Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #21

Your issues

Wow, the issues you are dealing with no one should have to put up with by the Dealer Or Manufacturer... that is horrendous. One comment I will say.... Document and photograph every issue no matter how small it is, Send a Certified - Registered letter with the issues so far fully documented to both Jayco customer service and I'd get the name of the highest executive I could find at Jayco as well as the dealer. I would ask them to provide you with a replacement unit or a unit in exchange and the least make one available while they fix yours... You want to have everything documented with any correspondence from the dealer or Jayco.

One thing to be careful off... do not use the words you are living in it... you are using it while out of town... there is a difference!

We purchased a 2012 Jayflight 26rks new and have been fairly pleased with it... but that was before Jayco was purchased and from the new owner and the issues over the last 3 or 4 years no doubt the industry has had issues you read about every day.. but believe me document every issue dotting all the I"s and crossing all the tees with as many photos you can, just start a big file folder. You have to be consistent in bringing these issues to light.... Call Jayco and see how high you can get up in the management chain...not just the guy answering the phone and following a script.

I do not see your posting as bashing, you are asking questions and solutions to think that is bashing is crazy! I hope you get some help quickly and get it all squared away before winter for sure.

Here is a list of the Jayco Management Team.. If I were you I'd put together a package of issues and send it to each one explain the issues... your having way to many issues for a 3 week old unit not to get some immediate attention: Let these folks hear and see it personally!

Jayco Key Executives
Derald Bontrager. Derald Bontrager serves as the CEO / President of Jayco.
Dave Dillon. Vice President - Engineering. ...
Ted Jacquay. VP of Engineering. ...
Steven Claude. Vice President, Customer Service. ...
Nell Causey. VP. ...
Jeryl Miller. VP Purchasing. ...
Joe Thompson. VP of Operations & Corp.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
Wow, the issues you are dealing with no one should have to put up with by the Dealer Or Manufacturer... that is horrendous.
Nothing to do with nobody being unwilling to fix it. The problem is she has no way to tow it back to the dealer since she is living it full time. Since you mentioned it, you obviously know the owner's manual states "Not for full time living". That is what is causing the primary reason it isn't getting fixed.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Nothing to do with nobody being unwilling to fix it. The problem is she has no way to tow it back to the dealer since she is living it full time. Since you mentioned it, you obviously know the owner's manual states "Not for full time living". That is what is causing the primary reason it isn't getting fixed.
That is the big question How long is too long? I know several folks that go out for 3-6 months on extended vacations... it doesn't sound like it would qualify for full time if he had another place of residence... Camp hosts often stay "Seasons" in their RV- TT and I'd wonder if that is considered full time. There is a local site where we met the hosts, they actually had a home by us and would return 2 or 3 days a week... .it sounds like the guy has a similar set up. It's a tough situation, if he (or anyone) has to bring a 3 week old TT in to a dealer for extended amount of time that's a big issue for me no matter what his use is.... it sounds like weather he has a tow vehicle or not, he needs the TT for what ever reason and these companies don't think twice of saying ok.. bring it in, we will call you when it is ready... that is not acceptable to me and Id do the documentation, make the phone calls, send the documentation and see if someone can figure it out... Someone mentioned a mobile tech.. .even if he had to pay a travel fee the dealer - Jayco would have to pay for the service no matter what.... seeing so much of this from this industry just irritates the heck out of me.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #24

Perplexed: dealer delivered TT? You dont have trailer brakes? Agree with "GGilbert" . . . dealer should send mobile unit to repair whatever is possible or nullify the purchase. Also, I'd file a complaint with Attorney General of your state. Someone told me Jayco quality took turn for worse in 2006 or 2016 (I forget which). Refrigerators of RV must be LEVEL to work effciently - ensure yours is level.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidki View Post
That is the big question How long is too long? I know several folks that go out for 3-6 months on extended vacations... it doesn't sound like it would qualify for full time if he had another place of residence... Camp hosts often stay "Seasons" in their RV- TT and I'd wonder if that is considered full time. There is a local site where we met the hosts, they actually had a home by us and would return 2 or 3 days a week... .it sounds like the guy has a similar set up. It's a tough situation, if he (or anyone) has to bring a 3 week old TT in to a dealer for extended amount of time that's a big issue for me no matter what his use is.... it sounds like weather he has a tow vehicle or not, he needs the TT for what ever reason and these companies don't think twice of saying ok.. bring it in, we will call you when it is ready... that is not acceptable to me and Id do the documentation, make the phone calls, send the documentation and see if someone can figure it out... Someone mentioned a mobile tech.. .even if he had to pay a travel fee the dealer - Jayco would have to pay for the service no matter what.... seeing so much of this from this industry just irritates the heck out of me.
JAYCO has provided a mobile tech if you are not near your dealer or traveling, when emergency service is needed. Been there done that on 3 different occasions.

I also agree it shouldn't sit at a dealer, but who decides who gets the priority. What does he fix first the Jayco's, the Forest River products, the Airstreams, which one? That was also a problem I never had, I used a quality dealer for over 40 years.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #26

Be ready for 2 years of that, life will be good after this , Jayco's counting on the dealer and you to finish the construction of your trailer, thats how sick is this industry

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 05:32 AM   #27

Jayco warranties only exist on paper as a sales tool. In the real world, they are mostly non-existent and worthless. I have a list of about a dozen things that I fixed myself because I was using the trailer for a 6-month trip and couldn't afford to take a time out to tow the trailer to a dealer, drop it off and wait 6 months for them to "maybe" fix the issue(s). After I was done with the trip, I called Jayco and told them I had a list of items that were under warranty that I repaired myself and wanted reimbursement. The rep quickly said "no, we don't reimburse for customer repairs". No negotiation. No wiggle room. No courtesy good will compensation. Just "No. We don't do that. You should have taken it to a dealer".

For several of the failures, I still had the old parts and offered to mail them to Jayco for their review to confirm the defect, they still said "No, we won't reimburse for the repairs". The most insane example IMO was my door lock. It failed and I couldn't get the door open using the key without applying some "persuasion" to the deadbolt. Basically, the tumblers in the key slot had bound up or fallen apart inside the key slot. I removed the lock and took it to the local Jayco dealer and asked for a warranty replacement and asked if I could get the replacement keyed the same as the original. They said they couldn't key it the same and that I would need to send it to Jayco myself and that Jayco would mail me a new one. Jayco was apparently the only one that could re-key it under warranty. They also told me they wouldn't swap out a replacement under warranty since they would need to contact Jayco, get their approval, blah blah blah, which would take some time. I was leaving the next day, so my only option was to purchase an aftermarket lock from their store. When I contacted Jayco about all of the warranty issues, I mentioned this lock and asked for the address so I could mail it back for replacement. I was told I would need to take it to my dealer (100 miles away), give it to them and they would do the warranty paperwork, then mail the lock back to Jayco. Jayco would then mail a replacement back to the dealer and the dealer would mail the lock to me. Seriously? I can't just mail the lock directly to Jayco? I need to go through this convoluted process and spend 2 to 5 times more in gas and postage than the lock is worth? Jayco's response: "Yes".

The entire warranty process is set up to make you go away, not to get your rig fixed in a timely and effective manner. Sorry for the rant.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmikal View Post
Jayco warranties only exist on paper as a sales tool. In the real world, they are mostly non-existent and worthless. I have a list of about a dozen things that I fixed myself because I was using the trailer for a 6-month trip and couldn't afford to take a time out to tow the trailer to a dealer, drop it off and wait 6 months for them to "maybe" fix the issue(s). After I was done with the trip, I called Jayco and told them I had a list of items that were under warranty that I repaired myself and wanted reimbursement. The rep quickly said "no, we don't reimburse for customer repairs". No negotiation. No wiggle room. No courtesy good will compensation. Just "No. We don't do that. You should have taken it to a dealer".

For several of the failures, I still had the old parts and offered to mail them to Jayco for their review to confirm the defect, they still said "No, we won't reimburse for the repairs". The most insane example IMO was my door lock. It failed and I couldn't get the door open using the key without applying some "persuasion" to the deadbolt. Basically, the tumblers in the key slot had bound up or fallen apart inside the key slot. I removed the lock and took it to the local Jayco dealer and asked for a warranty replacement and asked if I could get the replacement keyed the same as the original. They said they couldn't key it the same and that I would need to send it to Jayco myself and that Jayco would mail me a new one. Jayco was apparently the only one that could re-key it under warranty. They also told me they wouldn't swap out a replacement under warranty since they would need to contact Jayco, get their approval, blah blah blah, which would take some time. I was leaving the next day, so my only option was to purchase an aftermarket lock from their store. When I contacted Jayco about all of the warranty issues, I mentioned this lock and asked for the address so I could mail it back for replacement. I was told I would need to take it to my dealer (100 miles away), give it to them and they would do the warranty paperwork, then mail the lock back to Jayco. Jayco would then mail a replacement back to the dealer and the dealer would mail the lock to me. Seriously? I can't just mail the lock directly to Jayco? I need to go through this convoluted process and spend 2 to 5 times more in gas and postage than the lock is worth? Jayco's response: "Yes".

The entire warranty process is set up to make you go away, not to get your rig fixed in a timely and effective manner. Sorry for the rant.
its sick, really sick

Old 09-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

I understand your frustration, although not having a dog in this hunt I would however suggest you should maybe look at this from Jayco's perspective. What kind of pandora's box would they be opening up if they started dealing with each owner's list of warranty claims? Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken you'd have to receive prior authorization from Jayco before they'd start reimbursing you for warranty repairs, same as the dealer. As for the lockset, did you ask the dealer if you can UPS it?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:49 AM   #30

As Onyrlef said all repairs need pre-authorization. Also JAYCO does not have their parts dept set up to ship to individuals, they have stated that for years.

Also your dealer is blowing smoke. They don't re-key locks they order new ones using the same code as the old lock from the manufacturer and they can do that.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #31

I myself have a 2022 264BH. But before I chime in on my issues, you got yours "Brand New" for $10k? Something tells me they knew a lot about those issues in advance.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #32

This is brave, but encouraging at the same time. Blatantly admitting to making your own repairs is all they need to void your warranty, especially if you purchased an extended warranty. But on the flip side, if they aren't going to fix it in a timely manner, who will?
Old 09-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Or it could be just capitalism.
That’s right. The government does things so much better than the free market. Lmfao.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #34

Quote:
As Onyrlef said all repairs need pre-authorization. Also JAYCO does not have their parts dept set up to ship to individuals, they have stated that for years.

Also your dealer is blowing smoke. They don't re-key locks they order new ones using the same code as the old lock from the manufacturer and they can do that.
Maybe they have been "doing it for years", but I have not been buying Jayco's "for years", therefore I have no way of knowing what they do and don't do. After this experience, I can tell you for a fact that their parts department is not set up to take care of the customers needs and their system is set up to make it as difficult and expensive as possible to make the simplest of warranty claims.

I didn't ask for it to be "re-keyed" and I didn't say the dealer would do it or ask the dealer if they would re-key it. I asked "if I could get the replacement keyed the same as the original" and was told BY THE JAYCO DEALER " to send it back, they will ship you a replacement keyed to your original lock". I didn't ask if they could ship it because I was a thousand miles from home, was leaving for another campground the next day, and wouldn't be home to receive packages for quite awhile and wasn't going to return to this dealers location until maybe next year. Maybe 2 years.
Old 09-04-2022, 01:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMPANT-RVer View Post
This is brave, but encouraging at the same time. Blatantly admitting to making your own repairs is all they need to void your warranty, especially if you purchased an extended warranty. But on the flip side, if they aren't going to fix it in a timely manner, who will?
You would let your toilet or shower leak for a week or month while on vacation just so you could get it fixed under warranty at some unknown date in the future, or would you fix it yourself or get someone near you to help fix it so your floor or walls aren't saturated with water while you are using your rig?

FWIW, something like fixing a leaky toilet won't void the warranty on brakes, axles, doors, trim, stove, microwave, etc... The warranty on the entire trailer won't be voided because you nailed up a piece of loose trim.
Old 09-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
I understand your frustration, although not having a dog in this hunt I would however suggest you should maybe look at this from Jayco's perspective. What kind of pandora's box would they be opening up if they started dealing with each owner's list of warranty claims? Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken you'd have to receive prior authorization from Jayco before they'd start reimbursing you for warranty repairs, same as the dealer. As for the lockset, did you ask the dealer if you can UPS it?
I didn't ask if they could ship it because I was a thousand miles from home, was leaving for another campground the next day, and wouldn't be home to receive packages for quite awhile and wasn't going to return to this dealers location until maybe next year. Maybe 2 years. I was willing to spend the $10 or so in postage to return my original to Jayco because the authorized dealer told me I could, and that Jayco would send me a new one. Imagine that. The dealer was wrong. Or maybe they just flat out lied to me to get me to leave without them having to deal with the problem. But of course, that would never happen, would it?
Old 09-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Maybe they have been "doing it for years", but I have not been buying Jayco's "for years", therefore I have no way of knowing what they do and don't do. After this experience, I can tell you for a fact that their parts department is not set up to take care of the customers needs and their system is set up to make it as difficult and expensive as possible to make the simplest of warranty claims.

I didn't ask for it to be "re-keyed" and I didn't say the dealer would do it or ask the dealer if they would re-key it. I asked "if I could get the replacement keyed the same as the original" and was told BY THE JAYCO DEALER " to send it back, they will ship you a replacement keyed to your original lock". I didn't ask if they could ship it because I was a thousand miles from home, was leaving for another campground the next day, and wouldn't be home to receive packages for quite awhile and wasn't going to return to this dealers location until maybe next year. Maybe 2 years.
In your original post you said " Jayco was apparently the only one that could re-key it under warranty". Any dealer could have ordered a replacement using the number on your key and had it sent to what ever CG you were going to next,
Old 09-04-2022, 03:35 PM   #38

Quote:
In your original post you said " Jayco was apparently the only one that could re-key it under warranty". Any dealer could have ordered a replacement using the number on your key and had it sent to what ever CG you were going to next,
You are free to hang your hat on that one word if you like and ignore the rest, but I continued to explain why getting the dealer to return it under warranty could not take place: "I didn't ask if they could ship it because I was a thousand miles from home, was leaving for another campground the next day, and wouldn't be home to receive packages for quite awhile and wasn't going to return to this dealers location until maybe next year. Maybe 2 years." I also explained that the authorized Jayco dealer TOLD ME I COULD SHIP IT AND JAYCO WOULD SEND ANOTHER ONE". I took them at their word, being that they were an authorized Jayco dealer. (All caps added for emphasis so its harder to ignore). Good day.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:43 PM   #39

Imho
Attached Images

😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:59 PM   #40

Quote:
You are free to hang your hat on that one word if you like and ignore the rest, but I continued to explain why getting the dealer to return it under warranty could not take place: "I didn't ask if they could ship it because I was a thousand miles from home, was leaving for another campground the next day, and wouldn't be home to receive packages for quite awhile and wasn't going to return to this dealers location until maybe next year. Maybe 2 years." I also explained that the authorized Jayco dealer TOLD ME I COULD SHIP IT AND JAYCO WOULD SEND ANOTHER ONE". I took them at their word, being that they were an authorized Jayco dealer. (All caps added for emphasis so its harder to ignore). Good day.

You are wasting your time with this discussion; you will see that here, there are people who defend Jayco more than Jayco defends itself...Another reason why this industry is not ready to change :-) However its an interesting forum for many other reason , good luck :-)

Tags
fridge not working, jayflight, leak, panel installation, propane gas leak