Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Nails on roof

Our 2016 Eagle TT has several nails/staples coming up under the rubber membrane of roof. It started out with a couple and we keep finding more it seems like. I would say there are 15-20 dimples under roof.
Jayco recommended the service center to tap them back down w/ rubber mallet. Service center tried and was able to get some to go back down but not others. They were afraid if they hit too hard it would puncture roof.
Because the nails/staples are all over and not in just one area the whole rubber roof would need to be replaced and the estimate was $3-4k.
Jayco hasn't approved this as the roof isn't leaking but I would think long term we will end up w/ holes in roof.
Anyone else having similar issue on new camper?
What are your thoughts and would you be hesitant about replacing roof?
fyi: Jayco hasn't decline the repair but also hasn't approved it. I'm just trying to educate myself before moving forward.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #2

I have the same issue on my 2016 23RB. Probably half a dozen staples pushing up from below the membrane. I've been hesitant to try to tap them back down and very hesitant to take it in for service. I don't want them messing things up worse but I'm sure these staples will eventually wear holes through the membrane given enough to time. I'm keeping an eye on this thread to see what happens
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

I keep seeing where people are talking about nails/staples coming up under the roof membrane. While looking at all the information about the building of these trailers, they are stating that Jayco doesn't use staples like the competition is their claim to fame. They state that they use screws. Any ideas?
blackoak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoak2006 View Post
While looking at all the information about the building of these trailers, they are stating that Jayco doesn't use staples like the competition is their claim to fame.
Where did you see this stated?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Where did you see this stated?
here: http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...uction-detail/

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoak2006 View Post
They state that they use screws. Any ideas?
"We screw down 3/8" roof decking at each seam,"

The rest is stapled.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
M&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
"We screw down 3/8" roof decking at each seam,"

The rest is stapled.
Kind of defeats the rest of the statement?
"reduces the chance of fasteners coming loose and puncturing the rubber roof material"
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #8

On their website.
blackoak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
They do screw the edges and staple the center. Notice the wording on the screwed part. Unless the staple is almost all the way out you should be able to tap it back down, with no issues...

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A View Post
Kind of defeats the rest of the statement?
"reduces the chance of fasteners coming loose and puncturing the rubber roof material"
I fail to see where Jayco stated some screws and the rest is stapled. I do see where it was pointed out that the competitors use staple, very misleading.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #11

They say they screw all the edges, which reduces the chance of staples pulling loose. While true it is misleading. Yes, movement on the edges are more likely than movement in the middle of a panel. both will move. I would think for the couple of minutes additional time needed to screw the whole panel down, the "bragging" rights would be worth it.....or you can just mislead..

One nice thing, they do use 3/8" domestic plywood rather than a 1/4" import.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #12

if a staple work by friction to hold piece together, and if the same came loose and come up, hamerring it back down will serve no other purpose than buying time before seeing a puncture in the membrane. Jayco likes to brag about not stapling their Amish cabinet....to be honest i would take less screw there and more on the roof, its a lot easier to fix cabinet i would think

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #13

Service center was able to get some of the staples back down BUT others will not go down any further w/out them hitting hard enough to damage the rubber roof. And I agree w/ statement above. Tapping down staples does not fix the issue if they came up prior they will surely come up again.
Now I'll have to see what Jayco is going to do. This should never happen IMO on a 6 month old camper.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
if a staple work by friction to hold piece together, and if the same came loose and come up, hamerring it back down will serve no other purpose than buying time before seeing a puncture in the membrane. Jayco likes to brag about not stapling their Amish cabinet....to be honest i would take less screw there and more on the roof, its a lot easier to fix cabinet i would think
99.99% of the hundreds of thousands of staples I have used were all cement coated. So while it was being driven in, the friction caused the glue to "melt" and bond to the wood. In almost all cases a staple that comes out, is due to not being installed properly...typically it is not driven deep enough often because the staple gun was either held at an angle or not enough pressure was applied and the gun "bounced". If not driven deep enough then, other you can tap it flush and it will not work it's way out.

Bottom line, someone screwed up and yes none of use should have to endure the potential roof puncture. If it was only a few staples, spread apart I probably would just tap them back into place and not worry about it. If a row of staples were all popping I would be much more concerned. Chances are the staple itself will not cause a roof puncture. Walking on staples that have popped could potentially cause an issue..

Please let us know what Jayco does regarding this situation. I wish all RV mfg would use more adhesives in their construction. No reason other than time to apply that I can see, but it would eliminate many of the issues they have. Trim, floors,roofs, cabinets, etc, all would be much stronger as would the whole unit if adhesive was used. Good Luck.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #15

Well said Wags!!
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:30 AM   #16

I only found two spots coming up and Jayco signed off on a new roof under warranty.
Nothing had broke through the membrane so I was VERY skeptical about having such major work done for something so minor but I'm glad I did. The dealer replaced the entire membrane and I must say it was done better than the factory. I was told one of the spots was basically a splinter from the plywood.
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:18 AM   #17

During the re-roofing by the dealer, did the dealer use screws instead of using staples to hold down the plywood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingn.c. View Post
I only found two spots coming up and Jayco signed off on a new roof under warranty.
Nothing had broke through the membrane so I was VERY skeptical about having such major work done for something so minor but I'm glad I did. The dealer replaced the entire membrane and I must say it was done better than the factory. I was told one of the spots was basically a splinter from the plywood.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #18

Yes, that was my understanding. They also sanded down any potential rough spots in the wood. They also replaced my skylight after finding a small crack in the outer layer.

I had several conversations with the dealer about my skepticism on having it done, knowing it's in THEIR best interest to perform the work.
At the end of the day he convinced me to let them do it. Almost everyone on here and another large forum told me not to but I'm glad I did.
campingn.c. is offline   Reply With Quote