Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #1

Mounting a television

So our new TT came with just about everything but the TV and the mount. There is a predetermined spot on the wall where we're going to put it but I wanted to see what kind of mounts other people used before I just started drilling into the wall. Any suggestions? I'm thinking a 24 inch tv is plenty big and will not weigh very much. Also, what kind of screws did others use? Wood? Self tapping? I'm just trying to get everything squared away before the first trip in two weeks!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #2

I went with a 22" and two mounts married together. One is an articulating type mount to make viewing easier at different angles and the other is a slip-in mount that makes removal of the TV for travel really easy. Here are the two parts if you're interested:

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Arti...656c7064757-20

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Moni...387766&sr=8-32

Not the best pictures but you probably get the idea.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #3

I mounted a 22" in the bedroom. It too had a spot marked out for the tv. I used small bolts. I bolted it though the wall to the other side and hung a picture on the other side to hide the bolt heads.
Cfd225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #4

Thanks to both of y'all for the ideas! Quahog, thanks for the pictures and the links. The articulating arm seems like a must, I'll be buying one like that. Cfd, if our bedroom was a little larger then the bolt idea would work perfect and I'd probably never have to worry about it coming loose, but our trailer is so small were only going to have the one tv by the couch. Thank u both for the info.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Site Team

I put in the same setup as Quahog in the bedroom, with his helpful advice.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

BTW, I just used some small lag bolts and went into the studs in the walls. It's plenty secure enough to hold TVs of the 20-26" size. My 22" only weighs about 8 lbs.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
BTW, I just used some small lag bolts and went into the studs in the walls. It's plenty secure enough to hold TVs of the 20-26" size. My 22" only weighs about 8 lbs.
I'm assuming that the pre-marked spot on the wall for the TV has studs directly behind it? I like the quick release mount to take the tv down while towing.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #8

Yes and some even have a larger wood block fastened to the studs.

You can send an email to service@jayco.com and ask them to provide the framing layout for your TT. Make sure to send your VIN and they're pretty quick about replying with the info requested.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #9

My Jayco came with a 22in tv mounted in the face of one of the cabinet doors and all the wires inside the cabinet but also came with a predetermined wall mount spot. I called Jayco and for my 23k they recommended keeping it all under 12lbs. total and said the wall had extra support framing to accomodate the weight. They said any mount of my choosing would suffice(bolt pattern etc). Walmart.com has some really cheaper priced ones with good quality. I have 5 led/lcd tv's in my house from 55" down to 22" all wall mounted and Planet 3 makes a great mount(for 13"to37" tv's) for $20 but currently out of stock online. Articulating arms are great just push back against wall before traveling.
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahflip View Post
My Jayco came with a 22in tv mounted in the face of one of the cabinet doors and all the wires inside the cabinet but also came with a predetermined wall mount spot. I called Jayco and for my 23k they recommended keeping it all under 12lbs. total and said the wall had extra support framing to accomodate the weight. They said any mount of my choosing would suffice(bolt pattern etc). Walmart.com has some really cheaper priced ones with good quality. I have 5 led/lcd tv's in my house from 55" down to 22" all wall mounted and Planet 3 makes a great mount(for 13"to37" tv's) for $20 but currently out of stock online. Articulating arms are great just push back against wall before traveling.
Thank you for all the info!i found a 22 inch that weighs 10 lbs that I'll be using in the TT.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #11

Quahog knows what is up! I used the mounts he suggested and and will be doing the quick releases he uses soon.

My only suggestion is 'measure twice cut once...' The Jayco plans I had for my interior wall were not correct. So I drilled some very small holes to make sure I hit the studs I needed to.

Good luck!
aSLOdonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #12

Forgot to mention that some wall mounts like the Planet 3(if you can find model) brand I posted about have a wall mount bracket that you mount to the wall and then the articulating arm mounted to tv slides into the channel of the bracket and gravity holds in place(also optional allen wrench bolt to make permanent). So if you don't want on wall while traveling just lift and remove(won't have to combine two types of mounts). Arm goes with tv, bracket stays on wall. It also has a screw knob behind tv that controls the up and down angle adjustment of the tv. FYI Check to see if the tv you purchased is VESA pattern compliant(mounting bolt pattern on back of tv to mate w/tv wall mount plate pattern), most are now a days but some are not. That will help in matching tv to wall mount and vice versa Good luck
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahflip View Post
Forgot to mention that some wall mounts like the Planet 3(if you can find model) brand I posted about have a wall mount bracket that you mount to the wall and then the articulating arm mounted to tv slides into the channel of the bracket and gravity holds in place(also optional allen wrench bolt to make permanent). So if you don't want on wall while traveling just lift and remove(won't have to combine two types of mounts). Arm goes with tv, bracket stays on wall. It also has a screw knob behind tv that controls the up and down angle adjustment of the tv. FYI Check to see if the tv you purchased is VESA pattern compliant(mounting bolt pattern on back of tv to mate w/tv wall mount plate pattern), most are now a days but some are not. That will help in matching tv to wall mount and vice versa Good luck
I'll make sure the TV can be mounted before I buy. Hopefully this weekend Ill make the time to buy the tv and get it put up. I've been pretty happy with most of the prices on the tv's that are about 24 inches. The last time I bought a flat screen about 4-5 years ago they were much more expensive!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSLOdonat View Post
Quahog knows what is up! I used the mounts he suggested and and will be doing the quick releases he uses soon.

My only suggestion is 'measure twice cut once...' The Jayco plans I had for my interior wall were not correct. So I drilled some very small holes to make sure I hit the studs I needed to.

Good luck!
I'll also keep in mind the length of the screws I use to put up the mount! I was talking to the parts guy at our local jayco dealer and he recently saw a trailer where the owner used screws about an inch too long....yikes
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #15

I plan to mount my TV in the bedroom area on the wardrobe wall. The wall isn't thick enough I'm sure so I'll use a piece of plywood on the inside wall to keep it secure. Since it's inside you'll never see it unless you open the wardrobe door. I guess I could even attempt to stain to match the wall so it's even less noticeable.
jdomke1 is offline   Reply With Quote