Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Mounting a television

I am going to be mounting a tv right where it says to on the wall but what I want to know is should my screws go all the way thru the interior wall with a nut on the other side or just screw in the wall?
geerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:42 AM   #2

Here is a pic of our bracket. I faced the same dilemma. My first thought was to just be safe, drill all the way through the wall and have nuts on the other side. But I decided to try lag screws first. My bracket had three holes, so that was extra insurance vs only 2. I used stud finder to make sure where backer board was, and also measured to make sure where bracket needed to be sotv would fit as high as possible. I measured for depth very carefully and took bracket with me to hardware store so I could get biggest lag screws possible that would fit bracket holes and not go through the wall. I used lock washers and drilled small pilot holes too. It works well. We do take tv down and put it on bed during travel. Probably more than you need, but it's my best project on the TT so far.
Attached Thumbnails
20150327_145048.jpg  
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #3

x2 on using a stud finder to locate exact position and size of backing plate. Mine was almost 6" lower than the sticker on my bedroom wall. Also x2 on the lag screws vs. bolts & nuts.

I also screwed one of those Velcro cord wraps to the wall, and wrap it around the arm during travel. Has held the TV in place for 2 years, now.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk2765 View Post
Here is a pic of our bracket. I faced the same dilemma. My first thought was to just be safe, drill all the way through the wall and have nuts on the other side. But I decided to try lag screws first. My bracket had three holes, so that was extra insurance vs only 2. I used stud finder to make sure where backer board was, and also measured to make sure where bracket needed to be sotv would fit as high as possible. I measured for depth very carefully and took bracket with me to hardware store so I could get biggest lag screws possible that would fit bracket holes and not go through the wall. I used lock washers and drilled small pilot holes too. It works well. We do take tv down and put it on bed during travel. Probably more than you need, but it's my best project on the TT so far.
Hey good job on TV bracket mount. Looks like a quality one.What brand Bracket is it and where did you purchase it?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

I'm not a fan of just using screws. I like the security of some kind of nut on the back side. I guess if you're going to dismount the TV every time you tow then screws would be fine but that seems like more effort than I'm willing to expend every time I go somewhere.

I would think using good sized molly screws would be sufficient without having to gain access to the inside of the wall. If access is not a problem I'd just use bolts with nuts and good sized fender washers.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

Not sure what your TT is or size of Television, on our TT found that the base area on the wall would not work with the 32" LED we have - really didn't want a smaller television. I built a fold up shelf with support on both sides of the wall, only issues is not having the television on the shelf while traveling and not a lot of room for sitting on that side of dinette while shelf in use (but I have sat there okay). The shelf supports the television and Blue Ray player nicely and allows access to wall cabinet and radio and doesn't block any of the hallway. The back side has a support board also that is used for mounting a small electric fan now for the lower double bunk, think I'll build another shelf there also for items that can be stowed for person in the bunk (me mostly).

Larry J
2015 264BHW SLX
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #7

We got the bracket from Amazon. It's by EZ Mounts. ..here's the link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LZ...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have to take TV down, but I just don't like the idea of it bouncing around--it's also one from our bedroom at home. ..we're budget conscious.

Our TV is a 26" and it's plenty large for a 26' TT.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #9

Yeah, Amazon has like a zillion different TV mounts.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #10

I need to get one for the bedroom of my 38fdds. The dealer told me to drop it off and they'd install it for me. I think I'm going to go with about a 26" also.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #11

I found that I was not able to get the bracket mounted on the wall and have it open correctly so I had to make a modification. I added a 2x4 to the wall where the studs were and then I had enough space to mount the TV bracket o the 2x4. If I sell the trailer I will either leave the TV or the whole TV mount.
khmacy is offline   Reply With Quote