Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
I am kinda' glad I have a shelf above the bed instead of cabinets, cabinets over the bed are always tough to get into, especially the center part. I have 3 fabric storage boxes along the shelf, no lids, they fit the space perfectly, same width as the shelf with about 2 inches play end to end and about 2 or 3 inches to the top. They are the same color as the cabinet wood in my unit and actually look like they belong there right from the start. You can fit a lot of small items in them, when needed just grab it, take out what you need and slide it back onto the shelf. With the front lip on the shelf, they don't fall out during travel either........works great.
Same baskets I use in my 23RLSW.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #22

We like the shelf open on our 212QB and use the baskets which have yet to come off. Finished up our first trip with it all the way out to SD,WY. I as well bought one of those flip up's for next to the sink. We installed a 19" TV on the wall close to the shower wall using a swing out mount so we can watch TV in bed. There is a stud about 12" from the shower wall. I like the idea of the back splashes, will tackle those in the spring., thanks for the idea. We were considering a different mattress however we opted instead for a 4" mattress topper that we placed under the mattress, makes all the difference in the world. Purchased a Inverter generator from etrailer, 3200w start 2900w running which powers the whole unit incl the AC with power to spare.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
We like the shelf open on our 212QB and use the baskets which have yet to come off. Finished up our first trip with it all the way out to SD,WY. I as well bought one of those flip up's for next to the sink. We installed a 19" TV on the wall close to the shower wall using a swing out mount so we can watch TV in bed. There is a stud about 12" from the shower wall. I like the idea of the back splashes, will tackle those in the spring., thanks for the idea. We were considering a different mattress however we opted instead for a 4" mattress topper that we placed under the mattress, makes all the difference in the world. Purchased a Inverter generator from etrailer, 3200w start 2900w running which powers the whole unit incl the AC with power to spare.
I’ve thought about getting an inverter gennie (Costco has the Firman 3200 on sale) but haven’t pulled the trigger. Is your AC 15k btu like ours, or the 13.5k? I think 3200w would start the 15k without a soft start.

We went with a 4” topper, also. Very comfortable.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
Great bunch of mods. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! I just added another — a cheap fix to make the vertical dinette seat backs more comfortable. There’s always something to fix or improve!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picinisco View Post
Great bunch of mods. Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortnSweet View Post
I like the baskets! They look nice. And thank you for saying something about the extra support! I might not have realized it wasn't strong enough already. I'm going to look right now at what else you have done. Thanks you!
We have a Jayco 212 we like the trailer. Big problem we had this last summer. We went on a eight day dry camping trip to a family reunion in the mountains of Idaho. We had can goods in the pantry. When we got to the reunion the shelves in the pantry had broken down to the floor. When we got home I had to rebuild and strengthen the shelves.
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa View Post
We have a Jayco 212 we like the trailer. Big problem we had this last summer. We went on a eight day dry camping trip to a family reunion in the mountains of Idaho. We had can goods in the pantry. When we got to the reunion the shelves in the pantry had broken down to the floor. When we got home I had to rebuild and strengthen the shelves.
Exact same happened to us! The staples through the wall barely hold the shelves. Reinforced them with 1x1s and screws. Shelf over dinette also sagged and was tightened up with reinforcing screws.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #27

13.5 which we found to be more than adequate. The etrailer generator has the outlet for our 212QB 30amp plug plus USB & 12V. After the "break in" period I went to non-ethanol fuel and full synthetic oil.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #28

We had the shelf in our 212 and just used baskets. We now have a 28RLS with cabinet there and I would rather have the shelf. Much easier to get items in and out.
Kevin&Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #29

Wife’s idea

This was my wife’s idea for the shelf. I like it. Extra room for clothes, books, odds and ends.
Attached Thumbnails
F001EDCA-2427-45BE-A1E5-BB5DFB4145A6.jpg  
chabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #30

Looks good! My next project is having my nephew build a small platform off of the bumper(after reinforcing it) on the trailer for my generator.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Funny, we are overjoyed with having the open shelf as opposed to trying to wrestle with opening cabinet doors, which tend to be hinged on the wrong sides. In our 212QBW, we use the shelf for blankets, pillows, sweatshirts etc. But we also picked up a couple of wicker-type baskets at Michael’s that fit the space perfectly. Color even matched. DW uses them for clothing. It would be simple to buy enough to fill the entire space wall to wall. One tip: I put some small countersunk screws in to strengthen the shelf, which can sag if you get too much weight up there. You’ll love your 212QBW. It’s a great rig. Here are some of the other small mods I’ve done if you’re interested: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1625.html
This may be asking a lot, but could you take a picture of how/where you put the countersunk screws in? I'd like to reinforce the shelf as well, but I'm not quite sure what I am doing. Thank you!
ShortnSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #32

The TT is in a storage yard, but next time I’m down there, I’ll try. I’ve found a lot of the shelves need some reinforcement to keep from sagging or falling down altogether.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
The staples through the wall barely hold the shelves. Reinforced them with 1x1s and screws. Shelf over dinette also sagged and was tightened up with reinforcing screws.
I already started to install screws here and there because of the non holding staples.
Last weekend I added some in the thru storage area on the thin panels that were separating.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortnSweet View Post
This may be asking a lot, but could you take a picture of how/where you put the countersunk screws in? I'd like to reinforce the shelf as well, but I'm not quite sure what I am doing. Thank you!
I reinforced the bed shelf with screws into the ends from inside both wardrobes. Photo shows one in the left wardrobe. I also strengthened the wardrobe shelves with smaller screws from the side and up from underneath (photo). I have noticed the bed shelf sagging a tiny bit in the middle (photo) and may try to run a screw up from underneath. However, it appears the bed “shelf” is actually two pieces of thin luan with space between them, so I’m not sure what I’d screw into. Any suggestions are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
41C9EBEE-69F4-4C7B-90D7-A16A1ABA26E0.jpg   FA2A964F-972B-4EB6-ADC3-48D5184364D3.jpg   ECCF9BA4-641E-4841-8F4D-D1177D9EEC3A.jpg  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #35

Can anyone share where they got baskets that fit?
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bandit View Post
Can anyone share where they got baskets that fit?
Ours came from Michael’s craft store. Dark brown wicker.
Attached Thumbnails
FF3BA0BE-A8A4-49B0-93DF-B96968F658F1.jpg  
Old 01-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
I am kinda' glad I have a shelf above the bed instead of cabinets, cabinets over the bed are always tough to get into, especially the center part. I have 3 fabric storage boxes along the shelf, no lids, they fit the space perfectly, same width as the shelf with about 2 inches play end to end and about 2 or 3 inches to the top. They are the same color as the cabinet wood in my unit and actually look like they belong there right from the start. You can fit a lot of small items in them, when needed just grab it, take out what you need and slide it back onto the shelf. With the front lip on the shelf, they don't fall out during travel either........works great.

Think the wife got these at Bed Bath & Beyond.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #38

Still trying to figure out the three cables above the dinette, two RCA jacks, and the HDMI as to what you hook them up to? I assume they would allow the TV or a DVD player to utilize the built in speaker system? Any advice?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #39

Curtains?

Tags
212qbw, enclose, shelf above bed, storage cover