Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #1

Microwave Failing

I need to replace my microwave.

The microwave on our 2020 X213 has been wonky from day one. I mistakenly attributed this to the fact that we always boondock and I was running it on a 2 KW generator. Wrong. My new home has a 30 amp connection, and for the first time ever, I went to an RV park that has full hookups...a 50 amp service with a 50-to-30 adapter. Getting to the point, the microwave is and always was junk. Among other things, when it's running, it sounds as if the drive mechanism for the turntable has rocks in the differential. It makes a huge racket as if there are clashing gears. It's toast, more than a year old, and we're 6 hours from CW where we bought it.

So I'll ante up for a new one. I just need basic. The most demanding thing we do is pre-cook baked potatoes in the micro, then grill them with the steaks or fish. That's typically a 10 to 12 minute run. That's far too demanding for our current unit...it goes on overload and shuts down for about 5 minutes or so. We typically nuke milk in preparation for steaming with a steam-style espresso machine. In all cases, this micro tends to overload the generator and cause it to trip. All last year, I'd stand next to the generator while my wife ran the micro and be ready to reset it (full shut down and restart).

The micro in my previous camper displayed none of these bad behaviors, and it worked great.

Getting to the point, I would love to hear from those who have replaced microwaves, what did you choose, and how well has it worked?

Amazon carries GreyStone and a few other brands I never heard of. They see well rated. E-Trailer sells them, too. Thoughts?
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #2

What style microwave do you have (I am not familiar with the X213)? In other words, I have been looking as well to replace mine, the one I have has a built in vent hood with lights over the cooktop and hangs from the wall. I am thinking about going with a convection microwave but not sure yet, and mine still works otherwise. In any case, I found online that Lowes has a few that are the same dimensions as mine so you may want to see what they have to offer that can replace yours. ~CA
Old 06-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
What style microwave do you have (I am not familiar with the X213)? In other words, I have been looking as well to replace mine, the one I have has a built in vent hood with lights over the cooktop and hangs from the wall. I am thinking about going with a convection microwave but not sure yet, and mine still works otherwise. In any case, I found online that Lowes has a few that are the same dimensions as mine so you may want to see what they have to offer that can replace yours. ~CA
Mine is basic...we have a vent hood, but it's separate from the micro. The micro is probably a .9 cubic foot running around 900 watts or less.

Since we mostly boondock, we have no interest in a convection micro, because the power draw is likely to be too much for my little 2KW (1500 watts continuous) generator.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #4

I would go with a Panasonic Inverter Microwave. When it’s throttled down to say 50% power, it uses less power but runs the magnetron continuously, where other units cycle the magnetron off and on at full power levels. That way you can run the microwave easier on the generator or an inverter. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote