Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

Murphy Bed satisfaction 23MRB

I'm new to the forum, but looking at smaller (under 6000lb) couples trailers, I am spoiled by the amount of room in our current jay feather hybrid. A happy medium seems to be a White Hawk 23MRB. I like that it has a couch set up plus a portable table. The outdoor kitchen is a really nice bonus for our camping lifestyle as well. My main question if people are happy with a murphy bed set up? Is there any major disadvantage other than this Jayco has a shorter queen bed, but that isn't a huge problem for us. Appreciate any comments on Murphy beds in general and/or any weigh-ins on a White Hawk 23MRB specifically. Thanks!
rstalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #2

We went from a Jayflight 23 RB to the White Hawk 23MRB because we wanted more living space. It took a bit to get used to not having a separate bedroom but now we love it. It is just the two of us and occasionally the grand kids but we adapt well. After one trip we knew we didn't want to mess with tieing down the table so we took it out. We either use the portable table stored under the bed or mostly eat outside. We also carry two old timey tv trays to eat on if we want to. It is 1,000 lbs heavier than the Jayflight but pulls easier and I get a bit better gas mileage. Maybe the spread axles, maybe more air dynamic, I just know it pulls better.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

We looked at that one, but we were concerned with the lack of storage space. Also, it was more expensive than what we bought.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
We looked at that one, but we were concerned with the lack of storage space. Also, it was more expensive than what we bought.
Starting with 2018 models they have much more storage space. We were impressed at how much more space we had but we can only compare it to The Jayflight we had.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Site Team

We have a 22BHM Murphy Bed Jay Feather. Absolutely love the Murphy Bed concept in this trailer. Our last 2 units had the standard front bed setup and after going to this Murphy Bed idea, we have no intention of going back. Great open floor plan with the bed up. Just as comfortable as any other rv bed when in use. I love the fact that we were able to get the same overall living space in a much shorter unit.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstalk View Post
I'm new to the forum, but looking at smaller (under 6000lb) couples trailers, I am spoiled by the amount of room in our current jay feather hybrid. A happy medium seems to be a White Hawk 23MRB. I like that it has a couch set up plus a portable table. The outdoor kitchen is a really nice bonus for our camping lifestyle as well. My main question if people are happy with a murphy bed set up? Is there any major disadvantage other than this Jayco has a shorter queen bed, but that isn't a huge problem for us. Appreciate any comments on Murphy beds in general and/or any weigh-ins on a White Hawk 23MRB specifically. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

We moved from a class B (no dedicated bedroom & small bed) to the 27RLS because we wanted a dedicated bedroom & queen bed.
Our neighbor has a TT with a murphy bed (some other brand) and they LOVE theirs.

Decisions, decisions! Happy trailer shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Jay Feather 7 18RBM here. Very happy with the Murphy bed. Moved up from a pop-up where I was crawling over the wife to get to the bathroom. No longer a problem, and a lot more floor space in a smaller unit when up. Wife pulls it down and puts it back with ease.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #8

Towing a JayFeather 23bhm and the Murphy Bed works out well for our needs. Up and out of the way when not needed and frees up floor space.
DW added a foam pad topper to the mattress but I thought it was comfortable as is.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #9

Love my 23 MRB's bed. Comfortable and out of the way. DW deals with it no problem while I set up outside...works good.
Swamp Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #10

We have a whitehawk 24mbh, love the Murphy bed setup this is by far the best, it has a dedicated mattress that folds when up ,but you can’t feel it when you lay on it . The mattress is about 6” thick and there is no need for straps when up our former flagstaff Murphy bed was not a great design, when the bed was down there was a 6” void at the head and you had to use straps to keep things out of the hole when up.. the pass-through is much better you can get chairs and stuff in and it is isolated from the interior
rarobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #11

We love our 23 MRB. The Murphy bed allows for so much living space. My wife and aimlivenin it for 4
Months each winter. The newer models have more outside storage but we rely on storage under our pickup topper.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #12

We have occasional grand kids, and sometimes we have friends without trailers sleeping in our trailer for a night. We looked at this design, but privacy prevailed, so we went with a fixed bed. No doubt you save a full 4 feet going Murphy bed.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarobo View Post
We have a whitehawk 24mbh, love the Murphy bed setup this is by far the best, it has a dedicated mattress that folds when up ,but you can’t feel it when you lay on it . The mattress is about 6” thick and there is no need for straps when up our former flagstaff Murphy bed was not a great design, when the bed was down there was a 6” void at the head and you had to use straps to keep things out of the hole when up.. the pass-through is much better you can get chairs and stuff in and it is isolated from the interior

I will be converting my 24mbh to that design during the off-season. The pass-through storage makes the MB camper so much more versatile...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #14

Has anyone added a true queen mattress to the MRB? I have a spare nice mattress but am concerned about the added weight, thickness and length, it’s 60X80 unlike the MRB mattress which is only 60X74?
amcbride828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #15

Should have added we love the MRB concept. Nice open living area during the day if it’s raining or snowing etc. and a curtain for those times you need a little privacy. We have a 2014 I think and yes storage is lacking!
amcbride828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcbride828 View Post
Has anyone added a true queen mattress to the MRB? I have a spare nice mattress but am concerned about the added weight, thickness and length, it’s 60X80 unlike the MRB mattress which is only 60X74?
I would like to know how that works out too! FWIW, my 3" mattress topper is full queen size and with the stock mattress, stows fine. On mine, if I add thick bedding, it takes some persuading to latch.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #17

Had our 20MRB for just over thee years. I love the Murphy bed but SWMBO doesn't as it is a bit hard for her to get up in the bed as she is short and the bed is a bit high for her.

The removable dinette table in our rig was constructed with no thought where your feet end up when seated. It was removed and a card table is used, if we need a table. We also used old time TV trays.

With the slide open and the Murphy Bed up, this rig seems pretty spacious.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #18

We have a 2017 23MRB. We love the setup especially the room made available with the murphy bed. The mattress was crap, so we bought an aftermarket mattress off Amazon. Now the bed is perfect.
bajaxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #19

I can’t see how the Murphy bed would closenif you put a full queen mattress on it!
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #20

After many months of “internet “ shopping for our first trailer after 45 years of tent camping (we are both in our mid sixties) & a marathon visiting 7 trailer dealerships, we set our minds on a Murphy bed model. The ease of setting the bed up or down really helped to sell us! We were pretty well set on the White Hawk 23MRB, however, settled for the Jay Feather 23RBM for a couple reasons. Our dealership had both the White Hawk & Jay Feather next to each other allowing us to jump back & forth comparing! There is a big difference in the quality of materials (flooring, underbelly, etc.) between the WH/JF however being a retired mechanical contractor I have enough construction under my belt to tackle most anything inside/outside the trailer. The straight counter (instead of the L) give us a bit more floor space & more open countertop, along with not needing the outdoor kitchen gave us more indoor storage. The extra floor space when the bed is up gives us the couch to sit and read (during bad weather) is a BIG plus! This coming spring with the warranty off we will be doing several mods that will include cutting into the storage next to the bathroom for towels, linens, etc. angling the sink & vanity to match the angle of the shower with a small extension to the sink counter. Next will probably be to modify the benches/dining area to have two dining chairs and a custom table.
Geotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
murphy beds, white hawk 23mrb