Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

Moving AC controls to wall?

My wife cannot reach the overhead AC controls in our 265RLSW. We knew it when we purchased it. I've considered cutting a short stick with a notch in the end so she can reach up and turn them but she would not be able to really see what she is turning. I haven't taken the inside cover off yet but, has anyone attempted to move the controls for the AC to a wall panel control setup? There are two knobs (fan high/low, cool low/high and a temp knob). I'm assuming there are electrical connections for each that I could rewire and move the knobs to the wall. Just wondering if anyone has tried before. She of course gets the 51% vote on the AC setting so she needs to be able to adjust it. I do plan to put in a digital furnace thermostat. That seems very straightforward since it is already on the wall.

Also, will be adding an off off switch to the bedroom overhead light. Seems obvious to me that a wall switch for the bedroom light would be standard issue. My wife is 5'2" and cannot reach it. There is one in the bathroom but not the bedroom.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

I have a friend who has similiar a/c controls mounted on the unit itself, and he is interested in changing the controls to a more user friendly wall mount. I look forward to any and all replies, so I can pass the info along. Thanks for posting the question.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #3

You need to buy a new control box for inside the a/c, a thermostat and thermostat wire. Probably close to $150 +/-. The thermostat would cover both a/c and heat. Your current a/c controls are all 120 volt, the new box changes it to 12 volt which switches the 120 on/off.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You need to buy a new control box for inside the a/c, a thermostat and thermostat wire. Probably close to $150 +/-. The thermostat would cover both a/c and heat. Your current a/c controls are all 120 volt, the new box changes it to 12 volt which switches the 120 on/off.
This is the easy way to do it. I have a Coleman Mach 3 in my 26BH, and I converted it to use a regular house-style digital thermostat (I hate hearing the fan run when the unit isn't cooling). The conversion box is available for my unit, but I never purchased one - I rewired it myself with solid-state relays. It's not something I would recommend someone do themselves unless they have a very good understanding of high and low voltage electrical systems.

For me, the hardest part was fishing the control wire from the thermostat to the A/C unit.

It's an order of magnitude better for sure - you have much finer control over the actual temperature in the trailer, and with my conversion, I can control either heat or cooling with the flick of a switch.
JoeCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

Funny you should post this. I have converted my A/C to the wall where the heat thermostat is located. (can't stand the fan continuously running without compressor being on) Used a Coleman A/C & Heat digital t-stat and conversion kit. There is a conversion kit available but in addition to that you will need T-stat wire, connectors, analog or digital t-stat, and a means to get the wire to the desired location. Having been in electronics for 30 years myself, it was fairly simple. May void your warranty though.

I bought all my parts from American RV Company but sure you can get them elsewhere. They were very helpful in getting the correct part numbers for my unit. All I need now is a return grille with easy-to-change filter.

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

Cheaper alternative: step ladder

Sorry..couldn't resist.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehound View Post
Funny you should post this. I have converted my A/C to the wall where the heat thermostat is located. (can't stand the fan continuously running without compressor being on) Used a Coleman A/C & Heat digital t-stat and conversion kit. There is a conversion kit available but in addition to that you will need T-stat wire, connectors, analog or digital t-stat, and a means to get the wire to the desired location. Having been in electronics for 30 years myself, it was fairly simple. May void your warranty though.

I bought all my parts from American RV Company but sure you can get them elsewhere. They were very helpful in getting the correct part numbers for my unit. All I need now is a return grille with easy-to-change filter.

You got a part number for the kit?
Treatcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treatcg View Post
You got a part number for the kit?

My A/C is the Coleman Mack III;

Coleman 8330-752 Control Package Trailer Camper RV $66.78

Coleman 8330-3362 Single Stage Heat/Cool with Display Thermostat Camper Trailer RV

Coleman 8330-3362 Single Stage Heat/Cool with Display Thermostat Camper Trailer RV $65.56

Coleman 8330-752 Control Package Trailer Camper RV

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

Found this link for another way to do it.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mod-24914.html
Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #10

Although there are several methods to utilize to accomplish the same result, it is extremely important for one to KNOW electrical systems and approach with caution for every aspect of safety. The last thing anyone wants is their rig burning to the ground or loss of life.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehound View Post
My A/C is the Coleman Mack III;

Coleman 8330-752 Control Package Trailer Camper RV $66.78

Coleman 8330-3362 Single Stage Heat/Cool with Display Thermostat Camper Trailer RV

Coleman 8330-3362 Single Stage Heat/Cool with Display Thermostat Camper Trailer RV $65.56

Coleman 8330-752 Control Package Trailer Camper RV
How did you get the tstat wire to the wall on your model? I have a similar model and want to do the same upgrade.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #12

How hard was it runni g the new thermostat wires to the wall? I was considering wiremolding and just running it that way to the new thermostat but I'm not a fan of how it looks. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!
Myjayco is offline   Reply With Quote