Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Modify Useless Shelf Above Bed - ideas?

Hello!
We are going from a 195RB to a 212QBW. The 195 has a nice closet and an enclosed storage area above the bed. I love the wider 212 and the windows in back, but I am missing that storage. Has anyone modified the storage shelf above the bed to enclose it? Or do you have other solutions so that you can travel with clothes on the shelf? (And maybe not have to look at underwear and shirts sitting on the shelf everyday.) I would love to see/hear your ideas!

I plan on putting some bins under the bed for clothing, but hate to waste that space above the bed.

Thanks!
ShortnSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Site Team

On many trailers that area is a set of cabinets and not a shelf. You could possibly enclose it and add some cabinet doors.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Our dollar store solution was to put appropriately sized baskets on our open shelf. For travel day we use a bungee cord attached to hooks at either end of the shelf opening to stop the baskets from launching.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

Funny, we are overjoyed with having the open shelf as opposed to trying to wrestle with opening cabinet doors, which tend to be hinged on the wrong sides. In our 212QBW, we use the shelf for blankets, pillows, sweatshirts etc. But we also picked up a couple of wicker-type baskets at Michael’s that fit the space perfectly. Color even matched. DW uses them for clothing. It would be simple to buy enough to fill the entire space wall to wall. One tip: I put some small countersunk screws in to strengthen the shelf, which can sag if you get too much weight up there. You’ll love your 212QBW. It’s a great rig. Here are some of the other small mods I’ve done if you’re interested: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1625.html
Attached Thumbnails
AC4A8FC5-03B4-4243-B77C-B786BAA6DB89.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #5

Thank you! Yes, cabinet doors is what we had in our small trailer.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

Good idea! Thank you! I was thinking of a cargo net, but a bungie would work.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Funny, we are overjoyed with having the open shelf as opposed to trying to wrestle with opening cabinet doors, which tend to be hinged on the wrong sides. In our 212QBW, we use the shelf for blankets, pillows, sweatshirts etc. But we also picked up a couple of wicker-type baskets at Michael’s that fit the space perfectly. Color even matched. DW uses them for clothing. It would be simple to buy enough to fill the entire space wall to wall. One tip: I put some small countersunk screws in to strengthen the shelf, which can sag if you get too much weight up there. You’ll love your 212QBW. It’s a great rig. Here are some of the other small mods I’ve done if you’re interested: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1625.html
I like the baskets! They look nice. And thank you for saying something about the extra support! I might not have realized it wasn't strong enough already. I'm going to look right now at what else you have done. Thanks you!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortnSweet View Post
I like the baskets! They look nice. And thank you for saying something about the extra support! I might not have realized it wasn't strong enough already. I'm going to look right now at what else you have done. Thanks you!
Welcome! FWIW, we’ve found the baskets stay in place no problem with the lip on the front of shelf. Have never needed bungees. As for bracing, I also have reinforced the pantry and closet shelves as they are not super sturdy either. Have fun!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Welcome! FWIW, we’ve found the baskets stay in place no problem with the lip on the front of shelf. Have never needed bungees. As for bracing, I also have reinforced the pantry and closet shelves as they are not super sturdy either. Have fun!
Thanks! I looked at your photos and I like your ideas. Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Hello!
We are going from a 195RB to a 212QBW. The 195 has a nice closet and an enclosed storage area above the bed. I love the wider 212 and the windows in back, but I am missing that storage. Has anyone modified the storage shelf above the bed to enclose it? Or do you have other solutions so that you can travel with clothes on the shelf? (And maybe not have to look at underwear and shirts sitting on the shelf everyday.) I would love to see/hear your ideas!

I plan on putting some bins under the bed for clothing, but hate to waste that space above the bed.

Thanks!

I am kinda' glad I have a shelf above the bed instead of cabinets, cabinets over the bed are always tough to get into, especially the center part. I have 3 fabric storage boxes along the shelf, no lids, they fit the space perfectly, same width as the shelf with about 2 inches play end to end and about 2 or 3 inches to the top. They are the same color as the cabinet wood in my unit and actually look like they belong there right from the start. You can fit a lot of small items in them, when needed just grab it, take out what you need and slide it back onto the shelf. With the front lip on the shelf, they don't fall out during travel either........works great.
Attached Thumbnails
fabric-box.jpg   Fabric+Box.jpg  
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #11

What about elastic netting? https://www.amazon.com/MOON-Adjustab...4803414&sr=8-4
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #12

Interesting, our 195RB has an open shelf, for which we are grateful. We often add blankets during the night, and we keep them on that shelf folded only along their length, so they are easy to bring down and spread out in the middle of the night. I think cabinets there would be very awkward to access, but we each have different needs/desires.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

Thanks! I guess baskets are the way to go. I just assumed I'd have a mess to clean up when we stopped driving, but enough of you are saying they don't fall out. Maybe I will like having just a shelf! We haven't actually picked up the trailer yet, so I haven't tried anything.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I thought of that as well. I'm hearing, though, that the baskets don't fall during travel so I'll probably try that first.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #15

Quote:
I thought of that as well. I'm hearing, though, that the baskets don't fall during travel so I'll probably try that first.
If your trailer is bouncing hard enough to dislodge a basket full of clothing, you probably will have bigger problems to deal with once you stop. Just sayin’.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
We did the 195RB to the 212QBW also. According to the DW, she prefers the open shelf..... we've had both, and if she had to make the choice, it's having the open shelf, with lidded fabric storage boxes. Much easier to get at items, just pull the box down. The 195RB does have the closet ...... which we did miss when we went to the 212QBW. I wish Jayco would give u an option on this floor plan to have a closet instead of a shower, opening up with into the bedroom, using a sliding door. To us, the shower is used only for storage.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
We did the 195RB to the 212QBW also. According to the DW, she prefers the open shelf..... we've had both, and if she had to make the choice, it's having the open shelf, with lidded fabric storage boxes. Much easier to get at items, just pull the box down. The 195RB does have the closet ...... which we did miss when we went to the 212QBW. I wish Jayco would give u an option on this floor plan to have a closet instead of a shower, opening up with into the bedroom, using a sliding door. To us, the shower is used only for storage.
We love our shower for showering, but we do stretch a telescoping shower rod over it lengthwise to hang wet towels or, on our last trip, rain soaked coats. Works great as a temporary “closet.” Just twist and take down at shower time.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #18

We put baskets on our shelf and fill them with clothes that don't fit in the closets. They look great and we've never had one fall down during travel.
sirrealone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #19

My wife put some electric candles up there.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #20

Quote:
other small mods I’ve done if you’re interested: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1625.html

Great bunch of mods. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
212qbw, enclose, shelf above bed, storage cover