don’t.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #3

Make sure you have no place within 3-4 feet of the trailer for them to hide, no brush or grass. They don't like to be out in the open exposed to predators.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK14Swift View Post
I know this has been discussed previously but I'm short on time This weekend we were prepping our rig for a week long trip at Fort Wilderness when we discovered mouse droppings, mostly under the kitchen sink cabinet. I'm only aware of one previous rodent incident when the trailer was on shore power and I had neglected to secure the cord access door.
Besides traps, my plan is to use Great Stuff in any thru-floor fittings that I can see which include two below the sink. I don't know if they are are staying in the trailer or making food runs from the adjacent shop when it's parked under shelter at home.
Peppermint essential oil on a cotton ball in cabinets will deter the little buggars and leaves a pleasant smell.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

We had mice a couple of weeks after we bought our TT. So sealed every single access inside and out with Great Stuff Pest Block. Then I tossed Cab Fresh in all the storage compartments and under every cabinet and closet. Third I set real traps under the sinks and in storage as a last resort. We make it a must to clean every scrap of food off and under the stove and wipe everything down. It’s been three years and no mice, Knock on Wood.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
Site Team

The week that we picked up our 2013 EAGLE 284BHS, I went under the TT and used the Great Stuff insulation spray (now comes in GIANT size) totally around the frame/under-body layer. There were places where there was a 1/4" opening. I zig-zagged under the TT looking for any small opening.

Found a 1/2" electrical hole in the front frame cross over, by the black-tank pipe, rear frame cross over. The one that really caught me by surprise was when I lowered the TT's spare (mounted tire under the TT), there was at least a 1/2" hole for the tire cranking cable. I got a blank 4x4" PVC electrical box cover plate drilled a 1/8" hole for the tire cable and mad a small slot the size of the cable so that the cable would slide into the hole. I screwed the plate to the underbelly and caulked the slot.

I also foamed every pipe opening and electrical cable opening in the floor.

Oh, and if you look behind the TT's electrical control panel (with the 110VAC shore-power disconnected) you will see a nice big opening.

Since 2012 we have not encountered any critters inside the TT. Wait, I take that back... the dog brought in a baby frog and put it on bed. After one scream I carried the frog out to the creek to live a long life, I hope.

Any time I poke a hole in the underbelly (coax, CAT5, inverter 110vac cable.... I foam the opening.

I recheck all the openings each spring/fall to make sure the foam is still doing its job. So far the foam has been untouched, as far as I can see when I inspect the underside 2x a year.

and as xboaters said "
Peppermint essential oil on a cotton ball in cabinets will deter the little buggars and leaves a pleasant smell.
"

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
EAGLE - Electrical Wiring Floor Opening.jpg   EAGLE - Water Hose Floor Opening.jpg   FOAM SPRAY - Great Stup with Pestblock.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #7

Those little buggers are a pain! I did the steel wool and Marine silicone caulk. Filled every hole I could from the bottom, then went inside and tried to find the corresponding hole inside and caulked it too.

I also have done the following items; took a Scotch-Brite Copper Scrubbing pad, cut a slit in it for the power cord, and put it inside, and the power cord cover.

I ALWAYS clean the camper after each trip. We keep food in the TT all summer. In the fall, we super scrub the TT clean, and remove all food. Then spread a bunch of sticky traps around the TT.

I have thought about trying Cab Fresh, as I know a number of people who swear by it.

If you use Peppermint, it needs to be the Oil, extract, odor, etc does not work.

I did an experiment in my old house with bird seed storage, and none of the wise tails of Irish Springs Soap, Bounce Laundry sheets, nor a few others worked to keep the mice out of the seed storage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

I have heard about Cab Fresh. Have not heard about Peppermint Oil , Steel wool stuffing or Great Stuff Pest Block. Probably try what I can get.

Thanks all!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I have heard about Cab Fresh. Have not heard about Peppermint Oil , Steel wool stuffing or Great Stuff Pest Block. Probably try what I can get.

Thanks all!

It needs to be PURE Peppermint Oil

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
Peppermint oil.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #10

Exactly what Mustang said he does. Crawl all over, in, and under looking for any opening. Think like a hungry field mouse looking for his next meal! The biggest hole I found was next to the water heater where the tub drain went into the belly. Huge 4-5” hole that I filled with foam.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #11

After several campers and many mice I have gotten into the habit of stuffing each hole with aluminum screen wire cut into strips and then foaming it into place. Inside and outside.

Over winter, Cab Fresh, sticky traps all over and several visits to make sure no incursion.

So far so good, better than the last camper where they ate the drapes, pooped on everything.

Last but also very important. SANATIZE Stove, sink, cabinets. Remove soap, put towels, bedding, etc. in locking lid tubs. NOTHING with any scents like soap, candles, room fresheners that will draw them in. Don't forget paper towels, napkins, toilet paper or other nesting material.

Don't forget to seal the outside openings to the furnace, water heater, electric cable. Past experience, they nested in the refrigerator pink fiberglass blanket.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #12
Site Team

If they can get their head in the hole, the rest will squeeze in. They can get into the tiniest of cracks and crevasses.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #13

So far I’ve used: Great Stuff Pestblock, glue traps,steel wool and 100% peppermint oil. So far no sign of the mice and the trailer smells like a candy cane!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #14

We have used all of the above except peppermint oil. No mice so far but it never hurts to add another.

So how much peppermint oil do you use? How to deploy it. Does it air out after a few days prep time spring??

Also, a good source for a quality oil would be great! I wonder how much of the stuff labeled is actually snake oil with a peppermint additive LOL
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #15
Site Team

snip..." the trailer smells like a candy cane![/QUOTE]

Ha, now that's going to attract Santa Clauses! (And elves).

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #16

Walmart has peppermint essential oil. 1/2 of an eye dropper of oil on a cotton ball lasts quite awhile.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #17

If you tire of the candy cane, go buy a box of Fresh Cab. We've been using it since we first bought our Pop Up. We stored it and now the TT in a shed next to a hay field. Never found so much as a dead bug.
Attached Images

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #18

Quote:
GREAT STUFF is GREAT but will not stop a rodent... I use the great stuff to seal the hole then lay a piece of 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 or 12 x 12 hardware cloth around the hole. using care not to leave any sharps by a wire.
I use the 1/4 square hole hardware cloth .

Next is the BOUNCE drier sheets.... mice dislike the smell so a sheet or 2 at possible entry points and in closed areas keeps them rodent free.
Hangar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #19

If you don't want mice you have to mouse-proof the trailer. Once you get them, nothing will keep them away. Fresh cab, peppermint, ffftt. Everybody has their snake oil, based on their own success. If they got in once, they'll get in again. They love to eat thru great stuff.

Mouse-proofing means seal EVERY opening in the trailer, no matter how small. Not just under it, but the roof as well. Fill the hole with SS Steel wool or copper mesh. Seal it with dicor.

If they got past a hole you missed, you'll need to be double diligent the next time.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #20

I inadvertently found the best mouse trap ever.
After using traps of all sorts one day I filled my toilet just over half full and left the seat up.
I was trying to help a dried out seal but much to my surprise I started catching mice.
I use this method all the time now and a quick flush and the drowned mice are history.
As far as I can figure out they smell the water and go for a drink.

It works! Really does.
Calisdad is offline   Reply With Quote