Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

Mold and Mildew on inside of tent

Hi, I have a Jayco Jayfeather X17Z with fold down beds/tents on the ends. This past winter I closed one end up but did not get it closed as well as I should have. As a result, water got on the bed platform inside. When I discovered it I wiped everything down and thought I had dodged a bullet. Recently I was de-winterizing and noticed mold and mildew on the inside of the tent where there was water before. After reading the manual about cleaning the tent, contacting the dealer and even contacting Oxiclean about a product they may have to kill mold and mildew, I don't have an answer.

Sorry about the long backstory but thought it might be helpful. Has anyone had to deal with killing mold and mildew on the inside of the tent and if so, what did you use?

Thanks,
Mark
margri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #2

Yep, I had to deal with this twice. Once many years ago with a pop-up camper that was almost new, and a couple of years ago when I did exactly what you did, expect between trips.

Everyone will tell you NOT to do what I did, but this is what was recommended by the dealer when one of our tend ends got moldy on our pop-up.

Put a little bleach, may 1/4-1/2 cup in a big bucket of hot water. Fill another bucket with hot water. Use two soft towels that you no longer need. Soak one in the bleach water, ring most of it out. Soak the rest into the canvas where the mold is and lightly scrub. Do this a couple of times until the mold is gone. Then soak it to no end with the plain water. Soak it again. Take a third towel and soak as much residual water as possible. Let it dry thoroughly.

Get a can of CampDry and respray the waterproofing. If the seams had to be soaked reseal them with seam sealer.

In both cases this destroyed the mold and we never had another issue. In the pop-up there was still some slight staining. In our HTT the stains disappeared instantly.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #3

Thanks Chuck, I heard the same thing from Camping World tech support but the dealer said it was the wrong thing to do. I have ordered a product from Amazon called IOSSO. It is manufactured by, I believe, Seattle Fabrics. It is a biodegradable cleaner and since I will have to be lying on my back to clean the tent this is my first choice.

I appreciate the advice and will post how the IOSSO works. If not I will go with the bleach formula.
margri1 is offline   Reply With Quote