Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Microwave and TV quit working

I was beginning to watch a DVD in my new travel trailer. We were running the generator. I had run the microwave already. When I turned on the oven both the microwave and the TV lost power and I cannot get the power back to the TV or the microwave.

It appears that the fuses are not blown. I have restarted the generator and I am at a loss.

Please help!

This is our first trip in our new trailer. Everything is going great but this is frustrating.

Thank you.
MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

Apparently I have lost all 110 power to my coach when this event occurred. The generator is still running but I cannot get power from the 110 outlets.

All the fuses are intact and I have tripped all the breakers and then turned them back on.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

The fuses are not going to blow. Breakers will pop. Turn off then back on your breakers in your panel!! If your generator went into over load. It needs to be shut down and then restarted to regain power. What you are going thru is pretty typical for newbies. Welcome to the club
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #4

Don't know what size genny you have but power management is required. Only some of your 120 volt items can be run at the same time. Microwaves and toasters are pulling from 1000 to 1500 watts each. Doesn't take much to overload your generator at that rate.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had put the generator away but after your suggestion I reconnected it and all appliances got power. I was only running a Yamaha 2000 and had left my second Yamaha 2000 at home because I was told I could run everything on one unit and was only going to need the second for the air conditioning. Apparently this was not correct. I am sure if I had both units running running in tandem that I would not have had a problem.

Thank you again for your help!

Mike
Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #6

Your more then welcome!!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMike View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had put the generator away but after your suggestion I reconnected it and all appliances got power. I was only running a Yamaha 2000 and had left my second Yamaha 2000 at home because I was told I could run everything on one unit and was only going to need the second for the air conditioning. Apparently this was not correct. I am sure if I had both units running running in tandem that I would not have had a problem.

Thank you again for your help!

Mike
You can run everything, just not at the same time. Not long ago, we hooked a Honda 2000 up to a trailer (neighbor at the race track back in November) with a 13.5 A/C and it started and ran the A/C. Now he couldn't run anything else but it ran the A/C.

You will have to try different appliances to see what can and can't run at the same time. The microwave will most likely not run with anything else, same for A/C when only using a 2000 watt inverter. Even a standard coffee maker will draw more power than the microwave (Kurig works though).

Like already stated though, restart the generator and make note of what you did. I've shut our trailer down more than a few times...live and learn! :-)

Congrats on the trailer and enjoy!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #8

How awesome this site is; you folks pretty much saved MtnMike's lots of heartache and frustration in just over a half hour. His first outing could have been a disaster.
I'll be sure to have access to the internet on my first trip with my new
Jayco when it comes in.
powhatanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

Along with the suggestion that we spend our first night with a new rig in the driveway (which OP might have done) should be that you also run the generator(s). I never would have thought of doing that.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #10

Sometimes, with a 2000 watt inverter generator, you can't run the microwave if your batteries are more than 20% discharged, as your converter is pulling to many amps to recharge your batteries. Locate the breaker for your converter, turn it off, use the microwave, then turn it back on. Even a 600 watt coffee maker can overload the generator if your batteries are deeply discharged.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

Microwave and TV problems solved!!!!

Wow, I feel I have had a graduate education in electronics! I went to the Jayco dealer to have them check a few minor issues and told them how everyone in the digital world saved my bacon and had us smiling in just minutes.

My appreciation for this forum began with a PDI checklist I had downloaded and carried with me when we received the trailer. http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ight=checklist It was a big help.

Our first outing was a grand success. Thank you everyone!
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #12

Nice to see this place work so well! Thanks to all.
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #13

All of the above is good information.
Great Thread MtnMike
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #14

I have seen a list on the internet for amp draws for all the appliances, lights, and tv's, but I don't dry camp, so I didn't make a bookmark for it. You might call on Google to do a search.
Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote