Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #1

My only 2 complaints....

We have a Jay Swift Flight SLX, and we love it! This is our 4th summer with it. The only 2 complaints I have are with the shower. Wow, the hot water tank is TINY. I cannot even finish rinsing the shampoo out of my hair before the water is ICE cold. Also, the pressure is really lousy as well, which unfortunately requires more time to rinse off! Aside of installing a larger hot water tank and going to campgrounds with amazing water pressure, I realize there is probably not much that can be done about this. However, I've seen some really innovative ideas on here, so I figured I would toss these 2 out!
reneegavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

Yeah, I'm not thrilled with my pump pressure either. I wonder if there is a higher pressure replacement available.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

You mention the pressure is lousy, is it the same for the bath sink and the kitchen sink? Are you talking about city water pressure or your holding tank water or both. Just trying to narrow this down for you. Or you might need to change out to this.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #4

Com on guys, its camping. Im with U..
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

Do you use electric and gas together? That will help extend another 25% in my experience. It also recovers about 50% faster for the next shower. If you are out where you have no power, you might think about buying a generator.

If your hot water heater doesn't have an electric option, you can add a Hot Rod or similar heating element.

For pressure, a new shower head will really make a difference. Also, make sure your battery(s) are fully charged if you are not plugged in.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

What the traveler said. A low flow high velocity shower head will really help. Throttle down the flow (don't turn off) while soaping up to conserve water.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

We installed a shut off valve in the shower head to reduce the water flow to a trickle when we're soaping up, and started taking navy showers. It really has helped reducing water usage and we never run out of hot water.

As for the pressure, are you using the trailer's water pump? There should be an adjusting screw on it to adjust the water pressure. Once we did that on our old hybrid, only a quarter turn or so, it really helped.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #8

our new to us 2014 eagle rbts works real well for showering, you don't have to turn the water off, but also don't take your time, my daughter took a 8 minute times shower and never ran out of hot water, plus I really love the gigantic 86 gallon holding tank, our old camper had a 32 gallon, and you had to take army showers, so we didn't shower in there very often, it was easier to bath in the lake.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
There should be an adjusting screw on it to adjust the water pressure.
Good to know. I'll have to look for that.
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #10

I will have to let my husband read through these responses. He would know more about the technical aspects then I do! Believe me, we are definitely taking army showers now! I get wet, turn off water while soaping and shampooing, rinse off....still ice cold by the end! Thank you for all of the responses. I don't mind so much when we are "camping, camping". However, we often use the camper as a portable hotel room, and walking around with shampoo/conditioner still in my hair is less than desirable!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
You mention the pressure is lousy, is it the same for the bath sink and the kitchen sink? Are you talking about city water pressure or your holding tank water or both. Just trying to narrow this down for you. Or you might need to change out to this.
It is both....We mainly use the campgrounds water...very rarely the holding tank.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #12

If you have gas and electric on the water heater, use them both at the same time if you can. I wonder if the WH is heating the water enough too.
Also, make sure there is no cold water mixing going on - water getting transferred around the water heater by the winterizing valve.
Plan C - on demand water heater upgrade.
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneegavin View Post
It is both....We mainly use the campgrounds water...very rarely the holding tank.
If you are using campground water you are at their mercy for pressure. Are you using a regulator to protect your trailer? Maybe that is reducing it too much.
Upgraded shower head is probably your best bet if you want better pressure and you are just using the campground water.

If your rv water pump provides better pressure though you could use that while showering I guess. Just keep your holding tank full.

Cheers
Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

You could have small plastic shavings stuck in your faucets. The easiest filter to remove would be your kitchen faucet so unscrew the end and see if the screen is clean. If so then the rest are clogged also.
This is a tough one because are water systems are so basic.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #15

You could have a bad pressure reducer and if you can hook up at home take that reducer off and see if it makes a difference.