Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I learned ('old school'?) that, when going down hill, the proper way to brake was to brake moderately so your speed drops and then release the brakes completely, not ride them. This allows the brakes to cool bit.....
The newer model Ford trucks have a transmission setting called Tow/Haul mode. It is great... it takes the guessing out of the manual sifting of the automatic transmission.. it down-shifts and up-shifts as demanded by the current environment you are in. I just watch the gauges (which have never moved, even in the mountains) and let the truck do what it is programmed to do). I am constantly checking to see if the Tow/Haul mode icon is lit up.. just a safety measure. I believe all the manufactures have this feature. I wonder if GM is going to put their new 10 Speed automatic trans in their trucks in the future?

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #22

This may have been covered. I didn't read all the posts. But on the long pulls you'll want to use lower gears to keep your RPMs up so you don't overheat the transmission. Also, your TV will lose 3% or more of its hp for every thousand feet above sea level. So at 9000', where we live, our gassers are down around 30%. If your Toy has gauges, watch them. If it just has idiot lights, if they are anything like what I've had over the years, you are already very close to trouble before they'll light up. Have a safe trip and enjoy our beautiful state.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
This may have been covered. I didn't read all the posts. But on the long pulls you'll want to use lower gears to keep your RPMs up so you don't overheat the transmission. Also, your TV will lose 3% or more of its hp for every thousand feet above sea level. So at 9000', where we live, our gassers are down around 30%. If your Toy has gauges, watch them. If it just has idiot lights, if they are anything like what I've had over the years, you are already very close to trouble before they'll light up. Have a safe trip and enjoy our beautiful state.
I do that religiously, i try to do a mirror check and gauge check every 5 to 10 min, we will be going to royal gorge koa i know its near colorado spring and pikes peak, maybe yall around that area or been there knows the grades
Old 03-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanrebel View Post
I do that religiously, i try to do a mirror check and gauge check every 5 to 10 min, we will be going to royal gorge koa i know its near colorado spring and pikes peak, maybe yall around that area or been there knows the grades
Our RV club has stayed there. It's clean, a bit too sterile for my taste, but a good choice for the area. As for grades, if you come into Colorado on I-25 from New Mexico there really isn't much to worry about. Raton Pass is the only pull I can think of, and it's hardly difficult.

We live about 50 miles north of that KOA and take Hwy. 9 right across the road (US 50) from it. Now that has a grade. A guess, four or five miles of maybe 6% that will give my old F350's transmission trouble on a hot day if I'd get careless. But I wouldn't let that happen.

Caņon City has good scenery and quite a few things to do. I'd say it's major industry has to be the prison industry. I believe there are 13 of them in Florence and Penrose, just a few miles to the east. But on the west side of town is the Old Max, now a medium security I believe. Built in 1871, I find it fascinating. Try to spend an hour or so in the museum attached to it. I believe it was formerly the women's prison. I've worked a day or so in the Supermax in Penrose as well as the state penitentiary, Colorado's maximum security prison, in Florence and several of the others in those two complexes. But the one I really wanted to get into is that Old Max, but never made it before retiring.

There were a couple of train rides worth taking in the Royal Gorge area. I don't know if the small one survived the fire. We really enjoyed that one. Have a great time here in Colorado and let us know how the trip went.
'14 Denali XL
Old 03-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #25

Were gonna try and make it to Amarillo the first day, kinda taking the scenic route through Texas, so we will be coming up US-50.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #26

50 from the west will bring you over Monarch Pass, a little more fun.
'14 Denali XL
Old 03-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #27

Drive with confidence. Follow the speed on the signs for entering a corner if the recommended speed is 30 mph slow to that cars can go quicker but I find the recommended speed to be pretty accurate. I do prefer towing mountains with my current truck vs. my previous F150.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #28

Smile

I also use the emergency flashers going up and down hills, If I am not going fast enough for you, (Just go around) I am not in that big of hurry!
Attached Thumbnails
camping aug 2015 6.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #29

Monarch Pass is beautiful but you will run into 7% grades and lots of turns. Go slow and be safe, enjoy the great views!
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie oakly View Post
I also use the emergency flashers going up and down hills, If I am not going fast enough for you, (Just go around) I am not in that big of hurry!
You drive like me. Nice and relaxed!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
You drive like me. Nice and relaxed!
60mph is the fastest i go with the trailer, on the highway i usually go at least 5 under for safety reason, i got my family with me. I work in the oil industry so safety is first so i keep the same mind set when i travel with the trailer.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
When I mentioned to someone that I was gearing down on long steep downgrades (to avoid using my brakes too much) his comment was "brakes are cheaper than a new transmission". ??? I'm interested in what you guys have to think about that. I guess my main concern is always worrying that suddenly the brakes won't be there! When I gear down I immediately feel a little less stressed. (I drive a 1999 F250 diesel and pull a 26.5 5th - 213K miles and still runs like a champ - hope I didn't just jinx myself!).
Allowing the engine and trans to help slow the vehicle down is actually a good idea, as long as you don't allow a steep slope to over-rev the drivetrain. Depending upon the slope, it may be too steep for the drivetrain alone, and you may need to add a little braking once in a while. With a diesel, you can add an exhaust brake if you like, which will help. I never had one in my Chevy Silverado Duramax. My current Seneca does have an exhaust brake, and the previous owner used it religiously. It does save the brakes, which can get very hot on long steep downhills. The best practice in the mountains with a heavy rig is not to get in a hurry. Just take your time and keep an eye on those temp gauges on the up hills.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #33

Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
When I mentioned to someone that I was gearing down on long steep downgrades (to avoid using my brakes too much) his comment was "brakes are cheaper than a new transmission". ??? I'm interested in what you guys have to think about that.

Nonsense! That person needs to stay a flatlander driver. Have you seen emergency pull-offs for semi trucks? They are there for drivers who rode their brakes too long. Not long ago a couple from Kansas lost their lives driving down Pikes Peak Hwy because they let their brakes overheat. We have used 2nd gear in all of our vehicles on several sections of the road from the house to the highway, five miles, for decades and never had a hint of transmission trouble. Did I say "nonsense?"
'14 Denali XL
Old 03-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #34

there are signs coming off the top of Mt Washington that say use low gear. And there are turnouts with water. Primarily for overheating but also for letting the brakes cool The descent is about 4500 feet over 8 miles.

I use low gear here also for control in winter. Braking on snow and ice is a bad idea and we have geared down for years so we do not have to brake as much.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote