Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
You drive like me. Nice and relaxed!
60mph is the fastest i go with the trailer, on the highway i usually go at least 5 under for safety reason, i got my family with me. I work in the oil industry so safety is first so i keep the same mind set when i travel with the trailer.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
When I mentioned to someone that I was gearing down on long steep downgrades (to avoid using my brakes too much) his comment was "brakes are cheaper than a new transmission". ??? I'm interested in what you guys have to think about that. I guess my main concern is always worrying that suddenly the brakes won't be there! When I gear down I immediately feel a little less stressed. (I drive a 1999 F250 diesel and pull a 26.5 5th - 213K miles and still runs like a champ - hope I didn't just jinx myself!).
Allowing the engine and trans to help slow the vehicle down is actually a good idea, as long as you don't allow a steep slope to over-rev the drivetrain. Depending upon the slope, it may be too steep for the drivetrain alone, and you may need to add a little braking once in a while. With a diesel, you can add an exhaust brake if you like, which will help. I never had one in my Chevy Silverado Duramax. My current Seneca does have an exhaust brake, and the previous owner used it religiously. It does save the brakes, which can get very hot on long steep downhills. The best practice in the mountains with a heavy rig is not to get in a hurry. Just take your time and keep an eye on those temp gauges on the up hills.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #33

Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
When I mentioned to someone that I was gearing down on long steep downgrades (to avoid using my brakes too much) his comment was "brakes are cheaper than a new transmission". ??? I'm interested in what you guys have to think about that.

Nonsense! That person needs to stay a flatlander driver. Have you seen emergency pull-offs for semi trucks? They are there for drivers who rode their brakes too long. Not long ago a couple from Kansas lost their lives driving down Pikes Peak Hwy because they let their brakes overheat. We have used 2nd gear in all of our vehicles on several sections of the road from the house to the highway, five miles, for decades and never had a hint of transmission trouble. Did I say "nonsense?"
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #34

there are signs coming off the top of Mt Washington that say use low gear. And there are turnouts with water. Primarily for overheating but also for letting the brakes cool The descent is about 4500 feet over 8 miles.

I use low gear here also for control in winter. Braking on snow and ice is a bad idea and we have geared down for years so we do not have to brake as much.

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote