Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #21

We had condensation in the 5th wheel and the TT when using either the Buddy or the Furnace. Campers using propane to heat plus it being cold outside is going to “sweat” and condensate regardless of the source of heat. Our windows would condensate closets would have damp corners and we had to keep cabinet doors open and a dehumidifier running 24/7 to battle it. It’s just the nature of the beast as propane heat/flame creates moisture. Breathing inside all day creates moisture as does cooking or showering or doing dishes and making coffee or tea. We learned a lot of tricks and what works and doesn’t when camping in the cold and being comfortable and safe. Conserving propane by keeping the thermostat set super low wasn’t an option when it’s your “home” and doubly so when kids are involved.
There was a place for the Buddy and the furnace. Keeping ourselves comfortable while also keeping the tanks warm and pipes from freezing took both systems. Yes the Buddy will make one spot warmer than the other, but a simple fan will disperse it across the camper. Yes the furnace was inefficient and used too much propane but we needed to run it occasionally to keep the heated belly warm in conjunction with a heat lamp in the wet bay. There was no “one solution” especially when it was -22 Fahrenheit at times.
I know most don’t full time and this doesn’t apply to fair weather weekend warriors. For those that venture out and camp in adverse conditions especially boondocking where power and supplies are limited are crazy not to include a Buddy heater in the plan. It’s quick easy heat, cheap to run in a 20lb tank, and the safest propane supplement heater there is.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Sorry, wrong assumption. Out west yes. Dry, not so much with rain, snow and generally nasty weather. I don't think anyone said to do something uncomfortable. Point is, we are providing what info we can.
Assume equal hunting season "conditions", i.e., 32 F, constant precipitation, ground saturated and for all intents and purposes, 100% relative humidity.

The air at 8000 ft altitude will hold about 37.6% less moisture vs. the air at 700 ft altitude (my mountain camp).

I would guess that the difference must be significant enough to cause condensation. Don't forget that the Buddy products of combustion also contain water vapor, while the furnace vents them outside.

I agree nobody should be uncomfortable. The other guys that sleep in my old trailer (the "guesthouse") with the Buddy just have to suck it up. I live in the base camp and have the advantage of a nice furnace. As long as it works, it will be my heater of choice.

As they say, "your mileage may vary"...if your altitude or RH is between the 2 cited, why not just buy a Buddy and try it.

PS - although my guest house is old and decrepit, we DO maintain is safely. Running the Buddy does not register anything on the CO detector.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote