Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #1

mounting TV on Jayflight SLX 154BH

Has anyone mount TV on the area above the cabinet (see attached picture) ?

My coach is in long term parking so I can't have the measurement.
My questions are:
1. I have seen a nice 24 inch TV in black friday, and planning to buy it, and mount it above the cabinet there. Will 24 inch TV fit on the little wall area there ?

2. Do we need to find a stud on the wall like when we are at home, to find strong spot to drill the screw at ? Or anywhere on the wall is strong enough ?

3. I don't remember the thickness of the wall there. Will the screw pierce all the way to the bunk bed area. I just don't want a sharp protruding screw on the upper bunk bed area there.
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

I don't see an attached picture.

You should definitely look for a stud. RV walls are not strong enough to support the weight of even the smallest television. Be careful with the length of the screws you use.

Another option would be to use short bolts right through the stud with a small steel plates on both sides of wall to protect the wall finish. Excess bolt protruding through the plate/nut could be trimmed with a hack saw and filed smooth.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

Woops sorry, here is the attachment
Attached Thumbnails
mounttv.jpg  
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

I see. Yet, another option could be to secure the TV base to the shelf top, or...
If you don't have kids running around, you could also just place the TV on the shelf when camping and disconnect and throw on a bunk when traveling. That is assuming the shelf is deep enough to accommodate the TV base. Just my ideas..
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

The wall probably is not strong enough to hold a TV bracket. The top of the cabinet is your next best option. Ours is on top our fridge. Without removing the fridge there was no way we could mount the bracket. The shelf has the same tip of overhang yours does so I used my portable bracket that I used in my previous trailer (that had a folding TV shelf). I just leave it permanently mounted now. The bracket, not the TV. It easily detaches with a thumbscrew. I got the bracket from Mono Price. Good prices, excellent quality, and mounting systems for any kind of situation you can come up with. You will be able to find a nice bracket that you can bolt on to the shelf.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #6

I don't have acess to my 154bh, but if I remember, we bought a 22 or 24 inch, and there is still a bit of room on the sides. we didn't mount it to the wall, the wall is about an inch thick, and there is no studs on the wall where you would want to install it. you would have to add a piece that braces onto the top and the bottom to install a wall mount. too much trouble for me ;-)
Old 11-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane View Post
I don't have acess to my 154bh, but if I remember, we bought a 22 or 24 inch, and there is still a bit of room on the sides. we didn't mount it to the wall, the wall is about an inch thick, and there is no studs on the wall where you would want to install it. you would have to add a piece that braces onto the top and the bottom to install a wall mount. too much trouble for me ;-)
I checked the bill for the TV, it's actually a 28"!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:16 AM   #8

Was thinking of getting one of those roof mount dvd tv combos that you would normally buy for a car and just mount under kitchen cabinets. They run off 12v too so you could run off the 12v system. Any thoughts?
Chuckwagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #9

When we had the 154BH we just set LG blue ray DVD player and TV on that shelf, was a 32" LED 1080P Panasonic, had about 1/2" to spare at ceiling. But no worry about tipping off as would hit the ceiling light close by. Had to remove when traveling...
Nothing like a "quality" LED TV and Blue ray player....

Larry J
2015 SLX 264bhw
Prior 2013 SLX 154BH
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #10

Another member suggest this product which I am going to look at

KeBloc Products - LW Engineering
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #11

Hi, I have the identical camper, which I bought used, which has an adjustable TV mount on the wall above the top of the cabinet. When camping (but not while towing) I attach a 24", 8 pound led tv and it is very secure. I don't know whether the previous owner or dealer attached the mount, but there are no bolts going through the wall into the bunk. Sorry but I don't have a pic to attach and there isn't any brand or model number on the mount to offer.
JayX3 is offline   Reply With Quote