Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

Necessary Items in a Travel Trailer

I'm starting to compile a list of things I need (and things I want) for the TT.

Some things are necessary and must be purchased before the first camping trip; some things can wait or can be borrowed from the house until the trailer gets its own.

Here is what I have so far based on articles I've read online:

weight distribution hitch

EMS Progressive Industries Surge Protector (which one?)

tool kit (got it)

duct tape (got it)

wd-40

water pressure regulator (which one?)

extra fuses (get from dealership? How do you know what to buy?)

water filter (which kind?)

level (got it)

leveling blocks

wheel chocks

flashlight & batteries

fire extinguisher

smoke and carbon monoxide detector

freshwater hose (15')

normal hose

sewer hose (15')

nitrile gloves

power cord (how long?)

plug adapter

RV toilet paper

toilet treatment pods

What am I missing?
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #2

Dishes, flatware, cookware, cutting boards -- some people buy a new set for their house and put the old ones in the trailer
Dish towels, dish cloths, bath towels, bath mat -- same as above
Toiletries -- We use the free samples of toothpaste, floss and toothbrushes that we get from the dentist in the trailer
Dish soap, hand soap, hand sanitizer
Blankets or sleeping bags, pillows, mattress topper, bed sheets
Salt, pepper, spices
Broom and dustpan
Regular 15 amp extension cord
Rain gear
Bug spray
BBQ tools
Lawn chairs
Axe or hatchet for firewood

Got dog(s)? You'll need stuff for them too: food and water dishes, a chain or rope, something to store their food in, maybe a copy of their vaccination papers to keep in the trailer, favorite squeaky toy to wake you up at 5 am...
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

Some things are necessary and must be purchased before the first camping trip; some things can wait or can be borrowed from the house until the trailer gets its own.

tool kit (got it) make sure to have tire changing tools, they are not included, and what is in your tv, may not work.

duct tape (got it)

wd-40 useless stuff,

water pressure regulator (which one?)there are lots of options, I have a cheap one but most people recommend an expensive adjustable unit

extra fuses (get from dealership? How do you know what to buy?) they are the same as car fuses, wait and get them after you pickup the tt, buy them at a auto parts store

water filter (which kind?) [COLOR="red "]a crap blur one from Walmart, or go to the hardware store, and buy the parts to make one up[/COLOR]

level (got it)

leveling blocks

wheel chocks

flashlight & batteries

fire extinguisher, a very small one will come with

smoke and carbon monoxide detector one of each come with. Some people will add a smoke detector if they have a bunk house.

freshwater hose (15') I have a 25 foot,
And a short 10 foot. Most of the time I use the short hose

normal hose

sewer hose (15')

nitrile gloves

power cord (how long?)what do you want to do with it? 30 amp extension cord, only come in 25 foot. I also will carry a 25 foot 12 gauge cord for other uses.

plug adapter usually a 15 amp adaptor comes with the tt, at some point you may want a 50 to 30 amp adaptor

RV toilet paper

toilet treatment pods

What am I missing?
We keep the tt stocked at all times, we utilize old house stuff. We keep bedding, plates, towels, etc in the camper.

We also have a small grill, and propane Stove in the tt, so we can cook outside, which we do most days.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 PM   #4

Outfitting a trailer ain't cheap, but you probably already know that. Our most expensive piece of gear was our generator. The whole pile of stuff was a couple grand or more.

Your trailer may come with smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

How about:
A jack to change trailer tires (we use a bottle jack)

water filter: the Camco inline filter is fine. Attaches to your hose.

RV toilet paper: Charmin Ultra Soft degrades just as quickly and is better for less money.

can opener / cork screw?

Fuses are easy: Just look at your panel...most like very standard fuses. Get an assortment of 10, 15, and 30's. From automotive store, Walmart, Tractor Supply, etc.. Easy to find.

Ditto on the rain gear...you WILL find yourself setting up or departing in pouring rain.

Clear Connector for Sewer Hose... It's nice to be able to see what's coming out of the hose...ugh...but you'll know when you've rinsed enough if you can see.

generator ...if you plan to boondock....takes a big one to power you AC, but a small, 2000 watt will let you charge your batteries, run you microwave, etc.. Plenty of info out there for you to research. We went with the Briggs & Stratton and are happy. Gas can & fuel stabilizer.

Golf umbrella...we bring 2 of them with us.

Tire inflator...we check our pressure at least every other day. We just have a little AC powered Campbell Hausfeld that serves us well. If no electrical hookup, we just plug into our generator. I would not want to have to rely on parking at a gas station compressor. You may already know, tire pressure is very important on a trailer.

Tire gauge...I found a dial, non-electronic gauge from Jaco (not Jayco) that I really like. The electric, digital ones are very popular, but I don't want to discover the battery has died when I need it.

Good battery charger: If you plan to boondock, and will be charging from a generator, you need a good, multi-stage charger. If your trailer comes with a WFCO convertor/charger, they claim to be multistage but do NOT work well. Progressive Dynamics makes a bolt in replacement for the charger portion of the WFCO. If you plan to boondocks, definitely research this. If not, don't worry.

Like coffee?...If you won't always be hooked to electrical, consider a french press. Heat your water in a pan. A french press doesn't take up much room.

Optional: vinyl picnic table cover/spread and clips.

Paper towel and a paper towel rack if trailer doesn't have it.

Basic cleaning supplies...interior and exterior. bucket.

Torque wrench: The lug wrench that might come with your trailer might not be long enough to really do you any good. We carry a simple, Sears torque wrench with a short extension and socket. Long enough to break nuts free, and accurate enough to torque them properly. Proper torque matters.

Plug adapter: in addition to the 30 amp to 15amp adapter, consider a 50amp to 30amp if your trailer is a 30 amp system. If you get a campsite that's 50 amp only, you're hosed.

Tire covers: vinyl covers for your tires. UV is your tire's enemy. We always store with them on.

Electric Drill: If your trailer has scissor jacks at it's four corners, a rechargeable, inexpensive hand drill makes deploying them quick and easy. You can get the right bit online, or at your dealer.

Bits: if you have a drill, you might as well have a set of bits, and screwdriver bits, too. Make sure, if your trailer uses the square drive screws (VERY common), that you have the right bit for them.

Grill?...if you're going to do any outside cooking. The Weber Q1200 is very popular with campers and boaters.

Thick Mat for Pass through storage: If you store your WDH stuff in your pass through area, then it's nice to have a nice thick mat or something to protect the floor. I'm always careful setting mine in there, but the stuff's heavy, so the mat offers some protection.

Walkie Talkies: They don't have to be expensive. I park and back the trailer and my wife is my spotter. I would not be without walkie talkies for that. Not everyone agrees...you decide. Now, if only I can get my wife to hold the button down the whole time she's talking...grrrrr

WD40...I agree with the previous poster regarding "useless stuff". It has no place on my trailer, either. There are much better lubricants. I do things like locks and stair hinges with Tri-Flow oil. I maintain a cruising sailboat and motorcycle, etc., and find little WD40 can do the the proper solvent or lube doesn't do much better.....but I digress.

Fire Extinquisher: you mentioned it, and like the previous poster said, your trailer may come with one. If it's the little one about the size of a beer can, like my new Jayco came with, that's a "fire souvenir"....in case of a fire, you just take it with you and watch your trailer burn. Get yourself one or two of a decent size and mount them where you can see them.

Plastic Drinking Glasses: They tend to be very expensive. We got ours at the Dollar Store. So far so good.

Toaster?...depends on whether you like toast, eh? It'll need an AC source, of course.

Rugs: vinyl floor in your trailer? You'll want an entry rug. We bought a vinyl backed rug that was larger than we needed, and custom cut it to cut the unusual space in the entryway of our 26BH. Large enough to actually use and keep mud out of the trailer, and provides a place to put our shoes.

Hooks: I found some nice metal double hooks at our local Meijer store (regional) that are very reasonably priced, and don't protrude much from the wall and pose a hazard. I put up a lot of them for coats, hats, keys (right at the door), etc..

fly swatter

welcome mat: we put one outside so we can wipe our feet before entering. We just bang it on a tree, brush off the back, and toss on top of the inside mat when we depart.

Patio Mat: optional...you might want to get one of the polypropylene mats...I think our's is 9x12. We store our's in the back of our pickup so we don't carry a bunch of bugs into the trailer. Kind of civilizes the campsite.

Dustpan...you might not need it. The threshold in our trailer allows us to just sweep stuff right out the door. Dustpan would only be in the way.

Small vacuum...we only have one because we bring our cats, and I need to vacuum there litter area in the pass through. We use it inside too, but not essential, really.

Voltage Meter: If you go with something more sophisticated, you may not need it, but we have a little unit that plugs into one of the inside AC outlets. Shows how many volts of AC we're actually getting...better than nothing.

Screen for Heater Vent: measure for the size you need and get it from your dealer or online. Keeps mud-daubers and other critters out.

Battery stuff:
You should carry distilled water with you for topping off your battery(s). Also, a voltmeter is a nice thing to have in your toolbox. Doesn't have to be expensive. I like a hygrometer for getting a true state of charge on my battery. A decent glass one's only about ten bucks.

water hose: we keep two, 25 footers on board. Most of the time one does the job, but it's good to have the spare. Gives us 50' capability without having to deal with a fifty foot hose all the time.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

tool kit (got it)

duct tape (got it)

wd-40

water pressure regulator (which one?)

extra fuses (get from dealership? How do you know what to buy?)

water filter (which kind?)

level (got it)

leveling blocks

wheel chocks

flashlight & batteries

fire extinguisher

smoke and carbon monoxide detector

freshwater hose (15')

normal hose

sewer hose (15')

nitrile gloves

power cord (how long?)

plug adapter

RV toilet paper

toilet treatment pods

What am I missing?
We always take about 50 ft fresh water hose nothing worse than having to move trailer just to top off water tank a little

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
alwalk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:13 AM   #6

Were I you, I would add one thing to your original list for your first few trips: A pencil and paper. If you realize there is something you need or want, write it down and you'll have it next time.

It's easy to spend a bucket of money on things you think you need only to find out don't. Then this stuff just takes up precious space either in the TT or your garage or basement at home. Ask me how I know.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #7

I would add a first aid kit.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:11 AM   #8

Remember you level the refrigerator not the trailer !
Old 01-21-2018, 04:48 AM   #9

Wow, I could only think of a few more:

Flashlights (plural)
Tire pressure monitoring system
Propane teflon tape
Campfire starter cubes
Propane tank lock
Battery lock

Ain't spending money on new hobbies cool??

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #10

Excellent thread for all of us going on here. I would suggest camping in the backyard for a weekend. When you go to grab for something and it isn't there, you can either go to the house or store and pick it up.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #11

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but you may need a cork screw if your a wine drinker.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #12

Items for an RV

This is an excellent list.

Here are some things I am adding:

Regarding EMS, I just purchased the Progressive Industries HW50C Hardwired EMS Surge & Electrical Protection- 50 Amps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I have talked to people on the forum and they say it is easy to install, but I am having Freightliner install it tomorrow.

I am also adding the EEZTire Tire Pressure Monitoring System - 6 Sensors (TPMS) (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009BEGV6S...BIFATO3Z&psc=0). I will be getting additional sensors for my tow vehicle.

My Seneca does not have a lot of plugs and USB ports for charging my cell phones and tables. Therefore, I added the Belkin SurgePlus 6-Outlet Wall Mount Surge Protector with Dual USB Charging Ports (2.1 AMP / 10 Watt), BSV602tt (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATZJ606...BIFATO3Z&psc=1)

For my water hose, I needed to purchase a Camco 22505 90 Degree Hose Elbow so I can close the door where I connect my water (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BZD03K...BIFATO3Z&psc=1). I did find this cheaper at Walmart.

For washing my RV I purchased Mary Moppins EZE Squeegee (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and Mary Moppins 13" Pure Lambswool Wash and Pad Holder (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Most importantly, adult beverages.
Bob, Marge and Whitney (German Shepard Dog)
Rafstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #13
Site Team

Buy your basics as mentioned above first, hoses, blocks, etc. Then, camp in your driveway for a weekend or two. Pretend that you are out on a trip and use the trailer for everything. Your goal should be to not have to go back in your house for several days.

Anyway, every time you go back in the house for something, add it to your basic stock list. Then, repeat this procedure over the course of your next several camping trips. By 3-4 trips, you should have a good handle on what you and your family will need. Remember, the basics are the same, but every family is different on the small things that we feel necessary to carry with us.

After your first travel season with your trailer is over (or every six months for you year round folks), go through your stocked supplies and remove anything that you haven't used (excluding emergency supplies). You will be surprised how many things that you once thought were important that you will never touch.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #14

Oops, I forgot.

A Camco 90 degree elbow has been mentioned, but get two of them.

One to be permanently attached to your city water inlet and one permanently attached to your black water flush. Not only do they put the hose at a better angle, they're brass, and will hold up much better than the plastic threaded fittings currently on your city water and black water flush.

And, if your trailer has an electric tongue jack, it's a good idea to put a cover on it. Even if it's just a bucket with a bungee cord. These units aren't sealed as well as they should be.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #15

Yes, cork screw and church key first and foremost!!

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #16

Great lists! I'm another that uses regular TP. Also like to see that my black water tank flush water is running clear.

Don't be surprised if you find your first problem requires something not covered here!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #17

..And don't be afraid to take stuff OFF the list.

The usual cycle is... load what seems useful.. find out half of it isn't... leave half of it at home next time, and find that you left the wrong half of the list,,

.. and so on.

It's a gradual refining process, and you do have to be a bit hard-nosed about what goes, and what stays... you're paying to haul all this stuff, don't forget!

Another deciding factor is... do you camp to Get Away From It All, or to Bring Most of It With You?

Most importantly.. remember to pack a sense of fun, and you'll be fine.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #18

I agree with all the above and my list will probably just duplicate it but here are a few things I got
Large Patio Mat - really helps with tracking in mud and keeping your area clean while sitting outside
Door mats for wiping feet
Rug outside of shower as bathroom floor is very slippery exiting shower
Blue CAMCO charcoal filter (attaches to fresh water hose) even though I usually don’t use for drinking CG water
A longer FW hose (I have a 25’ & 50’)
Lots of drinking water
Long sewer hose (some Full hookups sewers are just a bit farther away than others)
Disposable Gloves for sewer
Adapter to plug-in at home and a 30amp (trailer) to 50 amp campground
30 amp extension cord ( only used it once but glad I had it after setting up i was only one foot short and didn’t want to move trailer)
Lots of paper dishes to save on water
Lots of garbage bags - big and small (I also use large for dirty laundry)
Black Tank Chemicals - there are also many threads about how people flush their black tank - Calgon & laundry rinse & dawn - better to read up on that
Power surge protector - mine was only around $90 (on sale) and has been fine for me but there are higher quality ones out there
Water pressure regulator - again I just got a cheapie at dealer but I’m sure there are more fancy available
90* elbow for FW hose hookup
Sewer Totes & FW totes if you are not at Full Hookup (not yet bought one but is on my list - they larger ones that are made sturdy are not cheap - get one that is larger than your Black Tank)

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #19
Site Team

The only things you may add, are a hose "Y" connection, and a regular hose spray nozzle. The "Y" comes in handy for rinsing out all those "soda" cans or bottles you're recycling, and the spray nozzle for hosing down muddy mats, dogs, kids, etc. The Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X, or the hardwired version for 30 amp units is the best IMHO. We carry three 25', and a 10' and 4' water hoses, and two 25' 30 amp extension cords, besides a 50' regular extension cord. Sewer hoses two 10', and a 15'. Too long is OK, too short causes grief. Most of the time, we end up loaning cords and water hoses to neighbors who DID end up short.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #20

I mostly dry camp. As far as hoses go, I have two 25' drinking water hoses. I also have two 50' cheap flat roll up hoses that take up almost no space. The water flows slowly through them but it beats using a five gallon jug if I find myself a bit of a distance from the spigot.

Oh, and don't forget beer!