Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2022, 09:14 AM   #1

Multitude of Problems with my 2 month old TT

I bought a Jayco Jayflight 264bhw about two months ago. It was brand new from an authorized Jayco Dealer. I have been living it in during the week days for work for about three weeks and been having many problems. First, the paneling started lifting near the door. Now, the paneling is lifting around every window too, and the seal tape is hanging on by a thread. It is so bad in some places I can see the wood panel under the paneling and it is letting in a bunch of heat. Then, my fridge stopped working on electric (still works on propane). Then, I looked under the sink after about two weeks (I know, I should have checked more regularly) and it had been leaking since the day I first hooked it up to water. Luckily, I turned the water off whenever I was at work or gone for the weekend and had towels under the sink so it didn't cause any water damage. Now, this morning my hose fitting to one of my propane tanks is leaking. I am at my wit's end with this trailer and wondering if this is an normal amount of problems for a Jayco or I just got a really badly manufactured one.
I am in talks with Jayco and the dealership trying to get repairs, but I need to live in the trailer for work and cannot easily get the trailer to the dealership that is two hours away. My car is not equipped with trailer brakes or a sway hitch yet since I just spent $10K on a potential lemon.
brookegeorguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookegeorguson View Post
I bought a Jayco Jayflight 264bhw about two months ago. It was brand new from an authorized Jayco Dealer. I have been living it in during the week days for work for about three weeks. The problems over the past three weeks are really making me regret going with Jayco. First, the paneling started lifting near the door. Now, the paneling is lifting around every window too, and the seal tape is hanging on by a thread. It is so bad in some places I can see the wood panel under the paneling and it is letting in a bunch of heat. Then, my fridge stopped working on electric (still works on propane). Then, I looked under the sink after about two weeks (I know, I should have checked more regularly) and it had been leaking since the day I first hooked it up to water. Luckily, I turned the water off whenever I was at work or gone for the weekend and had towels under the sink so it didn't cause any water damage. Now, this morning my hose fitting to one of my propane tanks is leaking. I am at my wit's end with this trailer and wondering if this is an normal amount of problems for a Jayco or I just got a really badly manufactured one.
I am in talks with Jayco and the dealership trying to get repairs, but I need to live in the trailer for work and cannot easily get the trailer to the dealership that is two hours away. My car is not equipped with trailer brakes or a sway hitch yet since I just spent $10K on a potential lemon.
Queue up, but brand x is just as bad. Meantime I'd suggest you fix what you can yourself while otherwise you're at the mercy of the dealer. If you can post a picture of the paneling issue maybe I or someone here can help you out.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Queue up, but brand x is just as bad. Meantime I'd suggest you fix what you can yourself while otherwise you're at the mercy of the dealer. If you can post a picture of the paneling issue maybe I or someone here can help you out.
My family has owned Jaycos for 25+ years. This is my first one that I have been able to buy myself and I am just shocked at the difference of quality in mine versus my parents' 15 year old Jayco. I unfortunately think the quality of everything is worse now a days in order to make things cheaper. Thanks for the input! I will post some pictures of the paneling this evening.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
My family has owned Jaycos for 25+ years. This is my first one that I have been able to buy myself and I am just shocked at the difference of quality in mine versus my parents' 15 year old Jayco. I unfortunately think the quality of everything is worse now a days in order to make things cheaper. Thanks for the input! I will post some pictures of the paneling this evening.
... sorry to hear of your problems with your new TT. I think you're right in that the quality issues are more common now.

As far as "the quality of everything" comment, I agree with that, too. Locktite is selling "Shoe Glue". I guess you can expect your shoes to fall apart as well.

Onyrlef offers good advice.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #5

Here is some photos. I will need to take more next time I am in the trailer. The paneling is bulging out under every window and putting tension on the seam tape. I cannot find a pic but it is so bad under the window in the bedroom that the floor trim has completely detached.
Attached Thumbnails
8ACF6C14-6686-4432-9750-40002F85A253.jpg   51F29766-81D5-4838-9130-8B275DA19C3F.jpg  
Old 08-26-2022, 02:37 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Here is some photos. I will need to take more next time I am in the trailer. The paneling is bulging out under every window and putting tension on the seam tape. I cannot find a pic but it is so bad under the window in the bedroom that the floor trim has completely detached.
It appears there aren't nearly enough fasteners ( narrow crown staples) used and the ordinary flexing, expansion and contraction is popping the panels loose. It's of course a warranty issue, but if you do attempt to fix it they could refuse to honor the claim and you don't know how much worse it could get. As for the leaking propane hose and the water leak, I'd go ahead and fix those, you can live with the loose paneling, the other, not so much. Definitely get it turned in however.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:12 PM   #7

I have a long list of issues that have been worked on with my 2022 264BHW.
  • Non-operational brakes at delivery.
  • Power center fell out of the cabinet.
  • Fridge would not work on propane, actually shot flames out the side.
  • Ceiling panel loose from roof.
  • Cuts in the flooring vinyl.
  • Box is out of square on frame.
  • SOOO many cosmetic issues, scars on walls, etc.
  • Water in marker lights.
  • Broken curtain tracks from factory.

The list goes on. I have given up on working with my local dealer, no one deserves that pain. Anything I can fix myself I do now, warranty is only there for something huge.

You are not alone. The build quality just sucks.

"Past performance is not a guarantee of future results."
2 kids
1 dog
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Both similar trim strips alongside my door frame bowed out slightly near the bottom, too, although very slightly. The problem was they were about an eighth-inch too long and rather than trim them to the proper length, they just stapled them in. Something had to give and it was the staples, which are small and thin so the trim bowed out. I used a small hacksaw blade to cut off the ends of the trim and screwed it in tight. You might look at yours and see if it isnít too long also.
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Moderator note

I would encourage members to read the Forum Community Rules, and please understand that there is no affiliation to Jayco Inc. I will repost the section about customer disputes here:

"Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to solely vent frustrations about services, products, vendors, or sales. Please settle your differences with the seller, provider, manufacturer, or dealer through other means but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden."

If there is a specific question here that our members can help with, we're more than happy to help where we can.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:37 AM   #10

I have a 2022 264BH. Yeah, lots of issues as described above. I dont live in the camper, so it is a "hobby" tinkering and fixing it myself. I called Jayco on some of the issues, they in-turn called the dealer, and the dealer suggested fixes and sent me parts free of charge. Not ideal, but it saves a 4 hour round trip.
1911Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #11

i wonder if they would send a mobile tech since its a new camper?
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
I have a long list of issues that have been worked on with my 2022 264BHW.
  • Non-operational brakes at delivery.
  • Power center fell out of the cabinet.
  • Fridge would not work on propane, actually shot flames out the side.
  • Ceiling panel loose from roof.
  • Cuts in the flooring vinyl.
  • Box is out of square on frame.
  • SOOO many cosmetic issues, scars on walls, etc.
  • Water in marker lights.
  • Broken curtain tracks from factory.

The list goes on. I have given up on working with my local dealer, no one deserves that pain. Anything I can fix myself I do now, warranty is only there for something huge.

You are not alone. The build quality just sucks.

"Past performance is not a guarantee of future results."
How did you fix the paneling? I cannot find much info on how to do it properly and with what materials.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #13

I also forgot to mention that my jack knife sofa was screwed into the wall and is no longer screwed in so it slightly moves when sitting down. Should I just screw it in the same spot on the panel? It seems as though it is possibly a stud where the sofa was screwed in.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:02 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I also forgot to mention that my jack knife sofa was screwed into the wall and is no longer screwed in so it slightly moves when sitting down. Should I just screw it in the same spot on the panel? It seems as though it is possibly a stud where the sofa was screwed in.
First off, that sofa didn't likely just come loose from the wall if it was attached to a stud, something made it come loose. That, and the issue with the wall panels would cause me to suspect the trailer has been stressed in some way. Otherwise, if you're going to attempt to reattach those panels you're going to need a staple gun, either electric or pneumatic. Duo-Fast makes a capable electric gun which shoots a narrow crown wire staple, if you've an air compressor you can pick up a decent pneumatic gun and staples at most any big box hardware for around a hundred bucks.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Have you tried just tightening the screw into the stud? Itís possible it just didnít get fully tightened in the hurried assembly. If the hole is stripped, youíll need to use a larger screw or relocate it to fresh wood. Or fill the existing hole to get a firm grip on the screw.
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:56 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Or it could be just capitalism.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
... sorry to hear of your problems with your new TT. I think you're right in that the quality issues are more common now.

As far as "the quality of everything" comment, I agree with that, too. Locktite is selling "Shoe Glue". I guess you can expect your shoes to fall apart as well.

Onyrlef offers good advice.
I laughed at this. Totally off topic, but I have been buying Columbia sandals for many years and used to be impressed with the quality. Got a good BOGO deal on TWO new pairs of their new PFG line a couple of years ago. They have completely fallen apart and are now probably more ShoeGoo (tm) than Columbia (highly recommend the ShoeGoo though!) Quality issues abound everywhere these days my friends!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:06 PM   #18

Dang that's unfortunate sorry to hear this.

Might try to contact Jayco customer service and explain your issues and situation and see if they will honor a mobile service to come make at least some of the repairs. Not sure if this is possible but don't see any harm in asking. The call may save you a lot of headache.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #19

If you ask people who have paid $ 1.2 million for thier RV they will tell you they have the same type defects and problems we have with our less expensive RV. So all RV manufactures have the same amount of Lazy, Sorry people working for them some are just sorryer than others. You can not own a RV unless you are some what of a HandymanÖ..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:10 PM   #20

Sorry, I cannot offer help. Just want to say that, after much consideration and changing of minds, 2 years ago my wife and I traded in our 1996 Roadtrek for a 2002 Greyhawk 24SS with 61,000 miles. We couldn't be more happy. It's well constructed, is in great shape, and all systems work well. I apologize if my comments seem inappropriate in this thread. I don't intend to diminish the problems others have with newer units. I guess my concern is what happens when the day comes when we need to upgrade. The prospects aren't great it sounds, for used units 10 years down the road.
tgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge not working, jayflight, leak, panel installation, propane gas leak