Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

Microwave Problem

2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27RBOK:
Posted a year ago about this issue but the simple solutions offered garnered no result. Just now have the time to go at it again. Here's the situation so far.

Both the microwave inside and the microwave in the outside kitchen stopped working for no apparent reason. I checked the power outlet and there is no power to either the inside or outside units. There is power to the spare power outlet in the outside kitchen. It would seem that both microwaves are on the same circuit for whatever reason. I checked the circuit breakers and unless the breaker itself is faulty it was in the "On" position and remained there when I switched it off and then on again.

The panel chart is a little unclear. It shows A-B-C-D-E, (E being the microwave) but the breakers themselves are not labeled in anyway. I assume the run left to right A through to E. In any event I tried all the breakers and they all seemed to have not flipped.

So, what could be the cause of no power to the two outlets? Everything else is fine. BTW, I have very limited electrical knowledge.

Thanks kindly for any ideas.
StevePowerTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Team

I would think they are on the same breaker because they would not be both on at the same time but you know what they say about assuming!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePowerTX View Post
The panel chart is a little unclear. It shows A-B-C-D-E, (E being the microwave) but the breakers themselves are not labeled in anyway. I assume the run left to right A through to E. In any event I tried all the breakers and they all seemed to have not flipped.
Did you turn the breaker off and on or just look for one that tripped. They can trip without the lever moving.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #4

Hey Steve. Fellow Austinite.. You say there is no power to the microwave outlets. How did you verify this? Are the microwave outlets accessible? If so, unplug one of the microwaves and plug something else in. Or measure that outlet with a voltmeter. Still no power? Might there be a switch? Or another GFCI outlet? There is a device called a "breaker finder". Available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Plug a transmitter into the dead outlet, then scan breakers with the receiver. It will detect the location of the correct breaker. Good luck.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #5

I used a voltage detector. One of those pen shaped devices that lights up if there's current. Showed current to the other outlets but not the two microwaves.

I did flip the breakers off then on, knowing they can trip without flipping the switch.

There's no GFCI tripped that I can locate.

I'll try the breaker finder mentioned. That at least would verify I have the right breaker, though I did flip them all on and off to be sure.

It does seem like it should be something switched off as opposed to a break or disconnect in the wiring.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:51 AM   #6

Sounds to me like those two outlets are controlled by one GFCI that has either tripped, or gone bad. (Yes, GFCI plugs can, and do, go bad.) By code, GFCI-controlled outlets are required anywhere a plug is subjected to possible water intrusion. And, one GFCI plug will control/protect all outlets that are "down line" of the GFCI outlet. The GFCI outlet that controls the two dead outlets is likely in the bathroom, kitchen or microwave outlet, outside kitchen, or your outside electrical outlet.

If you already know this stuff, please disregard this post. Your previous posts indicated you weren't familiar with electrical problems. There are two buttons between the two outlets on a GFCI receptacle. One button is the TEST button, the other is the RESET button. First, press the TEST button - it should "click" and trip the GFCI circuit, causing the RESET button to protrude. Next, press in on the RESET button. It should press in and stay in to reset the circuit - resupplying current to the two microwave outlets. If the TEST button does not "click" and cause the RESET button to protrude, it is either already tripped, or the GFCI has gone bad. If the RESET button does not press in and stay in, it could be that something plugged into an outlet on the GFCI-controlled line is faulty or has a short in it and needs to be unplugged. It is also possible that either the HOT, NEUTRAL, OR GROUND wire has pulled loose from its connection on the receptacle. If so, with the main power disconnected, reinsert/retighten the affected wire. Reconnect the main power supply, then reset the GFCI receptacle. That should take care of the problem.

However, it is more likely that the GFCI outlet itself has gone bad. You can pick up a replacement at any hardware or Big Box hardware store, and replace it yourself. Just note the location of each colored wire on the old receptacle and/or the instructions on the new receptacle. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you can call an electrician or mobile RV tech. to do it for you.

Hope the lengthy answer has helped.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:06 AM   #7

Just to add to the detail that Brownie provided - a GFCI outlet will not reset without power to it. If you have no voltage and you try to reset the outlet the reset button will not work.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #8

Okay. File under Homer Simpson "Doh!"

In looking to check for a GFCI I discovered on the outside panel just under the kitchen countertop as you come through the door, just above the power outlet with the GCFI, there is a switch, like a wall light switch. This high tech, terribly complicated, device (3 position - who does that?) is labeled "Inside Microwave - OFF- Outside Microwave". It was for some reason in the "Off" position. Flip the switch and magically the microwave has power. Had the TT for five years and never really paid any attention to that switch as I never used it.

I really appreciate the advice offered. I now know a bit more than I did before and have had the great opportunity to humble myself before the RV world. It's always something simple with me that when I discover it I about take my head off palm slapping. I'd be superb in a nuclear power plant.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePowerTX View Post
This high tech, terribly complicated, device (3 position - who does that?) is labeled "Inside Microwave - OFF- Outside Microwave".
That is a common set-up when two high wattage units were on one breaker. Many times it involved water heater and micro.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:03 PM   #10

Steve

Glad you found the problem! Someone probably bumped that switch while cleaning. And don't feel bad - I would have missed it too!
Old 03-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #11

@Brownie: I told my wife how I found the problem. She didn't know it was there either and it's right above the outlet we plug the coffee maker into.