Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

mounting tv brackets to flimsy cardboard wall

on my jayco jayflight...where the sticker says "mount tv bracket here" on the bedroom side of the wall...seems awfully flimsy to hold tv

want to mount tv on bedroom side and another on the living room side...like many of the jaycos at the rv show had

anyone know the weight restrictions or recommended brackets???
scottraycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #2

I would lightly tap on the wall around the TV MOUNT STICKER. It should be a more substantial mounting place. Hopefully there is a sold piece of metal of thicker board behind the cardboard wall you see on the outside.

If not then do like others do and mount a solid piece of 3/4-1 inch board across the wall on the outside and then screw your TV mounts to it.. Something like this GOOGLE PHOTOS

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

I had an issue with my mounting location too. The sticker was not where there was solid wood behind it. I looked where the small staples that hold the paneling to the framing where and used that stud for my mounting bolts. I did go to hardware store and got some shorter bolts so they didn't go through the outside wall.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottraycraft View Post
on my jayco jayflight...where the sticker says "mount tv bracket here" on the bedroom side of the wall...seems awfully flimsy to hold tv

want to mount tv on bedroom side and another on the living room side...like many of the jaycos at the rv show had

anyone know the weight restrictions or recommended brackets???
Call Jayco Customer service and ask them what size plywood is inside the wall. I just did this to our TT a couple of weeks ago. Turns out the backer on ours was 14"x14". Have your VIN# handy.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

I couldn't find the mounting area. Didn't believe sticker location. Called Jayco & got blueprints. Measured, based on diagram, found backing board. Installation worked out good. Good that I had blueprint, sticker wrong.
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I would lightly tap on the wall around the TV MOUNT STICKER. It should be a more substantial mounting place. Hopefully there is a sold piece of metal of thicker board behind the cardboard wall you see on the outside.

If not then do like others do and mount a solid piece of 3/4-1 inch board across the wall on the outside and then screw your TV mounts to it.. Something like this GOOGLE PHOTOS

Roy Ken
I did something along these lines. I had two sliding doors in bedroom in front of the bed (foot). right where I wanted a tv. I built a wall out of 3/4" veneered plywood in front of the sliding doors to basicly turn them into a pocket door. Then I had a solid place to mount a tv. The width I had was about two feet, but I wanted a bigger tv so I bought an articulating mount and instaed of the four mounting bolts I welded on 1/2" bolt in the middle to make the tv pivot and now I can store it vertically against the wall without blocking the doorways. I was able to fit a 42" tv that way. I'm going to post some pics when I get a chance
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #7

I ordered a bracket that had 3 mounting screw holes vs 2, for extra holding power. Then I used a stud finder to make sure on location of backing plate. I then drilled tiny pilot holes and used hand ratchet to screw in the 5/8" lag screws. For good measure, I was prepared to go ahead and drill through the wall and use 1 & 1/2" bolts if need be. Also, I don't leave the TV on bracket during travel.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk2765 View Post
I ordered a bracket that had 3 mounting screw holes vs 2, for extra holding power. Then I used a stud finder to make sure on location of backing plate. I then drilled tiny pilot holes and used hand ratchet to screw in the 5/8" lag screws. For good measure, I was prepared to go ahead and drill through the wall and use 1 & 1/2" bolts if need be. Also, I don't leave the TV on bracket during travel.
That's a good point. And of course I wont leave it on when in storage either.
I plan on putting a tv on both sides of this wall...one on the bedroom side (has built in dvd player) and the other on the living room side, this one will have an external small DVD player that fits in the little compartment.

So as long as I stagger the mounting a bit so the screws don't hit LOL I should be fine.
scottraycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #9

In the bedroom, my TT had no sticker so CW told me where it is. As I probed, it wasn't where they said so I used my stud finder to locate the nearest stud. Checked it about a million times before I drilled in to mount the bracket. Got it in the stud (3 screws) and it's very stout, although I do remove the TV when traveling. Good luck.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #10

I like the idea of RoyBraddy, a supporting board. The 264BHS area noted is too small for the 32" we bring and probably too heavy also with normal bracket. The board and a pivoting bracket should be a good answer. Now to find a bracket that pivots out and down(?)

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #11

I, too, discovered there was no wall stud beneath that sticker. I took the sticker off and mounted the TV bracket to a wall stud. It is very solid and should not be a problem. But I only mounted a 15" LED TV in there (already has a 40" LED TV in the living area). If I were going to mount a bracket holding anything larger, I think I'd first mount a nice trim board across several studs first (like in the preceding photo - nice job!) and then mount the bracket to the board.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote